Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 01:52 PM
done12many2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!

Well guys,

I bought a UTEC from another forum member and upon arrival everything looked perfect as described. It was brand new in the box and had only been purchased directly from TXS Pty Limited two or three weeks earlier.

However when I went to check it out via the Hyper Terminal with the UTEC power supplied via a 9 volt battery, I noticed that I couldn't get it to link up at all. I tried getting it to work with three different computers and some fresh 9 volt batteries, but it was a no go. I tried serial cables, USB and even serial cables with a serial to USB adapter, but nothing.

Then I decided to give a re-flash a try, which went without any problems at all. Upon completion of the flash with 2.3, I was able to connect to the UTEC with no problems at all.

It struck me as weird that I had to do this, but no biggie at all. But there is more!

Once I knew that I could connect without any problems, I installed it in the Z as per the instructions which were extremely simple with the exception of squeezing the UTEC and OEM ECU back in the same area. It’s definitely tight in there and resulted in a little scratching on the side of the UTEC, but nothing major.

With the UTEC having a fresh flash and no setting changed at all, I started the car and it does not run right at all. It is basically stuck in limp mode and will not rev above 2000 RPMs at all. When you depress the accelerator, the motor slowly revs up to just below 2000 RPMs and will go no higher.

Being the genius that I am, I deduced that something was wrongL.

I then began to check to make sure that everything was hooked up correctly despite the fact that it is really kind of hard to hook up the UTEC wrong. This thing is definitely Plug and Play!

I then loaded the NA base map manually as per TurboXS’s instructions from their website and the Z was doing the exactly same thing. As a matter of fact, it didn’t matter what I changed, whether it be open/closed loop, or any other setting for that matter, the Z would just simply idle and not do much more than that.

I re-flashed it two more times and that didn’t work either.

I then check the data logging to see if anything stood out. The TPS sensor is working and voltage is fine. However the MAF is stuck at 1.6. It does not fluctuate at all. I suspect that this may be the problem, but am not an expert.

Bottom line is, the Z runs fine when I unplug the UTEC and will not run at anything above idle with it. I have read of several bad UTECs brand new out the box, but I expect this with any complex setup like this.

audiblemayhem told me that one of his buddies had the exact same problem, and it turned out to be a bad UTEC.

I just hope they warranty it. I looked at their site and it has a one year warranty and does not specify that it is not transferable. I have heard of nothing but positive things about TurboXS, so hopefully they can hook it up!

I really can’t fault the seller as he sold me a brand new UTEC that he had every reason to believe was fully functional. I know that he would have not known this as it is extremely obvious that this thing was never installed.

Last edited by done12many2; 05-20-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey man, i would make sure (not saying you didnt but it happens sometimes) that the utec is all the way plugged in on the stock ecu. sometimes they dont fully contact right. did you make sure that the utec is on map 1 on the selector switch on the side of it. then make sure you are putting info for the base map on in for map 1.

the other day i hit the map selector switch with my elbow on accident and my car went on to map 5. this map had no info on it and it ran just how you are saying. it wouldnt go above 3000 and it idles all messed up.

if you have the map selector switch. make sure your switch on the utec is on zero (i believe thats the number, read into that more to make sure)

i am thinking that there isnt anything wrong with it. probably just some setting on wrong and is an easy fix.

Originally Posted by done12many2
Well guys,

I bought a UTEC from another forum member and upon arrival everything looked perfect as described. It was brand new in the box and had only been purchased directly from TXS Pty Limited two or three weeks earlier.

However when I went to check it out via the Hyper Terminal with the UTEC power supplied via a 9 volt battery, I noticed that I couldn't get it to link up at all. I tried getting it to work with three different computers and some fresh 9 volt batteries, but it was a no go. I tried serial cables, USB and even serial cables with a serial to USB adapter, but nothing.

Then I decided to give a re-flash a try, which went without any problems at all. Upon completion of the flash with 2.3, I was able to connect to the UTEC with no problems at all.

It struck me as weird that I had to do this, but no biggie at all. But there is more!

Once I knew that I could connect without any problems, I installed it in the Z as per the instructions which were extremely simple with the exception of squeezing the UTEC and OEM ECU back in the same area. It’s definitely tight in there and resulted in a little scratching on the side of the UTEC, but nothing major.

With the UTEC having a fresh flash and no setting changed at all, I started the car and it does not run right at all. It is basically stuck in limp mode and will not rev above 2000 RPMs at all. When you depress the accelerator, the motor slowly revs up to just below 2000 RPMs and will go no higher.

Being the genius that I am, I deduced that something was wrongL.

I then began to check to make sure that everything was hooked up correctly despite the fact that it is really kind of hard to hook up the UTEC wrong. This thing is definitely Plug and Play!

I then loaded the NA base map manually as per TurboXS’s instructions from their website and the Z was doing the exactly same thing. As a matter of fact, it didn’t matter what I changed, whether it be open/closed loop, or any other setting for that matter, the Z would just simply idle and not do much more than that.

I re-flashed it two more times and that didn’t work either.

I then check the data logging to see if anything stood out. The TPS sensor is working and voltage is fine. However the MAF is stuck at 1.6. It does not fluctuate at all. I suspect that this may be the problem, but am not an expert.

Bottom line is, the Z runs fine when I unplug the UTEC and will not run at anything above idle with it. I have read of several bad UTECs brand new out the box, but I expect this with any complex setup like this.

audiblemayhem told me that one of his buddies had the exact same problem, and it turned out to be a bad UTEC.

I just hope they warranty it. I looked at their site and it has a one year warranty and does not specify that it is not transferable. I have heard of nothing but positive things about TurboXS, so hopefully they can hook it up!

I really can’t fault the seller as he sold me a brand new UTEC that he had every reason to believe was fully functional. I know that he would have not known this as it is extremely obvious that this thing was never installed.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:33 PM
done12many2

I sure hope you are right bro! I am trying to get up with you on AIM. Hit me up when you get a chance!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 PM
done12many2

I have tried just about everything possible. I am posting some screen shot of the UTEC settings so that all the experts can check it out.

As it stands right now, the UTEC is loaded with the Base NA Map from TurboXS on Map1. The NA Parameters from TurboXS are loaded as well.

The Map selector on the UTEC is set to Map1 as I do not have a Map Selector Switch.

I pulled the codes being thrown whenever the UTEC is hooked up. This a copy from the Cipher itself.

5/21/06
-------- ECU --------

Found: 3 codes!
P1122,Electronic Throttle Control Actuator
P0102,MAF Sensor
P1126,Throttle Control Motor Relay

5/21/06
-------- ECU --------

Found: 2 codes!
P1122,Electronic Throttle Control Actuator
P1126,Throttle Control Motor Relay

I have reflashed the UTEC using the default settings from the flash and it's the same thing. I have also tried all default settings on all Maps which should do nothing different.

Regardless of what I adjust, the UTEC continues to do the exact same thing. As soon as you disconnect it and run the OEM ECU alone the car runs perfect with no codes.

The following are all the screen shots I thought might be useful to anyone who is familiar with the UTEC.
Attached Thumbnails UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-map-parameters-screen.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-map-1-fuel-shot-1.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-map-1-fuel-shot-2.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-map-1-timing-shot-1.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-map-1-timing-shot-2.jpg  

Last edited by done12many2; 05-20-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:57 PM
done12many2

More screen shots:
Attached Thumbnails UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-map-1-boost-shot-1.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-map-1-boost-shot-2.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-parameters-screen.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-parameters-user-constraints-screen.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-parameters-knock-constants-screen.jpg  

Old 05-20-2006, 09:59 PM
done12many2

A few more:
Just for clarification, the Dashboard shot was taken with the UTEC unplugged from the Wiring Harness running on a 9 volt battery.
Attached Thumbnails UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-parameters-special-constants-screen.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-parameters-open-loop-fueling-screen.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-parameters-temperature-comp-screen.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-parameters-user-constraints-screen.jpg   UTEC (Brand New) Not Working!!-dashboard-with-utec-on-9volt-battery.jpg  

Old 05-20-2006, 10:59 PM
wren57
Banned

Have you tried running it with the map selector switched to 0?

Are both the little switches inside the UTEC just below the TurboXS logo switched down towards the connectors?

The map you have loaded looks fine to me, identical to my map #1. If you can get a screenshot of the dashboard while connected to the ECU while the Z is running it *might help...
Old 05-21-2006, 06:52 AM
Z PHAT Z

Just contact Turbo XS to get it fix or get a new one. My friend just got the same problem. Brand new Utec and it's not working. He sent it back to Trubo XS and I have to lend him my Utec which work like a charm.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:42 AM
done12many2

Z PHAT Z,

I am calling them tomorrow (Monday) morning.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:56 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Zexy had a similar problem, had to send his back
Old 05-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Zexy

I am the guy who had the problem with the faulty unit that ZU L8R and audiblemayhem talked about.

I had the same exact problem when i got my first UTEC. I checked the connections about ten times, unplugged and plugged several times as well. I have also tried to troubleshoot with Jermaine over the phone and nothing. My rev went up until 2k real slowly and my CEL went off.

Give Jermaine a call. You will most likely have to send the unit back like i did. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:15 AM
done12many2

WOW!! Talk about a no-nonsense, straight to business, company. Jermaine at TurboXS took about 2 minutes to determine that I needed to send the unit back.

They are currently out of stock at the moment, but he is going to go ahead and test the unit in his car. I just hope it’s not on back order too long as I am moving to North Carolina in June! Plan on going out to meet Sharif and the other guys @ forgedinternals when I get there!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:49 AM
ktown z

done12many2- I read that you purchased the utec by 3rd party. Did turboxs ask you where you purchased it from and did they give you any problems? Thanks James
Old 06-15-2006, 07:45 PM
done12many2

Got the new UTEC in and after some help from Jermaine over the phone, had it up and running less than a minute after talking to him. I am going to start a seperate thread regarding that conversation and the help that he provided. It may benifit other UTEC owners.