Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs
View Poll Results: How do you connect to your UTEC?
I have only used USB
59.38%
I tried to use USB, but it was unreliable so now I use serial
15.63%
I have only used serial
25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

UTEC via USB or Serial, a poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda Ghandi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenk2
I actually just went out and purchased another usb---->serial adapter and it is working great.. I had to install the driver that came with it(hidden in the box too) but it does in fact work great.. Some generic POS for $20..

Did you install the drivers for it?

Yeah I have a USB-Serial adapter that I use for tuning AEM EMS cars that I have never had a problem with until now. I was wondering if there is a certain sequence that the unit had to be connected in to work also. I am not familiar with using hyperterminal for this type of unit. I am going to give the USB a try today, if that dosnt work I will call TXS for help.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

For my laptop USB->Serial adaptor I use this:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC232A

It's the ONLY device i've seen before where you can tell windows to automatically search for updates on the internet for the driver when you first connect it and have windows update actually find a driver for it. I run it under windows xp and it works great. Only problem is I can never find this adapter at a local best buy/micro center etc...

So no need for a driver on a disc or anything, just an internet connection to tell the laptop to use microsoft update to find a driver. (you probably wanna run windows xp on your laptop as I havent tried it on a win2k or older OS)

As for HyperTerminal, open it up, and try swapping the COM ports from COM1 thru whatever other COM ports you may have. Set the baud rate to 19200 and 8,N,1, no flow control on the other settings.

Another way to see what COM port your USB adapter is actually using is to open up HyperTerminal w/ the USB adaptor not connected and write down the COM ports, then close HyperTerminal, connect the USB->Serial adapter (wait for windows to do it's thing with detecting the USB adaptor), and re-open HyperTerminal and recheck the COM ports you can use (the pull down box for "Connect Using" when creating a new connection) and you should see 1 or 2 new COM ports. The new COM ports will be the one's you want to try and those alone. You may need to have to hit the enter key or space bar to send some characters to the port to get the UTEC to respond back. If you see just funky looking characters and jargon when you type something you most likely have an incorrect baud rate so double check your baud rate on your connection to make sure it's set to 19200, and if not create a new connection and reconfigure it with the correct COM port that showed up when you connected the USB adapter.

Last edited by Juztin; 09-01-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Honda Ghandi

I did all of that. I figured it out though. Turns out the hyperterminal has an issue with conncetion when the plug is disconnected.

When I installed the ECU/UTEC back in the car it came loose. All is well now, thanks for the help. Now to put her on the dyno!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 AM
theroy

hey guys im a new member wich is having the black hyperterminal screen problem it seems that i followed the instructions but when i connect the utec nthg happens im using a usb cable so plz if can anyone provide some help ill appreciate it thx
Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 AM
cwylie

I never could get mine to connect through usb with Vista. The reason you are seeing serial ports go away is intel is no longer supporting it on their MB's.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by theroy
hey guys im a new member wich is having the black hyperterminal screen problem it seems that i followed the instructions but when i connect the utec nthg happens im using a usb cable so plz if can anyone provide some help ill appreciate it thx
Holy #$@%^%^ this is an old thread... 1st did you install the USB driver? 2nd are you using the right Com port?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM
SmokyTyrz

OP you need to search some more this topic has been quite covered.

Check for my posts. In one of them I describe how not all USB-serial adapters are built the same. Most brands go super cheap and do not make all of the connections inside the serial port. They will do a ground, one or two signal wires, and that's it. If your device happens to use a different signal wire location, then you're eff'd.

I've taken three cables that did not work and made them work by correcting the pin assignments. Usually this means you have to mutilate the serial port a bit to get into it. Higher quality models come apart easier, but then again they usually pin their ports better so you don't need to go inside them.

I can't remember which pin the UTEC is using right now. It's been too long and I don't even have my Z anymore.

Here's my recommendation to all.... here's a link to the best USB-serial adapter I have ever used. It works on everything to which it has ever been connected, from r/c helicopter programming to network console ports... I never had a chance to try it on the UTEC, but if it didn't work it would be the only device not to.

http://www.mscompositusa.com/usb-ada...-software.html
Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
athenG

Unless you are using the TurboXS Tuner then dont make things complicated, Utec has a straight USB connection and just make sure install the driver and bingo you are connected.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
cwylie

I can't get it to connect on USB. I got the belking usb adapter and it will connect fine for about 30 seconds then drop connection.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by cwylie
I can't get it to connect on USB. I got the belking usb adapter and it will connect fine for about 30 seconds then drop connection.
So I assume you installed the USB driver that came with Utec right? Sorry I had to ask it because some are dumb with computer stuff...
Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 PM
cwylie

Yeah I did install the usb drivers. I could not get it to connect in hyperterminal.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
frankie945

Yeah I did install the usb drivers. I could not get it to connect in hyperterminal.
I was running window XP never had any luck with the usb so I went the route Turbo XS is using that is serial to usb. The best adaptor to get is the berklin. I might have spelled it wrong. I paid $80 for mine it has a fast transfer rate.

Now I bought a brand new labtop with vista and can not get the haltech to work with it yet. It loads to 70% and windows shuts it down. I still need to play around with it a bit. Hal uses vista so I know it works with the Haltech. Hooked up my old laptop with Windows XP installed and it worked fine. Vista is crapy software IMO. Windows XP never any problems with the Utec or the Haltech.

When Windows 7 comes out all the problems with vista will be fixed I hope.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
frankie945

Originally Posted by athenG
Holy #$@%^%^ this is an old thread... 1st did you install the USB driver? 2nd are you using the right Com port?
Hey athenG are you using XP or Vista ?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
cwylie

Im using vista
Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by frankie945
Hey athenG are you using XP or Vista ?
I'm using XP

Im using vista
Your SOL.. If the driver that come with Utec dont work then check Turboxs if they have driver for Vista.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no issues with either.
I use the serial port when I am connected via the Tuner to the UTEC. I use the direct usb connection on the UTEC whenever I need to update the software. both work perfectly well.

on the serial connection, I have used both a direct serial connection (on my old laptop) or a dynex usb-serial adapter.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 AM
theroy

guys im using windows xp i installed the usb driver and followed the instructions of the manual on turboxs.com but i still dont get the black screen on the hyperterminal when i get connected:S
Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by theroy
guys im using windows xp i installed the usb driver and followed the instructions of the manual on turboxs.com but i still dont get the black screen on the hyperterminal when i get connected:S
So you sure you are using the right com port and I know it is stupid but did you hit any key or enter when you connect? what do you mean you dont get the black screen? It dont matter what color as long as you see the utec menu..
Old 02-07-2009, 06:14 AM
theroy

yeah i mean the utec menu not the black screen itself... yeah i was searching all over the internet and some people were just saying to click either:enter,esc,ctr e,d,x...although i didnt try it yet(monday i will) but i was searching for a guaranteed way...or for somebody explaining why is it happening so i try to fix it thx guys
Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya just hit a key (i use tab) and the UTEC menu will pop up

Quick Reply: UTEC via USB or Serial, a poll