Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

New UTEC GUI in the works! Need input for features!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:46 PM
SmokyTyrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenk2
OK fellas lets at least try to keep this one thread out of 1,000,000,000,000 on this forum on topic please..

TIA
+1 Although I'm not sure if this is 100% on topic...but we were discussing widebands and AFR targets, and tuning...

Are folks suggesting that tapping off the factory wideband on my 06 could do the job, and I don't need to install the Bosch O2 that came with the TXS Tuner?

That doesn't seem right, so I must be misunderstanding. I thought you couldn't share the OEM O2 for logging duties (and I thought the OEM O2 did not provide the correct voltage or something for the TXS TunerWB)??
Old 08-31-2006, 12:39 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Someone suggested using the factory wideband info if you could run a cable to your laptop from the OBDII and the software read the values/bridged it the way that the mps_uteclogger software bridges the AEM (using another serial port). In that case it just reads the values of the OBDII data. Voltage is not an issue since its not connected to the UTEC. Sounds possible to me if the factory wideband data is available via the OBDII but again not all model years came with wideband.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the factory wideband jumps around a lot. i would use the bosch wideband you have with your tuner for sure.

datalogging charts using color graphs with a timeline is really cool on the greddy EU. the EU just sucks cause it scales off the stock ecu and the stock ecu does some crazy ****...
Old 08-31-2006, 04:37 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 Target AFR
Old 08-31-2006, 05:19 AM
chimmike

another thing that would be nice, 2 step or launch control! Maybe a gear-sensitive boost control system?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 AM
SmokyTyrz

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Someone suggested using the factory wideband info if you could run a cable to your laptop from the OBDII and the software read the values/bridged it the way that the mps_uteclogger software bridges the AEM (using another serial port). In that case it just reads the values of the OBDII data. Voltage is not an issue since its not connected to the UTEC. Sounds possible to me if the factory wideband data is available via the OBDII but again not all model years came with wideband.
Ok, so in other words it is possible.... like light-speed travel is possible...but just not feasible. Just checkin...I just wanted to be sure I wasn't about to install an additional WB O2 for nothing. And by the sound of it, the installing the additiuonal WB O2 is much easier. thx!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:27 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
Ok, so in other words it is possible.... like light-speed travel is possible...but just not feasible. Just checkin...I just wanted to be sure I wasn't about to install an additional WB O2 for nothing. And by the sound of it, the installing the additiuonal WB O2 is much easier. thx!
LOL yes possible, but not easy or probable. ...and if they did do it, it would only work with that specific custom software.

Originally Posted by chimmike
another thing that would be nice, 2 step or launch control! Maybe a gear-sensitive boost control system?
not possible until TXS adds those features in the firmware/hardware.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
Ken,

As I understand it (and I could have read bad info), currently the MPS UTEC Logger does work, at least partially, with the 350Z UTEC when used in "Evo" mode (see this my350z forum for details).

Check it out if you have not yet:
http://www.mpsav.com/MPSUTECLogger/M...r_Download.htm
Yea I am aware of this program as I have it installed on my laptop and have used it..

I want to have somethig better. As we all know, it does work with our cars, but its not specifically made for them. Plus its just a logging tool.. Mine is going to totally replace HT.

In reference to logging with the Wideband 02 sensor from 04'5 and +..

I feel that having 2 cables running in your car to tune is pretty much a pain.. All we really need is a cable to run from the utec or tuner, not both..

IMO, if you buy a utec you really need the tuner anyways.. Why should you have 2 cables runnin whne you can only have 1??
Old 08-31-2006, 06:35 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

So you are not going to support the AEM or Innovate serial wideband functionality? That would be too bad as most of us have a wideband gauge with serial support and don't need to buy the tuner/tuner pro in addition. Two cables isnt the end of the world.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 AM
SmokyTyrz

But if you have the Tuner then you HAVE to access the log from the Tuner, and not just cable the Tuner to the UTEC and continue to log-in using the UTEC. Is that correct? I wish it weren't... I'd like to continue using USB on the UTEC!

So you want to replace HT entirely? Are you going to get this software into a flash-rom within the UTEC somehow? How much space is left on the rom that is there now?

I'm all for this man..I just hope you don't hit too many roadblocks. My company does this all day long, so I may just be a little jaded...it's amazing how a corporation can make things so overly complex when they do not need to be.

I applaud your effort! And I can't wait to see what comes of it. The Evo and the Subby crowd have had fancy-shmancy tuner software this whole time. Now it's OUR turn!!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:46 AM
chimmike

yes, please make it possible to use an AEM or innovate wideband setup with the UTEC! I'm gonna run utec but DON'T want to run the tuner to tune it all!

BTW, if it helps, i've got the innovate XD/LC setup, not the LM-1.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:54 AM
Kenk2
Professional

So you are not going to support the AEM or Innovate serial wideband functionality? That would be too bad as most of us have a wideband gauge with serial support and don't need to buy the tuner/tuner pro in addition. Two cables isnt the end of the world.

I am not familiar with those widebands.. I guess I wasnt really ready for those to come into the picture right now.. I am not going to say that we wont have them in the software at all, just need to do some more research on them.. Is there any way you can send me any info on whatever it is you have and I will go from there.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:06 AM
drumma022

IIRC, I believe most of the aftermarket types use the 0-5v outputs.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:08 AM
chimmike

www.innovatemotorsports.com I think is the website for innovate's widebands, and yes they use 0-5v outputs.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:10 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

It is pretty simple actually. The AEM UEGO has a serial interface. If you connect HT to it you can see that it simply dumps out the A/F values line by line (one value per line eg. 14.5). So you just need to read them and correllate them to the log lines that the UTEC dumps and of course provide port connectivity (baud rate, port selection). I'd strongly suggest you take a good look at both UTI and MPS_UTEClogger, they both do it.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 AM
Kenk2
Professional

It is pretty simple actually. The AEM UEGO has a serial interface. If you connect HT to it you can see that it simply dumps out the A/F values line by line (one value per line eg. 14.5). So you just need to read them and correllate them to the log lines that the UTEC dumps and of course provide port connectivity (baud rate, port selection). I'd strongly suggest you take a good look at both UTI and MPS_UTEClogger, they both do it.
Yea I have been reading about them the last couple hours since you guys mentioned them.. I really dont see a problem with adding those as a feature too
Old 08-31-2006, 07:55 AM
SmokyTyrz

My guess is that once you have the script built to capture, log, and save the data stream from one 0-5v input, then you'll be able to tweak it to accommodate the other "platforms" such as AEM.

Folks...keep in mind that what Ken is doing is kind of monumental. Such big steps need to find compromise somewhere. That's what a Beta or v1.0 is for... to get the most important features out first, test functionality in the field, and then get more feedback to be fed into v2.0.

Given that we've all gone so long without a dedicated GUI for the UTEC, and given that things like the MPS logger do handle non TurboXS platforms, I would say that it is fair to expect the scope of v1.0 to only include the TurboXS family.

Adding AEM, etc cross-platform support would be very appropriately introduced in a 1.5 patch or in the subsequent v2.0.

Obviously, Ken will make his own choices about design requirements for this version. He is doing an incredibly smart thing by soliciting input now.. keep it coming! But remember that the feature you suggest may be better suited for v2.0 rather than v1.0.

My vote is that the scope of v1.0 focus strictly within the TurboXS family of products. That way there is less testing, less bug-cleaning, and fewer variables. Having the feedback in this thread is important because now Ken can consider how to code the GUI such that it will be easy to scale to additional platforms later without havin to redesign the entire architecture.

And then we can get the v1.0 out sooner and get to testing!

Ken: I volunteer to be part of the Beta test group.
I am too new to this and am afraid I do not have the cahoneys to part of your Alpha group. But definitely sign me up as a Beta tester, assuming you decide to do it in phases like that.

Cheers,
-Smoky
Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

whatever but it is completely useless to me without AEM UEGO support as it will be for anyone else without the tuner/tuner pro.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A target A:F would be nice, but this would be better. Make the Target A:F so that you can set different Targets for each load column. For example, I don't want 11.5:1 when I am only in the 10% and 20% load columns (1-2.9 psi in my case). I want to be able to run it leaner at load loads!
Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by QuadCam
A target A:F would be nice, but this would be better. Make the Target A:F so that you can set different Targets for each load column. For example, I don't want 11.5:1 when I am only in the 10% and 20% load columns (1-2.9 psi in my case). I want to be able to run it leaner at load loads!

that's a good point too, adjusting for load using something other than TPS.......say you're climbing a mountain, you can get into boost much easier without having to floor the throttle, the partial throttle boost can lead to a lean condition, and TPS adjustments to load maps won't make much difference to it.

and yes, I have the innovate LC-1. It'd be useless to me without some way to tie that into my logging information for datalogging. Otherwise I just have to get my info from 2 different sources (can be a pain because I can't log RPM with the LC1 setup I have!

Quick Reply: New UTEC GUI in the works! Need input for features!