Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

New UTEC GUI in the works! Need input for features!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:47 AM
SmokyTyrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TXS GUI is still coming. They never promised it with the latest upgrade. In fact, BlackTuner made several posts to that effect.

But the more GUI's the merrier, I say. My guess is that the folks building GUIs here will deliver first. By SEMA we should hopefully have the TXS GUI. And then we can choose which tools we use.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
The TXS GUI is still coming. They never promised it with the latest upgrade. In fact, BlackTuner made several posts to that effect.

But the more GUI's the merrier, I say. My guess is that the folks building GUIs here will deliver first. By SEMA we should hopefully have the TXS GUI. And then we can choose which tools we use.
I agree. I had been hoping that TXS would have started beta testing something by now. I really hope Ken gets his out first.You would what they say about the "early bird".
Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Bump for updates.

Well it doesn't look like TXS has a new GUI for us to download(Boo TXS!) so it's pretty much up to Ken (Hooray Ken!) to save us all from hypertreminal Hell.
LMAO!!

We are working on this, and its going slow.. I will know more by the end of the day today..

Ken
Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Kenk2
LMAO!!

We are working on this, and its going slow.. I will know more by the end of the day today..

Ken

It's Ken!!! Hoooray Ken!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Havok_RLS2

Bump for updates.

Ken, You should also think about creating a way for you to accept "donations" to cover some of you development cost. I can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't mind showing my support for a finished working product.

PM if interested.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
SmokyTyrz

+1 I'd donate if we're 100% sure something is coming. Saves me having to hire a developer myself. :-)
Old 10-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
+1 I'd donate if we're 100% sure something is coming. Saves me having to hire a developer myself. :-)

make that +2. lol
Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Havok_RLS2

Sounds good to me.

You paying attention Ken? The My350z community has spoken.

We have a problem... We throw money at it!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:05 AM
race4it

New UTEC GUI in the works! Need input for features!
I have decided to have a friend of mine write up a nice little GUI interface for the utec/tuner. The software will totally replace Hyperterminal as far as logging and changing values. What I need from everyone who is willing to contribute is to let me know what functions you would like in the program to help make tuning this car easier.

Basically I would like to do whatever we can do in Hyperterminal, add a few nice little features and like you said, make it more pleasing to the eye.. Not really trying to reinvent the wheel..
You can't add or change ANY features in the UTEC (certainly not a target AFR) just by building a GUI interface. At best it would only be an easier interface to use, but it would need to be updated everytime TurboXS changed/updated the UTEC screens and you would be risking potential disaster if this new interface made a mistake updating the UTEC parameters.

The old school green screen DOS like interface the UTEC currently uses may not be familiar to most people today, but by now all of the tuners should be very good with it, and once tuned it's not something that changes often. Personally I'd MUCH rather see TurboXS spend their limited development dollars adding functionality instead of flash.

A GUI interface will not make our cars run any faster or any smoother, nor will it allow tuners to work any faster or do a better job tuning our cars, so why bother?

Last edited by race4it; 10-28-2006 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:18 AM
cersoft

Originally Posted by race4it
A GUI interface will not make our cars run any faster or any smoother, nor will it allow tuners to work any faster or do a better job tuning our cars, so why bother?
I don't think it's a case of people wanting to make their cars run any faster per say (although a better tune will certainly do this), I know that I find the kind of feedback that the loggers give is just not that usefull, that is why I am working on the datalogger, I'm just taking the information that is already there and presenting it to the tuner in a fashion that can be used more effectively ...

For example, if you know what you want the AFR to be then my app will look at the afr that your current tune is producing and tell you the difference, and at least for now on FI applications it will build a new map for you that is more ideal.

Unfortunately you still need to use the hyperterminal to upload the new map but this is something that I will look at later.

So I don't think our efforts are futile, I for one have learned so much about how my car makes power and how to increase it.

Colin
Old 10-28-2006, 08:36 AM
race4it

Originally Posted by cersoft
I don't think it's a case of people wanting to make their cars run any faster per say (although a better tune will certainly do this), I know that I find the kind of feedback that the loggers give is just not that usefull, that is why I am working on the datalogger, I'm just taking the information that is already there and presenting it to the tuner in a fashion that can be used more effectively ...

For example, if you know what you want the AFR to be then my app will look at the afr that your current tune is producing and tell you the difference, and at least for now on FI applications it will build a new map for you that is more ideal.

Unfortunately you still need to use the hyperterminal to upload the new map but this is something that I will look at later.

So I don't think our efforts are futile, I for one have learned so much about how my car makes power and how to increase it.

Colin
Colin:

It sounds like the tools you are building are on the output/reporting side since you're taking data from the logger. That makes good sense to me, and if you have developed a good algarithm to help you adjust the numbers in the fuel and timing map then that sounds good too.

My point though was that if I have to chose between new functionality or a GUI interface then that's an easy choice for me. And TurboXS is a small company with excellent products but limited resources.

Also, I do not believe that a 3rd party can add any functionality to the UTEC by building a new GUI interface. It's just not technically possible, and for me I would not be willing to assume the risk of putting 3rd party software between me and the UTEC. A bug in that software could cause my engine to pop.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:47 AM
cersoft

Gotcha, and I totally agree that you cannot extend the UTEC in terms of actual features, we can merely hope to supplement and complement what is already a great EMU.

Originally Posted by race4it
Colin:

It sounds like the tools you are building are on the output/reporting side since you're taking data from the logger. That makes good sense to me, and if you have developed a good algarithm to help you adjust the numbers in the fuel and timing map then that sounds good too.

My point though was that if I have to chose between new functionality or a GUI interface then that's an easy choice for me. And TurboXS is a small company with excellent products but limited resources.

Also, I do not believe that a 3rd party can add any functionality to the UTEC by building a new GUI interface. It's just not technically possible, and for me I would not be willing to assume the risk of putting 3rd party software between me and the UTEC. A bug in that software could cause my engine to pop.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Kenk2
Professional

Yea guys I am still here.. I apologize for not giving you guys updates.. Basically I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.. I will not accept any money from anyone. Its a nice thought but I wont do it. IF TXS does come out with a GUI, I would feel really bad about getting anything from anyone.. Right now the project is on hold until further notice..
Old 10-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Havok_RLS2

Yea guys I am still here.. I apologize for not giving you guys updates.. Basically I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.. I will not accept any money from anyone. Its a nice thought but I wont do it. IF TXS does come out with a GUI, I would feel really bad about getting anything from anyone.. Right now the project is on hold until further notice..
NOOOOoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!