Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

I'm at a loss..need help...cannot connect to the TXS Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my tuner actually does have two db9 connectors...its the pro. i am hoping one is for the utec and the other is for a computer connection
Old 10-05-2006, 01:13 PM
NETSHARK

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
I'll try anything at this point.

The adapter I have is an Equinox RJ11
Manufacturer Equinox Systems
Additional Information Wires per Cable: 8 wires
Manufacturer Part Number 210085
Number of Connectors 2
Form Factor External
Connector Details 1 x 9-pin D-Sub (DB-9) Female
1 x RJ-11
Shipping Dimensions 2.00" Height x 2.00" Width x 2.00" Depth
Product Name Network Adapter
Shipping Weight 0.03 lb
Packaged Quantity 1
Platform Support PC
Package Type Retail

So here's what I've learned, and maybe this is the problem, thx to Audible for making me double check the RJ-11/12 distinction, as this led me to check other things...

So I finally figured it was time to see what's going on inside these serial plugs. So I popped the two I have open.

The RJ12 (!) provided with the TunerXS is a 3-pin, connected to pins 1, 3, and 5.

The Equinox RJ11 has 8 pins filled, with pin 9 empty. Pins 1 and 6 seem to be jumped together.

The Tuner instruction manual says the DB9 pins should wired using 2, 3, and 5!!

So if the instructions are correct, then the DB9 serial to RJ adapter provided by TXS has been built incorrectly.

Unfortunately I do not have a pin removal tool so I cannot fix it to try it. Guess I'll swing by Radio Shack tomorrow and pick one up and some more connectors.

Too bad the serial port on the new RJ11 I have is jumpered, or I could swap it in. But they are poorly soldered connections. And I can't reuse the RJ11 because I'm positive now that it is supposed to be RJ12, and this one simply isn't pinned correctly on the RJ side anyway.

What I should do is just go buy my own and start from scratch. But if I can get away with slipping one pin out and moving it over one notch, then I'll do that.

Anyone else want to double check their rj to serial adapter and tell me which pins are filled on the db9?

They are easy to pop open. The serial plug is locked in with four small tabs near each corner of the serial plug mounting plate.
Slip a small flat head screwdriver under one side of the plug, gently lift and simulatenously use your finger to push back one of the corner tabs, allowing the mounting plate to move past the tab. Do the same with the other corner on the same side, and then the serial plug should just slip out of the mount.

There usually isn't much wire between the serial plug and the mount, so don't pull it out too far.

The left portion of this image shows how DB9 plug pins are ordered:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/14-k.gif

TXS instructions say 2,3, and 5. As delivered mine is 1, 3, and 5.

What is yours???

Thx!
Your right !!! i got the same wrong pinned 1-3-5 adapter, just moved the black wire from pin 1 to pin 2 and now it does work !! its now 2-3-5, missed with the adapter for 30 mins finally got the pin coming out by using a needle, Thank you Smoky

TXS Should take this into account.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:52 PM
SmokyTyrz

I suspect a bad batch went out. Or there is one guy out of three who doesn't know how to do it.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Ok.. Rather than create a new thread, here's my problem. I can connect just to both my UTEC and Tuner from my desktop. But, when i switch over to use my laptop, my HT says that there is something else using my connection. I have nothing else hooked up, so i don't know what to do. I tried to do what's listed in the 2nd post, but i only have an LT1 connection to click on, no COM ports. How do i create a COM port or get my USB's to work?? I suppose i can try hooking my digital camera and see if something happens? I bought this laptop used and i have no idea what's been installed or what's been erased. I deleted all the worthless things i don't need and it still wont connect. I'm using the same wires i used on the desktop, so i know those are good to go. Any ideas??
Old 10-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Road Warrior

suby,

i think you are using a com port that is already been assigned. go into hardware properties and see what com the usb is using. then in ht, assign the port the usb is using for your connection. good luck
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 PM
NETSHARK

I guess that the USB on UTEC will be disabled after connecting the UTEC to TUNER, the only thing will be available the RJ11 Port on Tuner haven`t try it actually but someone should conform this please.

If your Laptop Doesn`t have Serial Port, you have to buy a USB to Serial Adapter, the thing will go like this

UTEC[Serial Port]-------(Serial Cable)------[Serial Port]Tuner[RJ11 Port]-----(RJ11 Cable)-----[RJ11 to Serial Adapter]------[USB to Serial Adapter "Serial Port Side"]-----------[USB to Serial Adapter "USB Side"]------[USB Port on Your Laptop]

I know its a little complicated but when you look at it more times you will realize it

Anyway after you use the USB to Serial Adapter after installing the Drivers it will show in Ports near the LPT1 Port.

P.S. if nothing showed up that means you have to modify the Pins on the RJ11 Adapter check out Smoky`s post.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

ok.. here's where i'm at now. I hooked up my digital camera to the USB and it found it right away. It said i was using "location 0" in my disk drives, not ports or USB. Then, when i hook up my Tuner or UTEC, it wont see it and it wont give me an option to connect to "location 0". Com 3 is the only location available and it says something else is using it. HELP!

EDIT:

Ok, i just pluged my camera into my desktop and it said the same thing as my laptop does. Location 0. But when i pulled out the camera out of that USB port and pluged in the Tuner, a new com port popped up for me to use in HT. Why wont my laptop do the same thing? Do i need to update drivers, download something, maybe update the Hyperterminal??

Last edited by Nic@CiNcity; 10-30-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
SmokyTyrz

Ok, go to the store and buy a "USB to serial adapter". Then plug that in, install the drivers, then try Hyperterminal again. You will see a new com port.

Then post back
Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Smoky, I pm'd you, but i figure i'll post out here too. Maybe it'll help someone else down the road?

I did buy a USB to serial. Since my laptop doesn't have a db9 connection, i had to. On my desktop, i just use the db9 connection. Although i did try it out hooked up to the USB adapter and it worked just the same except in a different port. But when i bought this adapter, it didn't come with any software or anything?? Can i maybe find it online somehow or have someone send me a copy by email or something??
Old 10-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Its gotta come with a little disk.. WHen I bought mine, the disk was stuck in the back in between that back cover and cardboard.. I was trying to figure it out too as I went online to try and find the drivers.. Tear the whole box apart and maybe it will be there.. If not, try and go to their website..
Old 10-31-2006, 06:18 AM
Road Warrior

go to circiut city and get the belkin usb to db9 adaptor...comes with disk and works like a champ
Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Originally Posted by Kenk2
Its gotta come with a little disk.. WHen I bought mine, the disk was stuck in the back in between that back cover and cardboard.. I was trying to figure it out too as I went online to try and find the drivers.. Tear the whole box apart and maybe it will be there.. If not, try and go to their website..

SUCCESS!!!!! Installed the drivers off the website since the cable i bought came with nothing. Connected both my UTEC and Tuner to my laptop and Bada Bing, a new com port opened up. Works great! Now i'm off to go do my install. Hopefully i'll be able to put my motor in tomorrow once my new Greddy manifold gets here (Took my used set to the machinest who proceeded to grind the entire flange off the passenger side manifold! . Long story short, they bought me a new manifold shipped from Japan that should arrive tomorrow.)

Thank you guys for all your help. Wouldn't have ever figured this out with out it. I'm sure i'll be back for more once i start ripping the dash apart to get these in. Any pointers or suggestions you guys have about installing??

Last edited by Nic@CiNcity; 10-31-2006 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:44 AM
Kenk2
Professional

NICE!!

Hope all goes well.. If you Have tme, Take pics of your total install as I am considering doing the same thing... Good luck bro!

Last edited by Kenk2; 10-31-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:50 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

I've got at least 100 pictures right now. I'm trying to get every angle i can of every step i make to hopefully help someone else out down the road. Will deaf take pics of my EMS going in and how i routed everything to add to my list. Seem to see alot of posts about how people run things through the firewall. I'm still not entirely sure about how to do myself, but then again, i haven't really gotten that far since i've been ripping my hair out trying to get my laptop to work!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Subrwho
SUCCESS!!!!! Installed the drivers off the website since the cable i bought came with nothing. Connected both my UTEC and Tuner to my laptop and Bada Bing, a new com port opened up. Works great! Now i'm off to go do my install. Hopefully i'll be able to put my motor in tomorrow once my new Greddy manifold gets here (Took my used set to the machinest who proceeded to grind the entire flange off the passenger side manifold! . Long story short, they bought me a new manifold shipped from Japan that should arrive tomorrow.)

Thank you guys for all your help. Wouldn't have ever figured this out with out it. I'm sure i'll be back for more once i start ripping the dash apart to get these in. Any pointers or suggestions you guys have about installing??
sweeet...happy tuning my friend