Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

TurboXS **RANT**

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006 | 06:21 PM
down_shift

Default TurboXS **RANT**

Well... It's been almost 4 months. I still don't have my Utec running the right way..

You guys may remember my first incident with a bad Utec...
I didn't mind... TurboXS sent me a new one (about a month long situation).

This followed by my situation with the timing retard. I had my tuner send TurboXS the maps etc almost a month ago?.. STILL HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM THEM.

What kind of service is that? It's almost like everytime I try to contact them they blow me off.

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1970509

^^All my posts about the Utec.

I just want to get my car tuned! I spent close to a 1000 dollars with the car on the dyno this summer and the Utec problem could not be solved. The shop I went to has done a successful Utec install and tune on a Board member's Z. That's why I went there. They also do alot of Subaru Utec's etc. The shop has just come down to telling me that TurboXS has always had this problem. Let's hope that's not true.
Old 09-29-2006 | 10:02 AM
Road Warrior

can you explain in detail your problem...the link does not work. i am getting ready to have my car tuned as well and i want to be aware of any potential problems to look for...let us know.
Old 09-29-2006 | 11:02 AM
QuadCam

yeah...what is the issue?

timing retard problem? when you plug in a timing value, the utec isn't using that value? Please explain more!
Old 09-29-2006 | 02:59 PM
SmokyTyrz

I think this is the one...

https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/213640-utec-keeps-retarding-timing.html
there may be more
Old 09-29-2006 | 04:00 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

link not working

what shop are you going through for the tuning? What exactly is the issue? Describe it in detail
Old 09-29-2006 | 05:51 PM
SmokyTyrz

The link I posted is working for me. Can someone else confirm until the thread owner arrives?
Old 09-29-2006 | 06:44 PM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
The link I posted is working for me. Can someone else confirm until the thread owner arrives?

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Thats the page it takes me too..
Old 09-29-2006 | 06:47 PM
SmokyTyrz

How bout this

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...95&postcount=1
Old 09-29-2006 | 06:52 PM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Only shows 1 post..

Originally Posted by down shift
Even on "0" the Utec thinks my car is knocking and keeps retarding the timing on my turbonetics G. Anyone know what's up with that? I take the Utec out and run reflash and the car runs fine on the Dyno. I even turned off the knock sensor and the Utec keeps wanting to retard timing.. Did I get ANOTHER bad unit?
Old 09-29-2006 | 07:02 PM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

OK I remember that thread.. I pretty much hijacked it.. It looks like he didnt come back and post at all.??
Old 09-30-2006 | 09:01 AM
Road Warrior

I think this is the one...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213640
there may be more
this link works...but i am still confused as to why this thread was started...anyone?

the issue was never resolved...but sounded like they were trying to help.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 09-30-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2006 | 09:44 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I'm confused too -

TXS has absolutely not "always had this problem" - I am not going to venture a guess as to why a shop would say this. I've had a preproduction utec on my car since before x mas. Even just running their straight out of the box map for intake and exhaust the car ran much better than it ever did on the custom flash I ran previously.

IMHO, you need a different set of eyes looking at your car, or if you want us to do it for you, you need to post a log - without that, there really is no way to help you track down the issue
Old 09-30-2006 | 10:21 AM
QuadCam

yes, please post some logs.
Old 09-30-2006 | 11:23 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I'm confused too -

TXS has absolutely not "always had this problem" - I am not going to venture a guess as to why a shop would say this. I've had a preproduction utec on my car since before x mas. Even just running their straight out of the box map for intake and exhaust the car ran much better than it ever did on the custom flash I ran previously.

IMHO, you need a different set of eyes looking at your car, or if you want us to do it for you, you need to post a log - without that, there really is no way to help you track down the issue
i agree, my car ran great out of the box with just the intake and exhaust map too. i am having the car dyno tuned next week so i am hoping for a little more.

good luck with this issue...if there is one
Old 09-30-2006 | 12:10 PM
SmokyTyrz

The thread was started because Down_shift is having problems. We just don't know what they are yet, or if the thread I am pointing to is even the original issue.

The thread owner has to chime in once in a while, lest his request for help be ignored. :-) Maybe he is travelling, and is hoping for an answer to be waiting when he comes home?
Old 09-30-2006 | 01:14 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Sorry for your frustration Matt. Your post was not very clear though! Maybe you can clarify the issue for these guys ...here is what I know.

As I recall, the car loses power after 5000 rpms or so. I think timing is being retarded??? It is not directly related to his tune. The same shop installed my UTEC and the same tuner tuned my car (Edwin Foo) and did it without a base map. They know what they are doing. Adam I think you may know Edwin???

Matt contacted TXS and TXS basically blew it off. The shop followed up and TXS said that the injectors were probably not grounded (the old issue that he is referring too). As far as I know that was checked back when the issue first occurred. The reason I think the ground was checked is that I made the shop aware of the issue when I heard of Matts problem AND I made Matt aware of the issue when he installed his UTEC. It is certainly worth double checking though.

Matt did I get it right? Maybe you can provide a clear expalanation of the problem and symptoms on this thread or ask Dave at ESP to do it. I am sure he or Karl would be more than happy to and I know Edwin could comment on here about the tune.
Old 09-30-2006 | 04:06 PM
Road Warrior

the original poster claims contact with utec and so maybe utec could chime in here too so we can have both sides of the story.

the original post indicates poor service and or a problem with utec related to timing being retarded without explanation.

it would be nice if we could come to a conclusion here since many people on this forum own a utec.
Old 09-30-2006 | 04:20 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

I thought I just explained that Matt (down_shift), the original poster, contacted TurboXS about his problem with the UTEC and did not get a response. Eventually when the shop followed up on the issue with TurboXS for Matt, TurboXS gave them what was perceived to be a stockish answer related to a known issue (grounding). That is why Matt is frustrated with TurboXS. He still has the issue and believes that his system is grounded correctly.
I am sure Matt would welcome any comments from TurboXS. I know he would like to get to the bottom of the issue.
Old 10-01-2006 | 06:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Whatever issue you are having can be easily solved. I tend to agree with Z1. The UTEC for the 350z is completely different from the Suburu units. So if your tuner is not familiar with the 350Z specific unit, he will have some issues.

Did you purchase the UTEC from an authorized dealer? If you did, most of them will just send you another unit. There is no reason to wait for 1 month to get a resolution to this. Still a bit confused.
Old 10-01-2006 | 07:11 PM
down_shift

This is 2nd unit already. My 1st unit was a BAD unit.

My 2nd unit seems to work fine, just keeps trying to retard timing. If you guys have read the previous threads of mine. It retards timing EVEN WITH THE UTEC SET TO 0. Tends to retard timing when it's WOT upwards of 5k rpm.

I went to the same place Dave (35ounces) had his Utec tuned. So they have done many of these. They are also a TurboXS dealer (which is why they are always contacting TurboXS with problems).

Like Dave said, all the many times I've called TurboXS they have either said to send in my maps etc (which I have) and they will get back to me. Or they have gone through the "Proper grounding procedure" with me. I don't think the Utec is bad. But that's not what I'm trying to say in this thread- What I'm ranting about is.. TurboXS's Customer Service.

Quick Reply: TurboXS **RANT**