Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

utec tuner gurus...first log

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 AM
SmokyTyrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subrwho: Looks like you got everything that goes with the Pro, although I only have a Tuner. The power/ground wires are different colors on different models / version updates of the Tuner. Some are blue/white. Others are red/black. And yes you can log at idle. Logging is merely:
1. Start Hyperterminal and connect to the UTEC
2. Start a file receive in hyperterminal (which basically just turns on a screen recorder)
3. Press "1" to start logging.
4. Press "Space" to Pause.
5. End the file receive in hyperterminal when done.
6. Save and name the file.

Wired: My WB O2 cable runs into the cabin via the driver-side firewall bung, then across to the passenger footwell.

Underhood, the cable enters the clutch/brake master cylinder cover using the existing loom points (small rubberized /grommited holes on the lower leading edge of the plastic trim cover). From there it follows other cables around and then into the firewall bung.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Subrwho
Oh, one more thing. I sent a picture to RoadWarrior of my Tuner. I'm not sure if i got everything that's included? I did some searching around and people keep talking about blue and white wire for power, but mine are black and red? Can anyone tell me if this everything i'm suppose to have? The dude i bought it from is going to call me later today to make sure everything is straight.

That blue rag is holding the o2

looks like i have the same package. your red wire is power and the black would be for ground.

you should have some cables...two db9 to db9 cables (m-f), you will need one to connect your utec to the tuner, and one that goes to the pc from that connection in front of your tuner. from the picture, looks like you have the bosch tuner pro, knock sensor, and 02 sensor which will all hook into your tuner via that db15.

you can use your molex on the utec for a ground but i did not and do not have any problems. if you do, just leave the power wire unconnected and connect the ground...unless you are wiring in another silinoid. if your boosted, i think you will be needing this molex powered for other sensors...i am not sure on this one. since i am na, i did not need to use the molex connector.

i ran my power from the battery to a 5 connector bosch switch, and then tied in the cig lighter power for a powered switch source. i then ran my knock sensor cable, 02 sensor cable, and power cable from the battery down into the firewall grommet. this will run directly to the ecu which is right below the entry from the firewall on the passenger side. you will have to pull up some panels under the hood to see what i am talking about.

i can take pics if i get a change since mine is still sitting on my passenger floor.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 10-17-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Question: once you drill a hole and weld the wideband bung into the exhaust,

how do you route the wideband wire into the cabin (through the firewall)...

Do you somehow attach it to the stock wiring harness or do you drill a seperate hole in the firewall?

wired, no drilling necessary. the utec 02 sensor and knock cables are long enough to reach over to the firewall entry point on the passenger side and then they run down right to the ecu. they will follow the stock wiring harness that runs through the firewall down to the ecu. i zip tied my utec cabling to the stock wiring that goes down into the firewall grommet.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 10-17-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

I got your PM Road. My UTEC came with one cable, but it doesn't fit my laptop. I'm guessing it's a db9? So what it sounds like to me, i'm going to need a db9-db15 connector to go from my Tuner to laptop and i'll just use this db9 that i have now to connect my UTEC to Tuner.
*Sigh*
I've got so many things to accomplish this week to get my car running that i'm beggining to get overwhelmed!
Guess i'm off to the computer store to find this cable and hope i can download all the software and maps i have. I'm taking as many pictures i can to document everything i'm doing. That way when i run into problems or someone after me needs help, everyone will have access to my pictures for referance. Thanks for your help guys! Be back soon.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

ok.. I'm trying to update the software on my Tuner. But my laptop keeps saying "no units found on any port". I'm using a DB25 to DB9 serial connection. I'm reading the manual and it says to connect to the serial port marked "HT". Problem is, i have no markings on my Tuner? So.. I pluged my db9 into both male and female ports trying to get a connection and neither worked. I'm using the 9v battery connection i got with the UTEC to try and do this. Or can i not do that?

Now that i think about it, i remember reading something about needing a 12V and a 9V won't work??
Old 10-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
wired, no drilling necessary. the utec 02 sensor and knock cables are long enough to reach over to the firewall entry point on the passenger side and then they run down right to the ecu. they will follow the stock wiring harness that runs through the firewall down to the ecu. i zip tied my utec cabling to the stock wiring that goes down into the firewall grommet.
That's pretty nice

What's the best way to get a wideband installed, a tuner shop, muffler shop, etc?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
SmokyTyrz

ok.. I'm trying to update the software on my Tuner. But my laptop keeps saying "no units found on any port". I'm using a DB25 to DB9 serial connection. I'm reading the manual and it says to connect to the serial port marked "HT". Problem is, i have no markings on my Tuner? So.. I pluged my db9 into both male and female ports trying to get a connection and neither worked. I'm using the 9v battery connection i got with the UTEC to try and do this. Or can i not do that?

Now that i think about it, i remember reading something about needing a 12V and a 9V won't work??
Aight, you need to get a USB <> DB9 (Serial) interface if your laptop does not have a DB9 plug. Recommend you go to Best Buy and get one there.

"HT" refers to Hyperterminal. It is telling you to configure the "Tuna"'s Hyperterminal connection profile by selecting the point that corresponds to what you are using as your "serial" port.

A DB9-DB15 adapter will not work, in all likelihood.

When you install the USB-DB9 adapter, you will also install drivers that come with the disk, etc. This is what you need because now you have an emulated DB9 port and that almost guarantees a connection (provided everything else is working).

After installing the adapter and drivers, a new port will appear in the Hyperterminal connection setup screen. Use that one and you should be fine.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Crap! I've been to the computer store like 3 billion times today. Maybe that's why HT keeps saying "Another program is using the selected telephony device." ??
Also after i install the USB-DB9 adapter, what disk are you refering to for installing drivers? Unless a disk is included with that adapter? Welp, on my way to the store again..
Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 PM
captj3

Crap! I've been to the computer store like 3 billion times today. Maybe that's why HT keeps saying "Another program is using the selected telephony device." ??
Also after i install the USB-DB9 adapter, what disk are you refering to for installing drivers? Unless a disk is included with that adapter? Welp, on my way to the store again..

If you didn't get the cable yet radio shack carries them as well. You should have gotten a disk in the package of the cable. If it doesn't find the port try shutting your firewall.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Ok.. So i got it to work with my desk top. It found the port no problem. My lap top on the other hand, can not. I shut down the firewall, but it still can't locate what USB i'm using. And no disk came with it. I used the exact same set up when i moved it to my desk top, so i know that my cables are good.
Anyway, going back to the desk top. I just loaded my UTEC's new 2.8 software. I was going to try and load the maps that sharif emaild me, but i couldn't figured out how. I'm using HT, but the screen just stays white..
Also, has anyone loaded the software for the tuner from their desk top and the 9V battery? Or does that have to be done from my car?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 PM
SmokyTyrz

Lol.. I went outside to upgrade mine to 2.8d as well only to realize that you cannot access the flash switch while it is installed. DOH! lol Guess it'll have to come out to do these software upgrades.

I have to wonder that since all the release notes mention for the upgrade are the solenoid and boost control fixes then maybe I shouldn't bother since I already have 2.7? (And 2.7 never even made it to the website).

I'm thinking given the PITA of uninstalling, reinstalling, etc that I might just wait for the next big upgrade...something that impacts NA or something with new features, or with the new GUI.

Is everyone here NA going to upgrade to 2.8d? Or be lazy like me?

Subr: Don't forget to hit escape a couple times after you make connection. It sometimes takes a few connections before it all works just right.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

So are you saying i can connect with my desk top and 9V? I'll give it a try. Any ideas on why my laptop won't find the connection? I used "auto find" on both the desktop and laptop, but my laptop still wont find it.

And i agree with you about not loading 2.8. I mean, with the updates that happend, if you're not boosted, why bother? It's not going to affect you if you're NA.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 PM
captj3

You have to configure the port on your laptop. My lap top gave me a hard time also. It wouldn't show me comm port 1, so I had to clsoe my wireless and firewall to release a port I could use. I'll do this until I figure a better way. Also when you get the white screen try control X it may open it for you.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Cool, I'll give that a try in the morning. I'm so fustrated with everything right now, i can't look at it anymore. That, and i'm trying to deal with the fact that my local machine shop just DESTROYED my passenger side Greddy manifold!!! This has been the worst day i've had in a LONG LONG time
Old 10-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Road Warrior

I got your PM Road. My UTEC came with one cable, but it doesn't fit my laptop. I'm guessing it's a db9? So what it sounds like to me, i'm going to need a db9-db15 connector to go from my Tuner to laptop and i'll just use this db9 that i have now to connect my UTEC to Tuner.
*Sigh*
I've got so many things to accomplish this week to get my car running that i'm beggining to get overwhelmed!
Guess i'm off to the computer store to find this cable and hope i can download all the software and maps i have. I'm taking as many pictures i can to document everything i'm doing. That way when i run into problems or someone after me needs help, everyone will have access to my pictures for referance. Thanks for your help guys! Be back soon.
i went usb to db9 adaptor...belkin to be exact from circuit city to go from the tuner to the laptop. you need to assign this the correct com port as mentioned. you can go into your hardware settings on your laptop and see what com port the adaptor is using as well as turning off firewall blocking.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 10-18-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:35 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
That's pretty nice

What's the best way to get a wideband installed, a tuner shop, muffler shop, etc?
i went to a muffler shop and had the bung welded in and it cost me 35 bucks. he took the cat down to do the welding and a better job so i paid a little extra time.

locate the sensor before the entry of the cat on the driver side...there was not much room on my crawfords. remember to have your 02 sensor at a slight angle, if possible, in the upward direction of about 20 degrees (looking from the outside). this will make the sensor inside pointing downward so that it does not collect moisture. hope this does not sound too confusing.

a tuner shop should also be able to help you out if they have the welding equipment.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 10-18-2006 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
Lol.. I went outside to upgrade mine to 2.8d as well only to realize that you cannot access the flash switch while it is installed. DOH! lol Guess it'll have to come out to do these software upgrades.
seriously...i am glad i have not put all my stuff back together if i have to pull out my utec to upgrade. right now, everything is conveniently laying on the floor

smokey, what are the advantages of the upgrade...worth taking out or not?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Kenk2
Professional

This upgrade, as far as I know is for the FI guys.. No need for us NA peeps to worry about it..

First thing I thought of when I saw what the upgrade was for was that I wasnt going to have to tear apart my dash again..
Old 10-18-2006, 07:13 AM
Road Warrior

i really feel for suby man...sounds like a terrible way to start off with this project.

he's fi...so definately going to need to do the upgrade i assume...but got to get him connected first, eh.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:17 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Cool, I'll give that a try in the morning. I'm so fustrated with everything right now, i can't look at it anymore. That, and i'm trying to deal with the fact that my local machine shop just DESTROYED my passenger side Greddy manifold!!! This has been the worst day i've had in a LONG LONG time
When it rains it pours..

I actually took my car to Midas as they were the only ones that would mess with the car on a Sat. I told them what I wanted them to do and they didnt quiteget it at first.. So I had them put the car on the lift and I showed them what I needed.. They were pretty reluctnant because of the test pipes and no cats so I gave the guy $30 under the table and that was that..

I put a black dot where I wanted the bung to be located BEFORE I had them pull the test pipe.. Have them do the same thing.. Makes it a whole lot easier when its on then off and takes the guess work out of it. Just use a permanent marker and mark a dot at 2 'o' clock.. Piece of cake..

As far as the adapter goes, you must have a disk for the driver and when you install the driver, it will assign a port for your usb. Its really easy bro.. I know that all of this seems like a HUGE PITA but once your all finished, it will be all good bro I promise.. Just be patient and try not to let it consume you..

Hit us up if you need anything..

Quick Reply: utec tuner gurus...first log