Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Another UTEC excel sheet, may be useful

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:18 PM
SmokyTyrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another UTEC excel sheet, may be useful

Hey folks

I've been working on an Excel sheet to help with UTEC Datalog analysis. It does nothing magical like AFR-based MAF v prediction (yet) but for now it is a nice way to suck up a datalog and then view the results graphically using meaningful comparisons and overlays.

<edit>

I'm going to keep this first post updated with the latest version of the worksheet and instructions on how to use it. Currently:
1. Save the worksheet and do a File > Save As > yourlog.xls
2. Copy and Paste your datalog into the "Datalog" tab in the appropriate area. At this time datalogs are limited to 230 rows.
3. Enter your Target AFR in the "Target AFR" tab to calibrate the charts. NA = 13.0 and FI = 11.5 (Double check your specific FI A/F target).
4. Done! Every tab and chart will now update automatically using your datalog.

The worksheet can be found here:
Click here to download the UTEC Log Analyzer Assistant

Thanks to Road Warrior and Kenk2 for the sample logs.

Thanks to BrickydZ for building in the automation!

PS: If there are other comparisons/chart overlays you would like to see included, PM me and I will add it in. (For example, I know there is not near enough attention to comparisons regarding timing, so suggestions there are very welcome).

Cheers

Last edited by SmokyTyrz; 10-13-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Gators2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep up the good work!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice. Why did you change the MAF signal?

Did you do this to modify AFR or did you change injector pulse to modify AFR?

Load site, does that basically translate to throttle position?

thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
SmokyTyrz

Just to clarify, not my logs :-)

This is all based on MAF pulldown (not open fuelling, and not based on injector timing)

Load site translates to the column/row relationship in the UTEC Map. The UTEC Map has two axis: RPM and Load Column. Load Column is split as 10% increments from idle (0-10%) to WOT (90-100%). Each load column corresponds to a 0.5v increase in MAF voltage from 0-5v. Most NA vehicles in stock or mild-mod form tend to make about 4.6-4.8v on the MAF.

By graphing the load column it makes it easier to pinpint the corresponding UTEC table cell (ie. "load site") impacting the observed data point.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

I don't understand what is meant by "maf pulldown"

I think I should just stick to tuning the EU and not worry about UTEC

I can tune the EU using the MAF (hotwire voltage) signal as well [maf Voltage versus RPM], OR I can use a similar throttle position map [throttle position versus RPM]

So it appears the vehicle that these charts came from, the MAF voltage was modded (decreased), isn't that right? So the purpose was to trick the computer to add less fuel, because less air = less fuel right?

The EU also has a really nice "Map trace" function that shows you which cells are being used
Old 10-11-2006, 02:53 PM
SmokyTyrz

Ya, the Evo and Subby guys get all the cool UTEC User Interface tools. It is coming soon for the Z I understand.

MAF pulldown is exactly as you describe...offsetting MAF voltage to adjust fuel as opposed to adjusting injector pulse timing.

And yes, on this vehicle the MAF v was offset downwards to reduce fuel.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
Ya, the Evo and Subby guys get all the cool UTEC User Interface tools. It is coming soon for the Z I understand.

MAF pulldown is exactly as you describe...offsetting MAF voltage to adjust fuel as opposed to adjusting injector pulse timing.

And yes, on this vehicle the MAF v was offset downwards to reduce fuel.
OK I see.

I think I'm going to increase injector pulse width manually instead of doing the MAF adjustment. Do you see any problem with this?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:07 PM
SmokyTyrz

Not sure how the EU manages it, but the UTEC works like this:

People choose MAF pulldown if they are NA, and do not have such severe mods as to warrant upsized injectors.

When tuning using the MAF in the UTEC the UTEC is still relying on the factory ECU's maps as a "foundation", and offset from those.

When not using the MAF, the UTEC is using injector pulse width duration to modify fuel. To use inj pulse you put the UTEC into a different mode called "open fuelling". This mode completely eliminates the factory ECU from the fuel and timing duties. And to use this mode you cannot just partially adjust offsets. You pretty much have to make the entire map or your car won't run properly.

As a result, (I think) this means that if you want to use inj pulse to modify fuel, then you have to create entire maps because the ECU is no longer a safety net.

Gurus please correct if I'm wrong.

So anyway, that is why, when possible, you normally see people using the MAF offset instead of the inj pulse for the UTEC. Except for FI folks...they all have to use open-fuelling and read off of the MAP sensor.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Not sure how the EU manages it, but the UTEC works like this:

People choose MAF pulldown if they are NA, and do not have such severe mods as to warrant upsized injectors.

When tuning using the MAF in the UTEC the UTEC is still relying on the factory ECU's maps as a "foundation", and offset from those.

When not using the MAF, the UTEC is using injector pulse width duration to modify fuel. To use inj pulse you put the UTEC into a different mode called "open fuelling". This mode completely eliminates the factory ECU from the fuel and timing duties. And to use this mode you cannot just partially adjust offsets. You pretty much have to make the entire map or your car won't run properly.

As a result, (I think) this means that if you want to use inj pulse to modify fuel, then you have to create entire maps because the ECU is no longer a safety net.

Gurus please correct if I'm wrong.

So anyway, that is why, when possible, you normally see people using the MAF offset instead of the inj pulse for the UTEC. Except for FI folks...they all have to use open-fuelling and read off of the MAP sensor.

I think everything in the EU is a + / - % from stock parameters.

There is no open loop I don't think. I can add or subtract injector pulse width in milliseconds.

I can also add or subtract MAF voltage.
Same thing with ignition timing.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Considering I have the cipher and EU to datalog everything (cipher datalogging > EU datalogging) I think I should be fine with adjusting injector pulse width. Especially if I just add fuel, I can't hurt anything by going too rich...

Also, in my opinion this is why the EU is so great for N/A tuning... it's very simple to use. For F/I though, I'd be a little scared...

I AM NOT BASHING THE UTEC in any way. I am just trying to learn more, and compare the features of both systems. Thanks for your input

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 10-11-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:55 AM
BrickydZ

Default You wish is my Command.

"Maybe someone could automate this worksheet so that once someone copies and pastes into the "Datalog" tab, then all the other tabs will auto-update."

Done.
Also added a couple for color and some formatting.
Great job getting it up and running. It was breeze to automate and color it up.

Enjoy...
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Old 10-12-2006, 10:19 AM
SmokyTyrz

AWESOME! I'll check this out when I get home. Does it automatically scale the charts data series, etc based on the number of rows in the original data log?

Also..I didn't mention this before..but the AFR Target line (red line appearing at 13.0 in all AFR-bearing charts) needs to be automatically updated as well. Again, I can't see the file just yet, so you may have already got to this.

What do you do for a living? And are there any resources you'd recommend for learning Excel automation?

Thanks BrickydZ!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

AWESOME! I'll check this out when I get home. Does it automatically scale the charts data series, etc based on the number of rows in the original data log?

Also..I didn't mention this before..but the AFR Target line (red line appearing at 13.0 in all AFR-bearing charts) needs to be automatically updated as well. Again, I can't see the file just yet, so you may have already got to this.

What do you do for a living? And are there any resources you'd recommend for learning Excel automation?

Thanks BrickydZ!
I bought a book called "Excel 2003 Bible" author: Walkenbach

it has everything you could ever need to know about excel.

I got it for my research at UCLA but it happens to come in handy for datalogging too
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
SmokyTyrz

And does it automatically distribute the datalog data to all the other tabs, or is that process still manual, and the chart updating has been automated?

Can't wait to see it!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
SmokyTyrz

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I bought a book called "Excel 2003 Bible" author: Walkenbach

it has everything you could ever need to know about excel.

I got it for my research at UCLA but it happens to come in handy for datalogging too
Thx I'll check it out!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:55 AM
SmokyTyrz

Awesome stuff! I learned a lot from your example. I'm making a couple updates and will repost... Thx Brick!!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Road Warrior

i thought those numbers looked familiar when i was looking at your file before i read your post. after i read the rest of your post i realized they were mine

looks good...keep it up...meanwhile, i will keep on tunin and loggin

one other thing, and i am not an excel guru, but it would be nice when you print the file that your header would still contain all of your labeled columns at the top. by now, i know what they are...but still would be nice to have those labels on each sheet that is printed. i am referring to that first page that contains afr, knock, maf, etc

Last edited by Road Warrior; 10-12-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:46 AM
SmokyTyrz

So here's another version, leveraging Brick's example and knowledge from his update. It's too big to post in the forum now, so I'm hosting it.

Click here for the UTEC Log Analyzer Assistant Download

I've also added a new sheet where you can determine your target AFR. This doesn't use any of my AFR prediction formulas yet... This is set only to determine where to put the "Target AFR" marking on each AFR-related chart.

Target AFR NA = 13.0
Target AFR FI = 11.5 (I think...someone correct if wrong).

The sheets have been protected to prevent user error. The only places the user can make changes are the datalog (for pasting a WOT datalog) and the Target AFR.

To unlock the protection and change the way the sheet works you use Tools > Protection > Unprotect Sheet

Note that when you are adding your own datalog, it must not have more than 110 rows. Anything beyond the 110th row is ignored. (I built this around the longest log I could find, so for now the limit is 110).

Brick, if you or anyone else knows how to fix that limitation, please go for it and repost!

I also went ahead and linked the columns to all the sheets, and not just the relational sheets (x vs. x vs. x).

This is cool! I am enjoying the collaboration!

Cheers,
-Smoky
Old 10-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Road Warrior

these tools are great...really beats having to manually interpet all the information. these graphs make things much easier for making changes. you say you have an automated tool that can suggest changes for a target af based on your logs?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
SmokyTyrz

A predictor tool is being tested. That was why I needed all the data logs I requested a while back. I need bunches and bunches of WOT data logs to get enough data samples to test my formulas. I have not received enough logs yet.

But yes, if my methods test well then this tool should be able to produce an automatic "UTEC Fuel Map" based on datalogs from the vehicle being tuned.

This automatic fuel map would not be intended as a "plug and play" map, that you can just begin using. Although technically you could use the output as the actual fuel map, it is not a good idea.

The output from this tool would be more of a "fuel map recommendation" for each load site that shows up in your logs. For example, because of the laws of physics and lack of data points to describe those physics in real-time, I may be able to predict high-rpm/high-load column load sites with anywhere between 70-85% accuracy. That means that the MAF v offset recommendation output for a specific load site may be 75% on-target (and 25% off-target too!).

What this means is that if used as a table of load site recommendations, then the tool helps to refine your fuel map more quickly. Though you still use your own judgement to determine if the offset recommendations make sense or not. This tool basically just saves you from having to do "as many" datalogging runs as you would have to without the tool.

More to come if it gets off the ground.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Great job Smokey!!

I have a bunch more logs i can send over. I hope the ones i sent you already helped out.

Later
Aceman

Quick Reply: Another UTEC excel sheet, may be useful