Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006 | 01:20 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

Sounds good, go for it
Old 10-17-2006 | 04:22 PM
Rick06Z

Last edited by Rick06Z; 05-10-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2006 | 09:36 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rick06Z
Is there any difference between a TS and AAM reflash (mail in that is)?
Yes, but good luck figuring out what's different about them.

The reflashes were developed by different people so they are going to be slightly different.
Old 10-18-2006 | 05:27 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the difference is it's 2 different shops using the same software - as with any computer related program, the success/failure is all in the knowledge of the person punching the keys. The software itself comes out of Japan and is "created" by Techtom. Techtom makes the flashing software that every Japanese based tuner uses, and they do it for a ton of different cars. You can think of Techtom as the Microsoft of their world. Technosquare is the US distributor for Techtom products - they also license it out to whomever wants to buy in (it's not cheap). AAM bought the software and as such, can now offer the flashes to their own customer base.

I don't think anyone could say one is better or worse. But seeing as you are relatively close to TS, booking an appointment with them and having the ecu tuned for your car would be the way to go. I drove down to AAM, stayed overnight and had my car flashed way back in late 2003 and the gains I got made it worthwile (significant for an NA car back then). Given the time spent on my car, I dont think I would have netted those same gains with a std. mail in flash. If ultimate power and control is what you are after, the UTEC cannot be beat and I'm sure there are several tuners in your area who can tune the car for you. In the LA area, my own personal recommendation is Dan at Harmanmotive.com. I've sent a ton of customers to him for various ecu tuning on cars and I've done so only because I know how meticulous he is, and he knows what he is doing backwards and forwards with the UTEC

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 10-18-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2006 | 08:10 AM
dingobiatch

Hmm.. well ****, if I can't figure out how to get the '06 card holder out in the next few days, I might just have to drive down. I guess I wouldn't need to complain much about it.

Only thing is, if I were to go down middle-of-the-day, how long once I drop my car off will it take for them to have my car ready? Is it a day long process or an hour or two? Just cause I might visit back home this weekend, and torrance is only an hour away from my home (malibu).
Old 10-18-2006 | 08:33 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the difference is it's 2 different shops using the same software - as with any computer related program, the success/failure is all in the knowledge of the person punching the keys. The software itself comes out of Japan and is "created" by Techtom. Techtom makes the flashing software that every Japanese based tuner uses, and they do it for a ton of different cars. You can think of Techtom as the Microsoft of their world. Technosquare is the US distributor for Techtom products - they also license it out to whomever wants to buy in (it's not cheap). AAM bought the software and as such, can now offer the flashes to their own customer base.

I don't think anyone could say one is better or worse. But seeing as you are relatively close to TS, booking an appointment with them and having the ecu tuned for your car would be the way to go. I drove down to AAM, stayed overnight and had my car flashed way back in late 2003 and the gains I got made it worthwile (significant for an NA car back then). Given the time spent on my car, I dont think I would have netted those same gains with a std. mail in flash. If ultimate power and control is what you are after, the UTEC cannot be beat and I'm sure there are several tuners in your area who can tune the car for you. In the LA area, my own personal recommendation is Dan at Harmanmotive.com. I've sent a ton of customers to him for various ecu tuning on cars and I've done so only because I know how meticulous he is, and he knows what he is doing backwards and forwards with the UTEC
z1, just out of curiousity...is there a significant increase in power from a reflash compared to the utec.

from my reading on the forums....i am seeing some gains from utec over the reflash in the 5hp'ish range.

with the prices of the utec coming down close to a reflash...maybe something to consider...just a thought.
Old 10-18-2006 | 09:45 AM
dingobiatch

I would consider a UTEC but its an extra $300.. I mean I guess if I was planning on going FI or spraying at some point. I was considering spraying actually, but at the moment, I don't have the money to do it.
I mean, even if I could afford the extra $300 to get a used UTEC (I think its around $800?), I would have to get it tuned, which would be an additional.. what?
Old 10-18-2006 | 10:02 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
I would consider a UTEC but its an extra $300.. I mean I guess if I was planning on going FI or spraying at some point. I was considering spraying actually, but at the moment, I don't have the money to do it.
I mean, even if I could afford the extra $300 to get a used UTEC (I think its around $800?), I would have to get it tuned, which would be an additional.. what?
UTEC's not cheap that's for sure.

Also if you have UTEC it's best if you get a wideband, add another 300 minimum
Old 10-18-2006 | 10:03 AM
disturbed2483

depends on the tunning shop but some where along 200.00 an hour.
Old 10-18-2006 | 12:02 PM
Road Warrior

i would definately drive down and have a custom reflash since your close and that fits your budget, meets your needs and gives you the best bang for the buck.

if you call those guys they will hook you up. i remember back when i was considering a reflash they were very knowledgable and professional...great guys to talk to.

i don't think there is much more cost if any to throw her on the dyno to get the best tune on your reflash.

at the time, it would have been a seven hour drive for me and i think you can wait there for the car...only takes an hour or two. check'em out for sure as recommended by others here on the forum.

good luck with it...i don't think you can go wrong here other than not taking it down there.
Old 10-18-2006 | 12:35 PM
dingobiatch

If I were to eventually spray, would technosquare be able to flash me again (they have the $150 deal thing) to make spraying relatively safe? I know engine management is pretty much needed when spraying..
Old 10-18-2006 | 12:37 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

I wouldn't go for a reflash with N2O. There is no way for a reflash to have a window-switch feature where at a certain RPM and throttle position, timing gets retarded and the N2O gets sprayed.

By the way you're nuts for thinking about N2O in socal, but power to you
Old 10-18-2006 | 01:04 PM
Road Warrior

dingo, you keep going back and forth.

if your going to spray your not na, so what do you say, at the end of the day?

what happens when you decide thats not good enough and you add another mod...welp, gotta get another reflash.

hmmm, think i'll go turbo now cuz that 100 shot really isn't doing it for me anymore...welp, here we go again.

get the picture
Old 10-18-2006 | 01:09 PM
dingobiatch

haha no i'm probably never going to spray to be honest, but it was just a thought. i can't afford a turbo, at least not for a LONG time.. soo..

I'll stay NA. I think I'll go down to Technosquare and get my tune.

And ya, good point on the spraying in SoCal. I just got a fix-it ticket for tint and no front license.
Old 10-18-2006 | 01:26 PM
Road Warrior

haha no i'm probably never going to spray to be honest, but it was just a thought. i can't afford a turbo, at least not for a LONG time.. soo..

I'll stay NA. I think I'll go down to Technosquare and get my tune.

And ya, good point on the spraying in SoCal. I just got a fix-it ticket for tint and no front license.
dang are they that bad down there?

did they pop your hood, check under the car, etc?

i know they do that here with honda's and ricers but not z's
Old 10-18-2006 | 01:36 PM
dingobiatch

He was a new cop, he told me. Pulled me over, told me I was being nailed for my front tint and no front license, I pulled the "dealer didn't drill front holes for me" line, he didn't care. Then he asked what mods I had, I said intake/exhaust, he asked me to pop the hood. He commented on how cool my popcharger was... (?? wierd, I find it quite ugly compared to CAI's). Oh, the best part. He goes "I can't ticket you for it, but just curious, how fast have you gotten this thing?". So I laughed and said "the speed limit". He then goes "oh, right. I know you are lying.."
I just laughed in a kind of I'm-never-going-to-tell-you-way. Then he gave me my ticket and walked off.
Old 10-18-2006 | 01:43 PM
Road Warrior

He was a new cop, he told me. Pulled me over, told me I was being nailed for my front tint and no front license, I pulled the "dealer didn't drill front holes for me" line, he didn't care. Then he asked what mods I had, I said intake/exhaust, he asked me to pop the hood. He commented on how cool my popcharger was... (?? wierd, I find it quite ugly compared to CAI's). Oh, the best part. He goes "I can't ticket you for it, but just curious, how fast have you gotten this thing?". So I laughed and said "the speed limit". He then goes "oh, right. I know you are lying.."
I just laughed in a kind of I'm-never-going-to-tell-you-way. Then he gave me my ticket and walked off.
i got a ticket for no front plate too...went down had it signed off pulled into the first available parking lot and took it back off. i hate having that front plate...especially on an aftermarket front bumper.

glad you got out of there with minimal damage.

i thinking the same thing on the pop charger that it might draw attention and suspision of other mods...so i have not put it on yet. right now if i pop my hood i look pretty stock. i have the crawford upper and mrev2 but those don't really stand out like that pop charger would. i am liking my 06 stock airbox right now...seems to have a little better design than earlier models.

need to put er on the dyno and see if its worth it or not...probably not for a while though. i don't have the extra money for my honey...or my wife
Old 10-18-2006 | 03:46 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus
Premier Member

If I were to eventually spray, would technosquare be able to flash me again (they have the $150 deal thing) to make spraying relatively safe? I know engine management is pretty much needed when spraying..
They sure can tune it to be slightly richer, but you will definitely need the gadgets to make it all work. I started off spraying before going all out with NA mods and it worked for the time being and safely. However, that is a whole different topic and there is plenty of information in the nitrous oxide section of the forum.
Old 10-18-2006 | 03:47 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I wouldn't go for a reflash with N2O. There is no way for a reflash to have a window-switch feature where at a certain RPM and throttle position, timing gets retarded and the N2O gets sprayed.

By the way you're nuts for thinking about N2O in socal, but power to you
From my experience cops do not care about N20 as long as it is not hooked up. I got pulled over with my car of all things and I had a big Nitrous bottle in the back hooked up and with me being stripped it was in the open with lexan window and everything and the cop didn't even flinch.
Old 10-18-2006 | 04:26 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
From my experience cops do not care about N20 as long as it is not hooked up. I got pulled over with my car of all things and I had a big Nitrous bottle in the back hooked up and with me being stripped it was in the open with lexan window and everything and the cop didn't even flinch.
Interesting, but I'd imagine at least some cops would notice. I mean, for someone who doesn't go to the track much (and I'm assuming dingo doesn't go much) then what's the point of having N2O if it's not hooked up?

Quick Reply: Technosquare good enough?