Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Technosquare good enough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 PM
dingobiatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technosquare good enough?

I know that technosquare isn't really a custom tune, seeing as you just tell them what parts you have instead of them having your car and dyno'ing it.
But I just moved to Santa Barbara (UCSB, college), and from what I know, there isn't a nearby tuner. I really want to chip my car (mods are in my sig), just wondering what everyone thinks.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Road Warrior

all i can say is that utec will give you a better tune but a reflash would also benefit your car.

really depends on what you want out of this...if you want to be able to add mods in the future and retune then go with utec. money and time would also be a consideration.

if your going to stop there as far as mods go, then a reflash should do the trick...but it probably won't be as good as a custom tune. you could drive down for the reflash and they could get a better tune for you too.

just my .02
Old 10-16-2006, 09:01 AM
dingobiatch

I don't want to drive all the way to torrance though, and I am def. done with breathing mods. Never going to do heads. My only mods left (possibly) are final drive and reflash. Soo..
Old 10-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The TS reflash has proven results. I think you'll be pleased if you get it.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
dingobiatch

How much whp/tq should I expect from reflashing with my mods? (I realize its a case-by-case thing, but just curious)
Old 10-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No idea, you'd have to get a before and after dyno.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on your scenario the TS flash would be great. I would highly recommend making a trip down to them so you have the advantage of dyno tuning the car as well because it will perfect the tune rather than just running off of base maps they have for your particular mod list. Every car is different so let them do their job correctly and tune for your specific application and you will be a much happier customer with full results. When it comes to tuning, every little bit counts and that is where the dyno time will help tremendously
Old 10-16-2006, 10:19 AM
dingobiatch

It's a long way down to drive though, and I'm busy with college work at the moment. Won't it be more expensive to bring it in and have them dyno it and everything too?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
It's a long way down to drive though, and I'm busy with college work at the moment. Won't it be more expensive to bring it in and have them dyno it and everything too?
i think it is the same price...that is why it's worth the drive
Old 10-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Brian@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

It is the same price for them to test and tune in their shop but for a dyno, it's a little extra charge. I think it's definitely worth the extra time to drive out instead of a mail-in tune as they can check the afr while you're there. Maybe take a little weekend vacation trip or wait till another big 350Z/G35 meet in LA to do the flash at the same time.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 PM
dingobiatch

It's a two hour drive down, so it would be kind of annoying.. I really want to get my car reflashed as soon as possible. Is it that big of a difference between their base maps for my parts and them actually dyno'ing it to figure out the tune? I know AFR might be better, is that going to translate to more than few whp?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

It's a two hour drive down, so it would be kind of annoying.. I really want to get my car reflashed as soon as possible. Is it that big of a difference between their base maps for my parts and them actually dyno'ing it to figure out the tune? I know AFR might be better, is that going to translate to more than few whp?
It just depends on what type of car owner you are. If you don't care for perfection by all means mail it in, but you have such an advantage living in SO cal to begin with. Driving a few hours will save you the time and headache of having to do a baseline dyno, mail off the ECU, have them reflash it, then getting an after dyno to see if you are running safe and extracting as much power as you can. If the AFR and tune is off you will have to mail it in again. This will translate to more than a few hours of driving.

When they initially tuned my car their base map for my mods was way off to where my AFR was 11.5:1 which is a FI tune. With a plenum spacer and leaning out the AFR I extracted 30+ extra HP. Tuning is key so take advantage of your location and take a drive and think about the Z owners that all live out of state that wish they had it as lucky as you
Old 10-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a flash will net you in the 10 hp range and about 7-10 torque. A proper UTEC tune generally (each car is different) nets about 15-20 hp and 10-13 ft lbs.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:42 PM
dingobiatch

Wait, I wasn't ever planning on getting a dyno done before/after the reflash. I just assumed that Technosquare can get a decent tune done to your parts list.. not true?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Wait, I wasn't ever planning on getting a dyno done before/after the reflash. I just assumed that Technosquare can get a decent tune done to your parts list.. not true?
Decent yes, but it's your money and if you are happy with whatever base map they give you for your amount of mods then it is all you
Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 PM
dingobiatch

Base map.. wait, they don't just use a stock base map no matter what mods you have, right? It would be a map for my specific mods, correct?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Base map.. wait, they don't just use a stock base map no matter what mods you have, right? It would be a map for my specific mods, correct?
yes sir. They definitely do their best.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:53 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You can tell them your mods and they do a tune to that. But of course, as we have all learned, there are some differences between Zs, however slight that may be. Best bet is to take it to them, you will be very happy in the end. Another option is to dyno, send ecu with dyno, get it back, put it in the car, dyno again, send dyno, they can look and see if more can be done. Just take it since you are close. Also PM Cheston, he is very tight with them and can give advice, or call them, I did, they were great people to talk to and you will get it straight from the horses mouth, rather than second hand info from us on the boards.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 PM
vchoward2

has anyone had the reflash done?? Did it make any difference?? what were your mods?? did you dyno the car?? what gains are we looking at??
Old 10-17-2006, 12:42 PM
dingobiatch

Okay, I know its the best idea to go down to them, but I'm focusing on college at the moment, and probably won't have time to go down home for a while. I think I'll pull my ECU out today and send it in. I'm not gonna care too much if I lose out on a few HP/TQ.

Quick Reply: Technosquare good enough?