Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Has anybody used the ECU knock wire to...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:16 AM
dTor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody used the ECU knock wire to...

...hook up a simple knock detection indicator? I forget which pin it is on the ECU (pin 52 or 53, it's just past the TPS pin). From what I remember, it reads 2.5VDC under normal (zero knock) conditions. I didn't get a chance to delve deeper into my service manual, but I would think that the voltage would increase when knocks are sensed.

Has anybody tried making a simple LED light/circuit that would blink every time a knock is detected? I know you can't use it for datalogging, and I know I can get a standalone with knock detection. I also know that if what I have in mind works, it would cost about $5 instead of $500+. If I have some time, I'm going to look into this a bit further.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The only issue I have with doing that is...

if you don't have engine management, you can't even make changes to prevent knocking (except running higher octane)

So... why not pick up a UTEC and if your engine knocks, be able to DO something about it
Old 10-28-2006, 10:59 PM
dTor

Forgot to mention that I'm (about to start) running emanage blue. I'm n/a, plan on staying n/a for awhile, and when/if I do go FI, I'll certainly chane to a more capable engine management system. I just wanted to be able to extract a few extra hp by adjusting afr (I've got a Zeitronix ZT-2 wbo2 for monitoring/datalogging) and to retard the timing when I hook up my 100 shot. The latter is what piqued my curiosity about the ecu knock wire.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:59 AM
dTor

Old 10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
trey.hutcheson

I'd definitely be interested in this; sans piggyback. It would be nice to know once and for all if all of the sounds I suspect are pinging, actually are or not.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:18 PM
supra crazy

Originally Posted by dTor
...hook up a simple knock detection indicator? I forget which pin it is on the ECU (pin 52 or 53, it's just past the TPS pin). From what I remember, it reads 2.5VDC under normal (zero knock) conditions. I didn't get a chance to delve deeper into my service manual, but I would think that the voltage would increase when knocks are sensed.

Has anybody tried making a simple LED light/circuit that would blink every time a knock is detected? I know you can't use it for datalogging, and I know I can get a standalone with knock detection. I also know that if what I have in mind works, it would cost about $5 instead of $500+. If I have some time, I'm going to look into this a bit further.
as far as i know Eblue doesnt sence knock. you can control timing with it, I know a couple of people who use J&S safegaurd as a knock sensor and injnition control. me included but I have EU know and dont need it. so its FS 220 shipped if your interested https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....11#post2939111
Old 11-02-2006, 03:33 AM
dTor

I'm not trying to get the em to directly sense knock - I only mentioned it to show that I do have a way to tune if I can somehow detect knock.

I looked a bit and saw that my Zeitronix has a 0-5V user input. Perhaps I could hook it up to the knock sensor input to the ECU and monitor/datalog the voltage readings on the ZT-2.