Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

AAM Flash – dyno, pics & vid!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up Peter!

Its a relief to see a few people documenting (incrementally) the gains made by their mods. Good work.

The vid of the sideways action is cool too.

BTW am I reading this correctly? You modified your silencer with a restrictor plate with a 1/2" diameter orifice? All your exhaust flow is going through a 1/2" orifice?

EDIT: You gotta dyno that too!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 03-10-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:46 PM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ESPO 774
how much does the aam flash cost?
it's $595
http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5...y_Code=350Z_EM
Old 03-11-2007, 07:52 PM
first350

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Great write up Peter!

Its a relief to see a few people documenting (incrementally) the gains made by their mods. Good work.

The vid of the sideways action is cool too.

BTW am I reading this correctly? You modified your silencer with a restrictor plate with a 1/2" diameter orifice? All your exhaust flow is going through a 1/2" orifice?

EDIT: You gotta dyno that too!
lol...I know it's small! I incrementally decreased the hole until the exhaust was quite enough for my neighbors. for me, it's the perfect balance - max power for AutoX, and quite enough for the street.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reflash FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
first350

just a quick update: The engine is still running great and is doing fairly well in my AutoX series (I'm in first place by a less then 2 pts)! I've had a handful of courses and other times where the extra few 100 rpms have come in very helpful...still very happy w/ AAM's flash!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:51 PM
El Verdugo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say I got one question, if you are wanting to use the UTEC on top of this reflash it can be done with no problems, but when the UTEC gives the control to the ecu in those regions, does the ECU use the reflash tune that is already there or not? If so, is there any way to flash out the old AAM flash in order to start fresh? My apologies if this has been brought up, but I been searching and not found an answer.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
first350

Originally Posted by El Verdugo
Say I got one question, if you are wanting to use the UTEC on top of this reflash it can be done with no problems, but when the UTEC gives the control to the ecu in those regions, does the ECU use the reflash tune that is already there or not? If so, is there any way to flash out the old AAM flash in order to start fresh? My apologies if this has been brought up, but I been searching and not found an answer.

AAM can reflash the ECU back to OE...does that answer your Q?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 PM
bleunetizen

be it UTEC or FCON or reflash.. the end result are all the same given then they are targetting at the same a/f and timing.

main disadvantage of reflash is that the tune is done by 'guessing' what you have. with enough number of data with different combo, this will be pretty close to the 'fine tuned' mapping but that all comes down to how accurate you want to be.

i personally prefer tune-able ecu's because i can play with it, and i can try stuff that i have in my mind instead of thinking 'what if it was this.. what if it was that' and etc. regarding fuel/timing
Old 07-06-2007, 05:32 AM
El Verdugo

Originally Posted by first350
AAM can reflash the ECU back to OE...does that answer your Q?
Thanks for the reply.

So the only way is to have it shipped back to the company that reflashed it so they can in turn put it back to stock and take out the FLASH.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:45 AM
first350

Originally Posted by El Verdugo
Thanks for the reply.

So the only way is to have it shipped back to the company that reflashed it so they can in turn put it back to stock and take out the FLASH.
YES - when they reflash the ECU, it's re-writing some of data on the ECU that is not going to change. You need their Hardware and Software to be able to re-program the ECU...this equipment and time to learn how to do tuning is where a lot of the cost comes from a re-flash.

There are other parts of the ECU that change and 'learn/adapt' to your driving style and car conditions...these variables can be wiped clean through doing an ECU reset (check TS website for instructions on how to do this....or just disconnect your battery for about 24 hrs.)
Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 AM
first350

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
be it UTEC or FCON or reflash.. the end result are all the same given then they are targetting at the same a/f and timing.

main disadvantage of reflash is that the tune is done by 'guessing' what you have. with enough number of data with different combo, this will be pretty close to the 'fine tuned' mapping but that all comes down to how accurate you want to be.

i personally prefer tune-able ecu's because i can play with it, and i can try stuff that i have in my mind instead of thinking 'what if it was this.. what if it was that' and etc. regarding fuel/timing
yeah - before I got married, I might have gone this route too...I like tinkering with stuff and changing things here and there... but I just don't have the time to tune everything myself, and there's a higher intial cost to get all the equipment to tune properly. (Utec, O2 reader, laptop[most ppl already have one], dyno time [reccurring cost],...)

AAM's flash got my AF ratio perfectly, raised my redline, and removed the top speed limiter...it's everything that I wanted and didn't take very long
Old 07-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by bleunetizen

One way to help this is to have your car dyno'd with A/F ratio and send that information to the place you have your flash done by. Being that the OP is on the West coast and AAM is on the East coast....it's kind of hard to have a custom dyno tune.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:11 AM
bleunetizen

that is very true, reflash is a very quick way of doing it
Old 07-07-2007, 05:48 PM
RedBird

Does anyone think that the ECU reflash with the AAM dynotune is worth the extra $385?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:01 PM
bleunetizen

you dont have to do the reflash if ur gonna dyno tune, the end result will be the same.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:54 AM
first350

Originally Posted by RedBird
Does anyone think that the ECU reflash with the AAM dynotune is worth the extra $385?
there was thread awhile ago that talked about this...it's somewhat of a gamble weather the dynotune will yeild more power - IIRC, Mike at AAM said they usually get an extra 5 HP from a dyno tune flash compared to their normal flash.

*AAM's normal flash is done by looking at all your mods, and looking into their database of other Zs w/ similar mods. Since every car is slightly different even in OE trim, a custom tune always has room to improve power.

hope that clarifies and answers your Q.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the video of the dyno the car sounded bad ***. what exhaust are you running, on the cardoman site it says a single aam, but in the all the pics I see a double. Just want to create you setup because is sounds so good, thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 PM
first350

Originally Posted by mw9
the video of the dyno the car sounded bad ***. what exhaust are you running, on the cardoman site it says a single aam, but in the all the pics I see a double. Just want to create you setup because is sounds so good, thanks

thnx - it's AAM's single TI exhaust...I just haven't posted that many recent pics b/c the AutoX seaosn started and I've been busy. here's one of the more recent pics from AutoXing:

Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
RedBird

Originally Posted by first350
there was thread awhile ago that talked about this...it's somewhat of a gamble weather the dynotune will yeild more power - IIRC, Mike at AAM said they usually get an extra 5 HP from a dyno tune flash compared to their normal flash.

*AAM's normal flash is done by looking at all your mods, and looking into their database of other Zs w/ similar mods. Since every car is slightly different even in OE trim, a custom tune always has room to improve power.

hope that clarifies and answers your Q.
it does, thanks.