Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

ECU location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ECU location?

Hey guys where is the ECU in our Z and how do I get to it? I'm planning on installing a SAFC ( yes yes I know my fiance gave it to me I don't wanna get rid of it) Also does anyone know how far we have before we hit the stock CD player if we drill down into the navigation slot. My plan is to drill down and put the wire through the navigation slot so that if I ever decide to take it out I can put the plastic piece over it and cover the hole back up.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey man, i am sorry to say but the AFC will get overtaken by the stock ECU, i didnt believe this at first until i installed one, dynoed it, then let him come back in two weeks and redyno it.

we installed it, and tuned 8 hp out of it, he knew he was installing a utec in the near future but wasnt sure how long. then decided two weeks later to get the utec. we redynoed it and then took it out, dynoed the stock ECU and the car made 2 hp without the AFC.

plus it was reading 12 less the second time we had dynoed it, then 10 less with the stock ecu..

they work great on hondas and some other cars, i would sell it and lean towards a utec or other user friendly tunable piggy back. pm me if interested in a price on one, everyone that knows me, knows i wouldnt sell something i dont believe in 100% and dont need any tricks or games to sell things, i just speak the truth and let everything else run its course..
Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Darshu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ECU sits right in front of the passenger's knees, more or less. To get at it, you need to remove the lower panel of the passenger's side dash. Pop out the cup holder to access one bolt, there's another by the lighter. Then remove the trim panel by the door so you can remove the plastic kick panel on the lower right that will give you access to another bolt. Then you can pop the whole panel off.

You can use the TurboXS ECU UTEC install docs if you want pictures of the process:

http://turboxs.com/utec350zupdate.htm

And as was mentioned above, your stock ECU will learn around any piggyback device that scales MAF voltage to change the mixture. The SAFC looks cool and all, but it's not really an effective tool for tuning a car with a modern ECU.