Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Scared to Death of my UTEC!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
AmateuRN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared to Death of my UTEC!!

Heres how it went down...

I get some ***** one day to try and datalog. I go and I buy the serial to USB adapter cable. I spend a night going over the instructions on how to set up HyperTerminal.

Next day I go sit down in the car, KOEO [key on, engine off]. I hook up all the plugs and USB into the computer and go to open HT [from my shortcut I made]. Blank white screen, I hit ESC and nothing happens. So at the top I go to like Veiw>Capture text... and it comes up asking to name the file.

"Test1" then it either has CANCEL or START. I hit START...

The car dies. No power, no dash lights, nothing. It won't say a word. Before I'm out of the car I have TurboXS ringing faster then I would have 911 and get the batter unplugged. They say they have no idea why that happened, and it shouldn't have. They tell me to hook the battery back up and see if I have power, I do.

They go onto say that I shouldn't have needed to go anywhere and click START, etc., like I did...

So, now I'm deathly scared of frying my car.... can someone walk me through this better?

Does the car need to be running?
I have all the parameters setup in the HT just fine I think, when do I start it up?
Should the HT be black with white text, like it shows in the manual?- Cuzz Mines white, with no next... anywhere... and I can't get any to show up.

Thanks... I feel like sucha n00b again! Just don't feel like losing my expensive, professional tune, lol. I just wanna datalog my hesitation problems!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always datalog with car running j/k---> car on open HT already set-up to UTEC specs, and I usually hit enter to start the process, not escape like you did. Before that it wont show anything like you said.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

I have to hit escape to get out of the white screen on start up. That brings me to the main menu. Just mess with it a bit, you'll be ok.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn.. You scared me............
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
hr2burn

yeah...I feel your fear. I would leave this shiz to a professional tuner!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:21 PM
peptidbond

Sounds like a HT hiccup. If you really want to be safe, disconnect the UTEC and hook a 9V to it. Then, connect via HT. That way, you cannot trash the car. However, be aware that some say the UTEC will drain a 9V battery fast.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:36 PM
gNaRKiLL

take the battery out of the car and hook it directly up to the utec, basically so that the utec is not connected to the vehicle and you can mess around with the program and such, it doesnt have to be connected to the vehicle in order for you to mess with it im sure. Ive never messed with a utec but thats how the performance electronics ecu was like for our SAE car.
-Chuck
Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i freaked out when I 1st installed my UTEC. apparently, I didn't have one of the connectord to the stock ECU fully connected. I soon as I turned the key on, the fan started spinning like crazy and the car wouldn't start.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:16 AM
AmateuRN

Originally Posted by Alberto
I always datalog with car running j/k---> car on open HT already set-up to UTEC specs, and I usually hit enter to start the process, not escape like you did. Before that it wont show anything like you said.
Lol, ok, reading back over it, my comment sounded stupid, lol. I just expected like a menu or something to come up on the screen even with the engine off.

So to datalog, just hit enter? What about to get to the main menu to look at fuel maps? I don't want to CHANGE anything, I just want to look around...
Old 02-08-2007, 11:01 AM
captj3

Read the manual. I can't say this enough times. You will learn something new every time. Print a copy of and keep it with you when you hook up your laptop.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:05 AM
AmateuRN

Originally Posted by captj3
Read the manual. I can't say this enough times. You will learn something new every time. Print a copy of and keep it with you when you hook up your laptop.
I have it downloaded on the laptop. As I said, I downloaded it the night before and read it all the way through, then tried to read the parts that had to do with datalogging and getting to the main menu again. And I did the steps on HT as they did them in the manual [I followed along]. I don't know if I have 2.8 or not, so I don't know if that effects how different mine looks from theirs.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
SGP_Racing

Default Chris---->>>>>>>>> Like he said.....LOL

Originally Posted by Alberto
When you bring it up & have the white screen hit ENTER not ESC...... If you have any problems, call me I still have your MAP here.... I can e-mail it to you..... Alberto has it right though....Hit it up....

-Mark
Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
AmateuRN

MARK! Yeah I tried calling the other day... kinda hard to get past the guys upfront, lol. Car is still having that hesitation issue... Like you told me, it may be switing between some maps [fuel]... maybe I can work out how to keep it in one? I still can't get past 5500
Old 02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You think you're scared? I almost **** myself when I first saw a CEL with my emanage ultimate... luckily I figured out and fixed the problem (injectors running too rich)

Just plug that **** in and figure it out dude. The UTEC is a great piece of hardware. You cannot hurt anything by datalogging...
Old 02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
AmateuRN

Tried hitting ENTER and still no go. Tried switching between COM5 and COM6 [only two I have] and also switching USB port, still nothing.

When you first are setting it up are you guys entering a phone number?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Quick way to see which is the right COM port is to disconnect your USB->Serial adapter, and check your COM list via properties. Then connect your USB->serial adapter, wait about 15 seconds then do the same thing again, you'll see a new COM entry. That is the correct COM port to use. Try your baud rate at either 9600 or 19200bps

I just connected up to mine in like 5 seconds for the first time, no issues here. If you just see a white screen with no text when you hit keys it sounds like you got the incorrect COM port. If you seem some jargon appear, it usually means you got an incorrect baud rate. Make sure you do 8-N-1-None on your serial connection!

Of course make sure your car is either started or the key is on the ON position.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate serial connections... I have to deal with them in my lab