Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

How to reflash the ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 AM
nfsp g35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out the processor (and thus instruction set) that our ECU uses is the same as some of the Subarus, and the Mazda RX-8. Check this out and you'll see what I mean: http://www.google.com/#q=sh7055+sitepenecu.org
I also found the datasheet for it.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:27 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Yup, yup, yup. You're not telling me anything I am not aware of Every model year of the WRX I tuned in the past, 02-07 had a different rev of the ROM. So, that's 6 different revs just for WRXs. STIs add another few to the mix. That means every rev has the maps in different ROM addresses

I really doubt that each trim of a Z for a given model year has a different ROM version. That would be insanely expensive to manufacture. They most likely have the same ROM which is capabable of working with different hardware options available on the car.

From what I've seen, finding the maps is actually pretty straighforward in the ROM. They are usually easy to spot since the ECU usually does a pretty obvious instruction set to access them. The hard part is figuring out how all the logic works along with the numbers in the maps. Another piece is figuring out the exact representation of the numbers and conversion formulas. For example, timing map will not store the degrees of timing in exact numbers that are human readable. There's usually a conversion formula to interpret the numbers so you or I can read them. Basic adjustments like timing or fueling are relatively easy to alter since the usage of the map is straightforward. It's all the other nasty little maps that are criptic that tend to be a pain to work with like open/closed loop transitions, knock detection ranges, compensation maps, etc. Those are a pain to figure out.

Technosquare is most likely staying busy disassembling the new model year ROMs and remapping everything for the new years. I really doubt that they keep going back to older year versions and redoing things. Every reflash company that I have seen prety much operates this way. They really don't spend the time to go back to older ROMs and redo things. I am willing to bet all the work now is happening on 07 ROMs.

I know it's a lot of work. I know it's hard. But hey, people have done this already on other cars. We have to aim high and hopefulyl with enough bright people willing to help, we can perhaps get something going. I'm sure Technosquare didn't get their reflash perfect either. The things that Cobb did wrong were just plain old out of laziness. For example, the maps weren't rescaled to higher than stock loads which were guaranteed on modified cars. The end result was like running on a half map with insufficient map ranges to cover the load values. Lame. Same went for knock detection ranges. In higher loads, the ECU would just stop listening for detonation because the "tuner" never got around to raising stock knock thresholds. That's just bad.

Maybe I am tainted after my experiences with tuners and the quality of the work. I just have a hard time buying into a product that a single place that makes it tells me is good and works awesome. I'd like to make that determination myself I guess. So it may take several years If anything, it will be lots of fun.
humm. Well to give you an idea of just how many VQ35 Rom's there are, I have attached Uprevs Rom matirx. With just what has been patch since 2-16-10 and that is know about. I some cases there are 12 different ROM's per a year.

Happy Patching
Attached Files
File Type: zip
UpRev ROM.zip (77.0 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by cdoxp800; 06-20-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM
nfsp g35

^Just because there are a lot of different ROMs doesn't mean it's a useless project.
About the only computer that's vastly different is the early 03 G35 Sedan (Maxima style, grey connector ECU) and uprev won't tune those. They've already said so themselves.
That tells me that there isn't much work involved in mapping a different G35 rom once you've done a couple. Probably just a matter of finding the maps (and once you know what the maps look like in one ROM, you know what to look for in the next one)

Last edited by nfsp g35; 06-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM
cdoxp800

^. No I am just say you have allot of work to do. I think it's a great idea my-self. Best of luck.

Last edited by cdoxp800; 06-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:53 PM
nfsp g35

^Oh ok. Thanks.

Over on openECU somebody managed to get a dump of a factory ROM. I made a post in the thread asking if there was a fairly easy way to accomplish that.
If the software available through the openECU project can do it, I'm willing to buy a cable.
My hopes would be at that point to coordernate with as many Z/G guys as possible to gather a ton of rom dumps from different models (events like Zdayz would be fantastic for this)
I figure the more raw data the better.
Just as an example, if the rom off of the same year/trim was really different on a manual vs auto, but there were blocks of data that were very similar and had the right "look" than it might actually make it easier to locate things like fuel tables, etc... That may not be the case at all, but as I said, the more raw data available, the better.

I'm hopeful there will be progress on this because Evo 9's actually use the EXACT same processor (and therefore instruction set) as the G/Z ECU.
Granted the programming will be entirely different, but at least there's information out there and the OpenECU software is capable of reading roms off that processor.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
cdoxp800

Well I do know this much. You cannot use a Rom from say ECU Part Number 12345 into ECU Part Number 67890. Doing this will brick the ECU.
The Rom's are ECU specific. Now with the Uprev software I should be able to Copy the Tune Data from one Patched Rom to another.
The Nissan ECU is quite different from other I have read about.