Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

COBB tuning AccessPort?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
ke0ki2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehhh, thats about 75% independent depending on how much you paid them off ^_^ lol...I kiid i kiid. thanks Cobb. if I werent such a broke *** college student...and I had a few more boltons, id order yalls product. it'll be a while tho :/
Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Dave B

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Still ready and willing to beta the early type I ecu G35 sedan here!
Me too
Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
ehhh, thats about 75% independent depending on how much you paid them off ^_^ lol...I kiid i kiid. thanks Cobb. if I werent such a broke *** college student...and I had a few more boltons, id order yalls product. it'll be a while tho :/
Actually as it stands right now you have as much bolt on as the most agresive tune can affect positively already if I understand correctly. The test pipes on your car already necessitate the most aggressive map they have to present. A far as dyno testing I doubt I will go as that is 50 to 75 dollars towards my next mod, but drive with a G37 sport and a 350 ZR with the HR often. I drive a Rev-Up ZR which almost as heavy as the G37 with less torque by stock numbers. Yesterday, the G37 and I took off from around 50mph. I fell to his rear quarter panel and stayed there. I am not sure whether the initial fall back was due to me being in a poor part of the power band or his car just being faster their, but I can tell you after the initial jump he put no more distance on me. I feel good about my car and its performance and for the time being plan to go to suspension mods. I frankly did not expect to get walked. I now plan to mod the 03 coupe to the same degree and see if the AP can do as much for the lighter torquier coupe as it did for the Rev-Up. ke0ki2k you live close enough for me to give a ride.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Dave @ COBB
Sponsor
COBB Tuning

Default Firmware Update

There has been a firmware update. Since I suck at embedded links, here is the link to the thread with all the links you need... COBB Forums

To install the firmware on you AccessPORT you'll first need to install APManager on a PC.

Then download the firmware for the AccessPORT.

Enhancements for this release:
1. Fixed issue some were seeing where the ECU Reset would not reset the ECU.
2. Added shift light capabilities.
3. Arrows have been added to the "Main Menu" to communicate to the users that there are more menu items.
4. Moved the ECU reset from the "ECU Tools" to "Trouble Shooting"
5. Time for ECU reset has been improved.
6. Rev-Limits in all the maps have been raised 500 rpm.

Know Issues

1. "Fuel Economy" does not work on 2003 to early 2004 350Z's. This is because the early Z's have narrow band air fuel sensors. The AccessPORT is set up currently to use a wide band A/F for the "Fuel Economy".
2. The A/F data monitor does not work on early 350Z's for the very same reason as the "Fuel Economy" option.
3. The A/F correction data monitor crashes. This is still under investigation and will be address in future firmware releases.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
smxtmpr34

ok i downloaded the firmware update but how do i install it on the accessport
Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 AM
smxtmpr34

when i click on the accessport tab in the AP manager the manager says not responding and the AP says fatal error has occured...
Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Dave @ COBB
Sponsor
COBB Tuning

Originally Posted by smxtmpr34
when i click on the accessport tab in the AP manager the manager says not responding and the AP says fatal error has occured...
As soon as the AP Engineer gets here, I will get you an answer.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 AM
JoeGr

I am not sure what problem you are running into. Below is a link to a thread that I created on our Cobb form.

link to Cobb Form......

My first suggestion is that you download the APManager that is there and then retry the update. If that does not work give us a call when you have some time and we'll see if we can narrow down what is causing the problem.

FYI I released a firmware update just a few days ago so you might want to double check and make sure you have the most up-to-date firmware too.

Joe @ Cobb
Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 AM
RBlover69

im confused with this device currently i have a revup with knn filter MHFC and a Skunk2 TD exhaust how is this unit going maximize my gains with my combination being different from everyone elses setup.Im intrested in this but am curious to as how it will tune my vehicle with pre determined maps. But shouldnt the maps be based on configuarations that are not my own. ???

i think i need more clarity on how this tunes....because the ease to use sounds great . But i would want to know how this tunes my ride specifically making most of what it has . And then if i recieve a new mod ala mrev2 and 1/2 spacer then how is that tune going to be adjusted for more power being made.

THanks

also i wonder if how is testing on the revup motor? i would love a 500rpm increase lol...even though theres no power to be made there that 500rpm is nice for 1/4 racing epecially when i get my 4.0 gearing.

Last edited by RBlover69; 04-25-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Dave @ COBB
Sponsor
COBB Tuning

Originally Posted by RBlover69
im confused with this device currently i have a revup with knn filter MHFC and a Skunk2 TD exhaust how is this unit going maximize my gains with my combination being different from everyone elses setup.Im intrested in this but am curious to as how it will tune my vehicle with pre determined maps. But shouldnt the maps be based on configuarations that are not my own. ???

i think i need more clarity on how this tunes....because the ease to use sounds great . But i would want to know how this tunes my ride specifically making most of what it has . And then if i recieve a new mod ala mrev2 and 1/2 spacer then how is that tune going to be adjusted for more power being made.

THanks

also i wonder if how is testing on the revup motor? i would love a 500rpm increase lol...even though theres no power to be made there that 500rpm is nice for 1/4 racing epecially when i get my 4.0 gearing.
I answered most of this on the other thread where you posted. So I'll just copy/paste it here as well... Also, my car that most of the development was done on is a revup. So don't worry about it working on those.

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town and my internet connection would let me read this thread, but not post to it.

Anyway...
The way most modifications affect the engine there is little to no difference between the brands. So things like cat-back exhausts and high flow cats are covered in the tunes. The one exception is the intakes. They can be drastically different from one brand to another. A K&N filter in the factory airbox is fine for all the maps that say they are for stock intakes (all our maps right now).

Right now our off-the-shelf maps do not allow for plenum spacers, headers, or intake manifolds. We are working on new maps and as the market grows, so will our map database.

Did this answer your questions? Let me know if you need more clarification.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
smxtmpr34

i called cobb and everything is taken care of. Cobb's support is awesome bottem line, thats all i have to say.

So anyway cobb users, dont drag the firmware update into your map list.. Very bad.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 AM
smxtmpr34

i was just wondering,, are you guys going to come out with a tune for 93 octane? b/c all of us here on the east side (at least i do) always use 93 not 91.. or would the gains just be pointless going up 2 octane
Old 05-10-2008, 10:28 AM
CSF

just an FYI to any G owners who have been waiting for this. it looks like the G35 AP was released back on 04/29.

didn't see any announcements on these forums...maybe i just missed it?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:05 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
...6. Rev-Limits in all the maps have been raised 500 rpm.
...Know Issues

1. "Fuel Economy" does not work on 2003 to early 2004 350Z's. This is because the early Z's have narrow band air fuel sensors. The AccessPORT is set up currently to use a wide band A/F for the "Fuel Economy".
Can you define "early", or how can one tell that you have a narrow band A/F sensor? I have a very early 2004 G35 Coupe, bought it in November 2003 actually. VIN range, or part number? I ask because I am trying to get closer to a total cost for the COBB AP for my car.

When you say "rev-limit" is this = cutoff? For the first gen V35 Coupes this would either be 6500 +500, or ~6570 +500 - I can see where 7000 makes sense just for the headroom, but is it really safe to take the motor in excess of 7000 rpm stock on the OEM valvetrain, etc?

Nice work, btw - your forum looks excellent, and I have a bud with all COBB on his 2004 STi, he gives some serious thumb's up for quality and quality of your support
Old 05-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Dave @ COBB
Sponsor
COBB Tuning

Originally Posted by SteveZ
Can you define "early", or how can one tell that you have a narrow band A/F sensor? I have a very early 2004 G35 Coupe, bought it in November 2003 actually. VIN range, or part number? I ask because I am trying to get closer to a total cost for the COBB AP for my car.

When you say "rev-limit" is this = cutoff? For the first gen V35 Coupes this would either be 6500 +500, or ~6570 +500 - I can see where 7000 makes sense just for the headroom, but is it really safe to take the motor in excess of 7000 rpm stock on the OEM valvetrain, etc?

Nice work, btw - your forum looks excellent, and I have a bud with all COBB on his 2004 STi, he gives some serious thumb's up for quality and quality of your support
By early, I mean not the '04.5's. I can get more clarification on that from the AP engineer. He may have VIN ranges or manufacture dates to reference.

And by rev limit, yes I mean the actual cut-off. And we only raise it 500 RPM. On the '06+ engines, this is higher than on the '05-
Old 05-11-2008, 09:00 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
By early, I mean not the '04.5's. I can get more clarification on that from the AP engineer. He may have VIN ranges or manufacture dates to reference.

And by rev limit, yes I mean the actual cut-off. And we only raise it 500 RPM. On the '06+ engines, this is higher than on the '05-
Thanks, and that's ok, the pre-2004.5 is all I need to know - both my Z33 and V35 were very early for their MY's, both came with some oddball things like the V35 having larger stock exhaust pipe from the cats back. Almost certainly the V35 has a narrow band sensor, but it would be helpful to know for sure, then go figure out what is available to replace it, what works well.

That's good for the cutoff, the 2004 V35 is too close to the redline, it is very easy to hit that extra few hundred rpm and "bang" up against the limiter. Z same, slip the rear wheels in some sand and "bam", you hit the limiter. My SR20's tuned cutoff is 8000 rpm but I spend very little time above 7000-7200, it just gives me some headroom. That's what I'd like with the VQ, too. With the light FW and heavy right foot it's too easy to blow past 6000 and before you know it, hit the limter. 3rd gear particularly has a crazy surge that comes on around 3500-4000 rpm, scared the carp out of my bud when he drove it

Thanks for the info, you guys are really doing some nice work.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:02 PM
SteveZ

i was just wondering,, are you guys going to come out with a tune for 93 octane? b/c all of us here on the east side (at least i do) always use 93 not 91.. or would the gains just be pointless going up 2 octane
+1 here, I pay for it most of the time, stations carry 87, 89, and 93 octane. My bud's EJ20 COBB tuned motor had 93 octane tune, smooth as silk and much more linear power than the WRX the motor came from (it went into a GC chassis RS).

I almost always end up with 93, too.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM
goodkd

We get 94 octane in ohio too.......
Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Z33_kid

any news for the hr motor ?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Dave @ COBB
Sponsor