Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Totally Disappointed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
With the mods, you opened up some more top end but you may loose some low end torque due to headers. I don't know enough about Tomei headers but headers are a tricky thing. I think most people underestimate the amount of science that goes into a good set of headers. Anyways, even a very fast car is only as good as a driver that knows it's strengths and weaknesses and knows how to leverage that info to go faster. Don't take it personally but perhaps you need to re-train your driving habits and learn how to drive the car that will probably behave differently now. Where did you race? Was it from a roll? At the track from a stop? How do you feel about your skills as a driver?

Remember, fractions of a sec are considered big on the track. Often times, perceived small difference may record as a big one in racing standards. Shaving 0.2 off your 1/4 mile is considered significant. Now think about it, if you didn't have a stop watch, would that kind of difference seem like a lot? Would you even think there was a difference? Also.....maybe your friend got better at driving too
It's funny how u say re-train driving.. When i first got my Z a few months back i drove one way then i installed the kinetix SSV and JWT pop charger and drove a little differently according to the feel of the car now with the latest mod being my exhaust i feel like it stretched out all of my gears thus driving differently for the third time in 5 months..
Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 AM
HadesMR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spray a 100 shot and try the GTI again IMO.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
UpRev
Banned

We have an Uprev Pro Tuner in UAE. Let me know if you need contact info for them. Pro Tuners can also adapt the stock ECU for the FI setups. We have a 500+whp 350z sitting in our bay right now as a matter of fact.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
nightcrawler_8

update

i got my car tuned with Unichip. and am satisfied now.

once i finished the tune, i asked my freind to try with me wth his GTI

1st horn, 2nd 3rd, and i start pull very hard that he cant even stand 1 gear with me. and by 4th gear adistance of 6 to 7 cars is there. so am happy now

uprev.. can i have more details plz. pm me.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by nightcrawler_8
update

1st horn, 2nd 3rd, and i start pull very hard that he cant even stand 1 gear with me. and by 4th gear adistance of 6 to 7 cars is there. so am happy now

I have my PM's turned off so that people contact me directly. I don't always get a chance to answer PM's. Can you call me or e-mail me at the shop? (512)538-4856 or rich@uprev.com
Old 06-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Hoooper

should have gone with a utec or equivalent...or even uprev reflash at a pro tuner. anything you can have actually tuned to your specific car is considerably better
Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Dear nightcrawler8: Thanks to dudes like you, my monZter stays stock! All the
$$$ I'd spend on mods is being redirected to my savings acct. I'll be retiring
on November of 'O9, and the beaZt looks f-i-n-e as is! Good luck!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your mod list isn't all that good. 3 or 4 of them are pretty useless for power. Spacer/UTEC/gears should be the first 3 mods on anybody's list, IMO.

Last edited by nismology1; 06-24-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by nismology1
Your mod list isn't all that good. 3 or 4 of them are pretty useless for power. Spacer/UTEC/gears should be the first 3 mods on anybody's list, IMO.
yeah i agree. when i first read the list i was thinking that only about half of them make power and the most important one isnt there (tuning device). im not really surprised that you arent all that much faster. you have untuned headers that are likely hurting you. the only big power gain you have is the spacers and thats not really anything thats huge.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by ZthirtyThr33
I agree with taurran.... After I got a ride in a single turbo G... I hated my Z after that.. and I quit modding it. Im done with NA. Turbos ftmfw
I pretty much have to agree, after looking at the cost for headers, exhaust, etc. I put my money into suspension, wheels, and things I plan to hang onto, the cost equation to add significant whp NA is just too lopsided against. I could easily spend another $3000-5000 or more for possibly a very optimistic +20 whp. +50 whp or more isn't even in reach w/o large sums non-FI.

Just MHO.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:13 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch the CAI at least.... they suck.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:22 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by nightcrawler_8
update

Congrats, unless you're doing this on a strip, you've taken a big first step toward losing your license and your car.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveZ
Congrats, unless you're doing this on a strip, you've taken a big first step toward losing your license and your car.
He's from the UAE... Have you seen their streets there? It's nutty how perfect and straight and level and open they are. We dream of having 5-10 miles of perfect highway with no cross roads and no other travelers on them, and they have them everywhere.

I don't think street racing is safe or sane, but seriously I'd give up Florida and most of Georgia to have some pristine open highways. (no offense to anyone in georgia or florida)
Old 06-24-2008, 03:33 PM
SteveZ

OOPs, My sincere apologies, he can get away with things we can only dream of

I just get sick of local kill stories living in an area where there's really nowhere safe to pull any of that kind of stuff. If you try, there's plenty of town/state cops around to discourage you permanently. More than 20 over on a 2-lane state road here is auto-court appearance, and even 90 mph on a wide open state hwy is an arrest offense. I grew up in a remote area of Oregon, it's so Big Brother in the NE by comparison it's not remotely funny. Back home we also had highways with no exits for many miles, and even long straight back roads largely empty of traffic - not here.

I still like a clock and a strip, and autox and track days, but hell yes, if I had the space and lenient or just not-around law enforcement in the UAE, damn straight I'd be right there, or a liar if I said I wouldn't. Doesn't make it safe but don't plan on dying in bed anyway
Old 06-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoooper
should have gone with a utec or equivalent...or even uprev reflash at a pro tuner. anything you can have actually tuned to your specific car is considerably better
do some research, the unichip is custom tunable. For a N/A application it will provide similar results to a utec.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:37 PM
UpRev
Banned

OOPs, My sincere apologies, he can get away with things we can only dream of

I just get sick of local kill stories living in an area where there's really nowhere safe to pull any of that kind of stuff. If you try, there's plenty of town/state cops around to discourage you permanently. More than 20 over on a 2-lane state road here is auto-court appearance, and even 90 mph on a wide open state hwy is an arrest offense. I grew up in a remote area of Oregon, it's so Big Brother in the NE by comparison it's not remotely funny. Back home we also had highways with no exits for many miles, and even long straight back roads largely empty of traffic - not here.

I still like a clock and a strip, and autox and track days, but hell yes, if I had the space and lenient or just not-around law enforcement in the UAE, damn straight I'd be right there, or a liar if I said I wouldn't. Doesn't make it safe but don't plan on dying in bed anyway
That and the lack of deer running across in front of you at 160mph.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
SteveZ

Sorry if OT, how does Unichip compare with UTEC and COBB? COBB I looked into seriously but found the gains sounded minimal for $800 or more. Something like +7 whp (no ref to what A/F ratio), dampened my enthusiasm. I'd be more inclined to open up the plenum with a spacer, consider AM headers and exhaust if I knew what I could reasonably expect. My SR20DE runs with a custom tune JWT ECU, my KA24DE with a Calumsoft RT ECU, so it's not like I don't believe in the power of NA tuning - it's just with those cars the difference after I/H/E was night and day with ECU tune vs. without.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry if OT, how does Unichip compare with UTEC and COBB? COBB I looked into seriously but found the gains sounded minimal for $800 or more. Something like +7 whp (no ref to what A/F ratio), dampened my enthusiasm. I'd be more inclined to open up the plenum with a spacer, consider AM headers and exhaust if I knew what I could reasonably expect. My SR20DE runs with a custom tune JWT ECU, my KA24DE with a Calumsoft RT ECU, so it's not like I don't believe in the power of NA tuning - it's just with those cars the difference after I/H/E was night and day with ECU tune vs. without.
When you are talking bolt-on power adders in a N/A setup, all are going to be comparable. You won't make a significant amount more power with a utec vs a unichip or cobb. As long as the tuner is capable, all will be within spitting distance of each other. When you add more variable into the mix, ie boost, things change and the true capabilities of the EMS will begin to separate themselves
Old 06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by UpRev
That and the lack of deer running across in front of you at 160mph.
Lol, I figure the shorter exposure time on target for the deer is better at 160 than 40

They're thick around here, I swear they have issues with suicidal depression or something, it's a miracle I've never hit one, just really close many times - bad odds! Same for Wild Turkeys, traveling in packs, just they're more messy than a menace.

Now it's Gentle Ben I have to worry about, keep seeing black bears ambling down the road, mostly this time of year, they don't give a sheet about cars, people, they just act like the own the place.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Zivman
When you are talking bolt-on power adders in a N/A setup, all are going to be comparable. You won't make a significant amount more power with a utec vs a unichip or cobb. As long as the tuner is capable, all will be within spitting distance of each other. When you add more variable into the mix, ie boost, things change and the true capabilities of the EMS will begin to separate themselves
Thanks for the info. Kind of figured that seeing what COBB has done with Subies and boost. Still, just about picked one up but needed to buy a better radiator, valve spring set for my C2's, and a few other things for my AutoX/Track car, budget went elsewhere.

That's the other reason I back off, the headers won't carry over, and I'll probably want a 3" true dual designed for FI more than the typical NA bolt-on offerings.

I just have to get the point where I won't cry like a baby if I lose a motor, because despite all the goodness of experience with good EMS I've heard running stock internals, that's an FI waystation IMHO. If you're not prepared to accept the possibility of smoking a stock motor, you just don't go there. Not that you will, and I'd be happy to see another 40k FI on the motor I have. Still, warranty isn't really much an issue much longer, the day is getting closer.

At least with an SR20DE+T a smoked motor is a $500-700 boo-hoo, and while I haven't priced VQ replacement options lately, guessing another zero wouldn't be too far off.

Quick Reply: Totally Disappointed.