Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Church Automotive/Osiris

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Church Automotive/Osiris

Ok, this post is a brief summary of my experience with Shawn Church and Osiris Uprev:

I purchased osiris and cable from SC about 2 months ago and SC agreed to do a remote custom tune, since our vehicles have the same ecu and I could start off with his personal maps.

I received the cable, software, and base maps from SC in a timely fashion (Shawn even express mailed it to me ) and did some data logging on the street and sent these to SC for him to adjust A/F for my maps. SC did this, very very well, and was kind enough to respond to my questions and concerns at this time. I still think SC is one of the best tuners out there, hands down.

Then came time to go to the dyno to test out cam timing to see what my setup wants. SC sent me some maps with different cam timing and I went to the dyno to do this. The shop charged me ~$400 for the time on the dyno, which seemed high, but having the results I sent them to SC for analysis and the custom final maps.

This was over 5 weeks ago!

In the past 5+ weeks I have sent SC numerous e-mails, called multiple times, and have left multiple messages. I received one e-mail from Shawn about 2 weeks ago apologizing for the delay, explaining that March was one of his busiest months and that he was "working on my final maps right now", but I have not heard from him since. Another time I called, I overheard him on the dyno saying that he would be sending me the final maps that night. Never happened.

So about $1100, 2+ months since original purchase, and 1+ month since sending SC my dyno files later, I have 1 map. That's right 1 map. This map has adjusted A/F settings for me, but the cam timing is based on SC's setup, not mine. Also, when I was on the dyno, the 1 composite osiris map I do have performed a little worse than the TS reflash.

SC promised me my final maps, including an economy map, launch control, 100 octane, etc. and has not delivered. I very much hope he still delivers and has not forgotten about me.

My intention is not to bash SC or osiris (The software is great and SC is a very knowledgeable, experienced, and capable tuner). I would just like to get my final maps, after much delay and unanswered inquiries. I think the community deserves to know what I went through. I have even asked a fellow forum member local to SC to ask about my maps next time he stopped by Church Auto since no one is getting back to me.

My suggestion to those looking at getting a custom Osiris tune is to go directly to the tuner and not to do a "remote" tune. If you do not live close to a licensed osiris dealer/tuner, I would suggest ordering direct through uprev because 2+ months and $1100 later, all I have to show for it is 1 map that, although gives me a safer A/F, is not fully optimized for my setup.

Shawn, if you read this I hope you understand that this post is not a personal attack on you, but I do feel somewhat miffed and I would appreciate it if you would follow through with my final maps, or at least contact me via e-mail/phone to give me a real eta. Thank you sir.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get dyno charts with any of your recent dyno runs? Did any of the tunes improve horsepower or torque?

Strange that you would go to someone other than UpRev for remote tuning via Osiris. My recommendation would be to either go to a respected Tuner that can tune your car in real time, or purchase Osiris from UpRev and use them to create the Osiris maps remotely. UpRev uses Cipher maps created by you on your vehicle to determine the optimal parameters for their Osiris maps.

Did you get a copy of Cipher?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:18 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by __jb
Did you get dyno charts with any of your recent dyno runs? Did any of the tunes improve horsepower or torque?

Strange that you would go to someone other than UpRev for remote tuning via Osiris. My recommendation would be to either go to a respected Tuner that can tune your car in real time, or purchase Osiris from UpRev and use them to create the Osiris maps remotely. UpRev uses Cipher maps created by you on your vehicle to determine the optimal parameters for their Osiris maps.

Yes, I have a licensed copy of Osiris and Cipher with a cable.

Shawn Church is a very respected tuner and I am confident in his tuning abilities. I don't take what happened personally, I realize that I only have "fallen through the cracks" because his business is doing so well locally.

Jared at Uprev was also kind enough to leave a message with Shawn and agreed to work on the maps and help me out if SC is unable to (Thank you Jared!).

I have dyno and cipher logs with different cam timing maps that SC sent me.

The composite performance map, did gain some mid trq over the TS reflash : 2 different days, same dyno, same gas, same plugs, similar ambien temp's:
blue is the Technosquare reflash
Red is the Osiris reflash with tailored A/F and SC's car's cam timing.
I'm hoping a final map with customized cam timing will bump me up a tad more.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 04-22-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:35 PM
jonnylaw

graph of the dyno pulls of the different cam timing maps:

Old 04-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Church's can be pretty bad about returning messages/calls/emails.

It's really best to try to get him on the phone. Frustrating for sure. Good luck.

IMO based on your dynos this looks like a good advertisement for the technosquare reflash which is quite a bit cheaper than what you claim to have spent (although you are getting more maps eventually, right?)
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

It's really best to try to get him on the phone. Frustrating for sure. Good luck.

IMO based on your dynos this looks like a good advertisement for the technosquare reflash which is quite a bit cheaper than what you claim to have spent (although you are getting more maps eventually, right?)
Yea, hopefully I'll be getting 5 maps (93 performance comp., 100 octane, economy, valet/launch control, and lower octane map). But Uprev can't help me on the race gas map, only SC can do that according to Jared.

Also, the TS reflash was set for the MREV2/spacer and not the Cosworth plenum (which what was installed when the dyno pull was done); dunno if that makes a difference or not, I think on the TS flash, I ran a little lean on the top end and SC added more fuel so it would be safer at higher rpms.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

sounds about right...

so what was the gain on the cosworth plenum? I've been out of the loop with performance mods for a while.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

The purchase price for standard Osiris is $700 and comes with Cipher, five maps, and an unlimited number of new maps/tunes by UpRev.

This method using SC and an outside dyno made johnnylaw's project much more expensive than normal.

The advantage UpRev/Osiris has over Technosquare is that you can create Cipher logs of your individual car and send them to UpRev. UpRev analyses your specific Cipher logs and creates a map tuned for your car. If you change plenums or add headers later on, just send UpRev a Cipher log or two and they will make a new Osiris map for you. These upgrade maps are currently free, but might not always be.

AFAIK, Technosquare just pieces together standard data and flashes a single map... plus you have to yank your ECU out of the car and mail it to them.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through UpRev directly for my Orisis ECU reflash. They were pretty good about tuning my ECU and retuning it based on the logs I provided them. The Orisis ECU flash has really helped lock my ECU down, so that it no longer tries to "adjust" around my UTEC tune.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
jonnylaw

Just wanted everyone to know that SC delivered my final maps and offered to go above and beyond what he needed to in order to make things right.

Thanks Shawn!

I'll be sending him some more data logs with the final maps so he can make sure everything is right. Hopefully we can squeeze some more hp out of my setup
Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
jonnylaw

sounds about right...

so what was the gain on the cosworth plenum? I've been out of the loop with performance mods for a while.
Well, the results compared to the MD setup I had on the Technosquare reflash, were dissapointing to say the least. The MREV2, 5/16 spacer definetly outperformed the MD setup on the TS reflash. N/A gains seem to be similar to a basic spacer.

If I didn't already order the HKS GT SC (planning for ~9psi of boost w/ whp goal of ~375-400 on stock block), I would have taken the Cos off and sold it and put the MD setup back on.

Here is a comparison graph of the MD setup vs. the Cosworth plenum: Same dyno, same gas, same plugs, similar ambient temp's, different days.

Supporting engine/breathing mod's besides the Technosquare reflash were: Arc induction box, Amuse titan intake tube, Nismo headers, Power Enterprise HFC's, Tanabe y pipe, Amuse R1 titan exhaust, OS Giken STR clutch/flywheel, UR pulleys:

SC and I were hoping that the Osiris custom tune, would bring back some of what was lost when going from the MD to the Cos setup, while gaining a bit up top.

What will be a more interesting test (If I can do it), is to dyno the MD setup and the Cos plenum, once the HKS GT Sc is installed on my G..
Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Just wanted everyone to know that SC delivered my final maps and offered to go above and beyond what he needed to in order to make things right.

Thanks Shawn!

I'll be sending him some more data logs with the final maps so he can make sure everything is right. Hopefully we can squeeze some more hp out of my setup

Awesome. This is the difference between Uprev and Technosquare right here.

If you guys have any issues with any of our Pro Tuners, don't hesitate to contact us and we'll try and help them and you resolve issues. Customers are the reason we're in business and Pro Tuners are the reason we stay in business. If there is anything we can do to help either... we'll try.

Last edited by UpRev; 04-24-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

The purchase price for standard Osiris is $700 and comes with Cipher, five maps, and an unlimited number of new maps/tunes by UpRev.

This method using SC and an outside dyno made johnnylaw's project much more expensive than normal.

The advantage UpRev/Osiris has over Technosquare is that you can create Cipher logs of your individual car and send them to UpRev. UpRev analyses your specific Cipher logs and creates a map tuned for your car. If you change plenums or add headers later on, just send UpRev a Cipher log or two and they will make a new Osiris map for you. These upgrade maps are currently free, but might not always be.

AFAIK, Technosquare just pieces together standard data and flashes a single map... plus you have to yank your ECU out of the car and mail it to them.

I'm very familiar with TS and the fact that they're local to a big number of users (socal) makes them a good choice.

Osiris is also a great deal, no doubt about it.

It is great that the 2 options are not exactly the same... it gives people a good number of tuning options.

I wish it was around when I was ghetto rigging my emanage ultimate.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Well, the results compared to the MD setup I had on the Technosquare reflash, were dissapointing to say the least. The MREV2, 5/16 spacer definetly outperformed the MD setup on the TS reflash. N/A gains seem to be similar to a basic spacer.

If I didn't already order the HKS GT SC (planning for ~9psi of boost w/ whp goal of ~375-400 on stock block), I would have taken the Cos off and sold it and put the MD setup back on.

Here is a comparison graph of the MD setup vs. the Cosworth plenum: Same dyno, same gas, same plugs, similar ambient temp's, different days.

Supporting engine/breathing mod's besides the Technosquare reflash were: Arc induction box, Amuse titan intake tube, Nismo headers, Power Enterprise HFC's, Tanabe y pipe, Amuse R1 titan exhaust, OS Giken STR clutch/flywheel, UR pulleys:

SC and I were hoping that the Osiris custom tune, would bring back some of what was lost when going from the MD to the Cos setup, while gaining a bit up top.

What will be a more interesting test (If I can do it), is to dyno the MD setup and the Cos plenum, once the HKS GT Sc is installed on my G..

I don't understand exactly what you're saying.

And can you clarify the part in bold/red?

MREV2+5/16" spacer is a motordyne (MD) setup, but you list the two things seperately: "MD setup" and "MREV2+5/16"

So the cosworth plenum loses to MREV2+5/16" spacer?

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 04-25-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:08 PM
OCG35
Banned

they use off-the-shelf maps based on data logs sent... Shawn was trying to help John do custom maps (by dyno) remote - UpRev doesn't do this.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:39 PM
ChurchAutoTest

Just to comment, we dropped the ball on Jon's final files. We accept total responsibility for that. And while there is no excuse for his having to wait, I did explain to Jon why things were delayed (and it had nothing to do with being too busy this month, we hired extra help after last month). That is between he and I (and is also why I haven't been around at the forums here or at G35Driver for over a month), but I believe he found it satisfactory. Sometimes mistakes are made and you have to own up. However, I think our overall customer service record speaks for itself, whether customers are local or distant (our Arizona tuning trip).

The idea behind a custom tune using the dyno goes beyond just looking at AFR and actually looking at the power numbers so we can optimize cam timing (which can't be done just looking at AFRs from the datalogs). The goal here was to take advantage of what appeared to be very different flow characteristics of the Cosworth manifold.

While the initial test runs did not show a dramatic power difference from his previous tune, Jon reported much better fuel economy and response on the street. Looking into it, it appears the problem was that on the street his car runs 170F coolant temps, but on the dyno he was seeing 210-215F temps which significantly sap power. I'd like to see his results when he goes back and keeps coolant temps down to street levels.

Finally, while the Uprev package with self flasher plus the dyno time is more expensive than other off the shelf products, we did not charge Jon _any_ additional fees for our custom support work (however delayed it was) in generating additional maps. Obviously the scheduling process of doing remote dyno tuning needs work on our end and Jon suffered some of the growing pains.

Again, my apologies and I hope we've made good for Jon. Obviously this may make some folks more hesitant to do remote dyno work in the future, so we'll have to put some guarantees in place to protect against a repeat of Jon's delays. Rest assured though that if you're local, you can get a complete tune in less than 2 hours with no issues. If you're not local to an Uprev dealer, and you need help with custom tuning, please call me and let us earn your business.

Shawn Church
Old 04-25-2008, 06:19 PM
jonnylaw

^^Thx for posting Shawn. You've absolutely made good and you offered to do more than neessary to make things right. At this point I am 100% satisfied.

I did not mean to downplay our results. The car is much more responsive, fuel mileage is much better and controlled (whereas before it was a complete mess), and I have a complete set of custom maps

I also should have gone to a dyno shop with a more reasonable rate; but since that is where my baseline pulls were done, I went there. I will try to make it back for some quick dyno pulls under normal operating levels to better show the results made. The dyno graphs I posted are not good representations of how the car performs with the final maps uploaded.

With everything complete, I can now say that I would 100% recommend SC for tuning, not just local, but "remote" tunes as well. The delay with my maps was a fluke resulting from bad circumstance and the difficulties associated with being one of the first to get a "remote tune".

Another good selling point of getting custom Osiris tuning from Shawn is that he can provide race gas octane maps, whereas Uprev is unable to do this at the moment.

Having both a Technosquare and Osiris/Cipher reflash, I can say with confidence that Osiris offered a much more complete and workeable setup than Technosquare.

If local, or remote, I wouldn't hesitate to contact Shawn Church for custom Osiris tuning. The finished results are great and SC went above and beyond what he had to do to keep me a happy customer.:biggthumpup:
Old 04-25-2008, 06:23 PM
jonnylaw

I don't understand exactly what you're saying.

And can you clarify the part in bold/red?

MREV2+5/16" spacer is a motordyne (MD) setup, but you list the two things seperately: "MD setup" and "MREV2+5/16"

So the cosworth plenum loses to MREV2+5/16" spacer?
Sorry for the confusion. Yes the MREV2+5/16 spacer is the same as the "MD setup", just labeled differently. Blue is MD, Red is Cosworth.

Without custom tuning (just swapping the MD combo for the Cosworth) resulted in both of a loss of peak power and area under the curve. With the final maps uploaded, I'm fairly sure much of that loss has been regained, thanks to SC and Osiris (hoping to get to the dyno soon to verify).

For NA revups, the MD combo is hands down a better performer and a better buy.

Cos plenum seems to only really shine on high boost/high rev applications.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
jonnylaw

Just filled up with unleaded 100 octane rockett race fuel and loaded up the race gas map.

The car definetly feels stronger, but at $6.50 a gallon, its hella expensive!

I might just try to make it to the dyno this week though to see how much of an improvement the final maps have made, despite the high cost of the dyno ($200 for 3 pulls).
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Hoooper

200 for 3 pulls? i hope that includes tuning cause otherwise youre overpaying by a minimum of 100

Quick Reply: Church Automotive/Osiris