Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs
View Poll Results: How do you break in your newly built motor? FI/NA
Break in on Dyno, and tune right to boost!!
32.00%
Break in on no boost for 1500-2000 miles then tune to boost.
68.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on Engine Break in methods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll on Engine Break in methods?

Im just curious to see the various shops/tuners/DIY's methods to break in their new motors and seat the rings..Please Vote, then discuss, give reasons please..

Us, we personally break in all our motors on 10-40 Rotella Oil (for Desiels) which in our opinion and experience allows for a good amount of break in wear to seat the rings..It contains alot of the sulfers and additives conventional motor oil removes for emmissions..We love it, then go to synthetic at about 2000-3000 miles.

We break in 500 miles on the road, no or VERY low boost, variable RPM ranges (Stop and go driving preffered..)
Then we tune on dyno for low boost map and break in for another 1000 miles before going high boost maps..total miles, about 1500 break in.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

I like this thread Julian... but it probably makes no real difference in the end cuase people should just follow what ever their tuner recomends. Customers just see end result
You know your method has worked flawlesly for you so far, no need to debate it

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-16-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

+1 ....drive nice for 1k then give her hell!!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 PM
ForcefedZ

Opinions are going to varying on how this should be done and what is the "correct" way to break in an engine. This is what has worked for me.

First is not a good idea to have to break-in a new engine without having a good base map for the EMS.

Second, prime the engine oiling system and also preheat the engine oil if you can.

Start the engine and bring the revs up to 2000-2500 for at least 30secs, at this point you can vary the engine rpm but try to minimize any idling.

Put the car on the dyno, use forth gear and do some 1/4 throttle pulls using about half of the engine rev range it's important to let the car engine brake on decel.

Do that about 3-4 time and then let the car cool down.

Repeat the same procedure above using 3/4 of the rev range and then same thing using the complete rev range.

You'll notice a few things. It's going to sound like you are killing the engine and it's going smoke a good amount during decel. You will also notice if you are watching the engine torque output in real time it will keep increasing to a certain point. Once you've reach that point the torque stops increasing the rings are seated and it should not smoke on decel anymore.

Change the engine oil and filter.

You are now ready to do full throttle runs.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ That's pretty much how I thought a "proper" breakin was
Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM
UpRev
Banned

My 2 cents. Torcousa.com offers true break in fluid designed specifically for this application. I even run it the first 30 minutes on dealer bought new cars. After 30 minutes you swap over to your normal oil and you're good to go.

Most of the shops I've dealt with have used Torco products, and the guys there are very knowledgeable. They make their own formulations based on application, it's not a one size fits all kind of oil like the other companies. I can't stress enough how much that sort of attention to detail matters on initial start up.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ
Put the car on the dyno, use forth gear and do some 1/4 throttle pulls using about half of the engine rev range it's important to let the car engine brake on decel.
On a load based dyno like the dyno dynamics, would you reccomend using the "ramp down" feature?
Do that about 3-4 time and then let the car cool down.
Normally we let it cool for about 30 minutes..When we do this
You will also notice if you are watching the engine torque output in real time it will keep increasing to a certain point. Once you've reach that point the torque stops increasing the rings are seated and it should not smoke on decel anymore.
Are you saying the TQ will increase from run to run, then level out?Or are you saying the TQ will level out on each run? This is some good info here...Its always good to share ideas with other tuners and learn from one another.
Just when you thought you knew it all, you learn something new each day..
Old 05-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by UpRev
My 2 cents. Torcousa.com offers true break in fluid designed specifically for this application. I even run it the first 30 minutes on dealer bought new cars. After 30 minutes you swap over to your normal oil and you're good to go.

Most of the shops I've dealt with have used Torco products, and the guys there are very knowledgeable. They make their own formulations based on application, it's not a one size fits all kind of oil like the other companies. I can't stress enough how much that sort of attention to detail matters on initial start up.
How many motors have you broken in with this fluid? Im interested in trying some of this out as well..
Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
How many motors have you broken in with this fluid? Im interested in trying some of this out as well..
Last 5 of my cars have been done that way. The engine builders I've worked with that build track motors for cars/motorcycles/watercraft all use it. Torco used to be the supplier of the assembly lube that came with all the ARP studs till ARP got cheap about it. I keep a few bottles of it around for stuff around the shop in case bolts don't come with Torco assembly lube.

Torco is expensive oil, but this is an expensive hobby.

Mike Ribas is the man to talk to at Torco, tell him Rich sent you. They have decent pricing for dealers, and they have distributors nationwide.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by UpRev
Last 5 of my cars have been done that way. The engine builders I've worked with that build track motors for cars/motorcycles/watercraft all use it. Torco used to be the supplier of the assembly lube that came with all the ARP studs till ARP got cheap about it. I keep a few bottles of it around for stuff around the shop in case bolts don't come with Torco assembly lube.

Torco is expensive oil, but this is an expensive hobby.

Mike Ribas is the man to talk to at Torco, tell him Rich sent you. They have decent pricing for dealers, and they have distributors nationwide.
Is it a synthetic oil itself or is it added to the oil? You got a link to the product itslef?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:29 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
Is it a synthetic oil itself or is it added to the oil? You got a link to the product itslef?
TBO is non synthetic.

Torco makes synthetic and non synthetic oils. The Assembly lube links...

http://www.torcousa.com/products/pro...c-b3299fb9413b

http://www.torcousa.com/products/pro...d-0ff152ef0f45
Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Good thread, Julian.

It will be interesting to see how many tuners will share their startup information.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:12 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by __jb
Good thread, Julian.

It will be interesting to see how many tuners will share their startup information.
+1