Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris c/o uprev or Apexi programmer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:11 PM
SamH
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Osiris c/o uprev or Apexi programmer

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting the osiris programmer from uprev or i'm also thinking about getting the apexi tuner. I am curious as to which is better and more importantly, what kind of HP and tq gains will I be looking at? I currently have a JWT Popcharger and Borla TD exhaust w/ a magnaflow xpipe/muffler installed.... any info is greatly appreciated thx
Old 06-26-2008, 04:05 AM
BrazenZ

As far as Horsepower gains, Not much for the money you going to spend. Save it untill you can purchase and FI setup.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 AM
UpRev
Banned

HP and TQ gains are purely dependent on your tuner and your particular car. Tuning is tuning, we're using all the stock ECU capabilities and you can buy our product, use it now and continue to use it when/if you go forced induction. Any system that allows full control, in the right tuners hands will create very similar numbers.

As far as the Apexi, it's rather simple for the end user to tune themselves, but at the same time it is a constant fight with the stock ECU. I know they are big in the OBDI cars and there are a few people using them in other brand vehicles somewhat sucessfully, but I don't see many of them being used in Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, etc vehicles with the intelligent ECUs. I have used various Apexi tuning solutions in a number of factory turbo'd cars over the years for some basic fuel control when adding boost. Thats been my only experience with them is using them as a patch.

I'd like to know more about their new products though, as I haven't played with the Apexi stuff in a few years if anyone else has any experience with them.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 PM
raditz

Originally Posted by UpRev
HP and TQ gains are purely dependent on your tuner and your particular car. Tuning is tuning, we're using all the stock ECU capabilities and you can buy our product, use it now and continue to use it when/if you go forced induction. Any system that allows full control, in the right tuners hands will create very similar numbers.

As far as the Apexi, it's rather simple for the end user to tune themselves, but at the same time it is a constant fight with the stock ECU. I know they are big in the OBDI cars and there are a few people using them in other brand vehicles somewhat sucessfully, but I don't see many of them being used in Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, etc vehicles with the intelligent ECUs. I have used various Apexi tuning solutions in a number of factory turbo'd cars over the years for some basic fuel control when adding boost. Thats been my only experience with them is using them as a patch.

I'd like to know more about their new products though, as I haven't played with the Apexi stuff in a few years if anyone else has any experience with them.

Anyway, the stock ECU will only fight the Apexi while it runs in closed loop mode (low load), isn't it? at WOT there won't be any correction made by the ECU
Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by raditz
Anyway, the stock ECU will only fight the Apexi while it runs in closed loop mode (low load), isn't it? at WOT there won't be any correction made by the ECU
Yes, and why would you want your car to only run half right? I don't get the point of only half tuning a car. Those type of systems make atleast a tiny bit of sense when you're talking about a turbo car, because that motor has two states anyway. Boost and vacuum.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Pick Osiris - comes with Cipher, which is invaluable for diagnostics. Great support from UpRev. No question.