Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Tuning Classes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Blwn_By_Twins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Classes

So I've been looking around at different "schools" that teach automotive tuning and have found a few. For the most part they stress GM/Ford. I'm assuming that tuning is pretty much a across the board kind of thing, but I'd like to ask some of the people and builders on here were they learned and if they have any recommendations.

This is something I've been interested in learning for a long time. I've been building and modding street bike engines for years, but was never trained how to tune. Now I'm learning more about modding cars and am seriously thinking about a career in it and would like to learn.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Blwn_By_Twins

Ooops, thought I put this under Tuning. Thanks for the move!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.efi101.com/
Old 08-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Thanks Adam. I'm looking around at different books to read so I'm not completely brain dead to the subject when I take the class. On that site I saw Ben published a book about it. I was getting ready to order it from Amazon until I read the reviews on it and apparently it is rittled w/ incorrect facts about different things. This is quoted from the review.

There are mistakes in the chapter of the book on manifold absolute pressure and MAP sensors. Errors are in discussions of how engine controllers set spark advance. A discussion about the causes of lean misfire is wholly inaccurate. An explanation of gasoline octane ratings is faulty. Statements about how chassis dynamometers work are incorrect. Those are just some examples of the slip-ups in this book.
A few people also commented that it doesn't actually talk about HOW to tune a car very much at all. Which I'm fine with b/c I'm more interested in being more informed when I take the class anyway. I would just hate to have read this with all the mistakes then be go to the class and be confused b/c he's teaching something else and relearn it all.

Do you have any suggestions on books I might read to help me learn the the different functions of EFI and how they work?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know any current books on the subject, as the ones I am aware of are all outdated at this point from a specific ecu discussion (still might be worth reading though - I'm sure you can find them on Amazon, etc). You might also want to contact a few of the manufactuers of standalones and see what they recommend. No book out there is going to teach you the "hows" of tuning, but they will cover general theory, etc. For the hows, you really need to just practice. Many people I know have taken the class and found it very helpful as well
Old 09-12-2008, 03:41 PM
silver350tn

i also have been wondering the same thing, is there like an internship or something anyone is offering?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 PM
DanielW
Banned

I can take class and charge $175/hr to tune teh carZ?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by DanielW
I can take class and charge $175/hr to tune teh carZ?
You can only charge that much if you have a $100k dyno, rent, insurance, knowledge, ability.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 AM
ForcefedZ

Forced Induction Performance Tuning by A. Bell

This is a good read, learn the basics on what's going on inside the engine. Once you have a good understanding of that you will be able to make educated prediction to tuning and mechanical changes.

If you are serious about learning "tuning" my advice would be to read all of the tuning books you can find, new and old. Learning this trade is a slow progression, with hands on experience being essential. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't assume someone with laptop and chassis dyno really knows what they are doing. Understanding and recognizing why certain changes are needed and the effects they have is really what your seeking. You'll hear the terms "conservative or aggressive tune" it's mostly BS. Either it's optimum for that particular set up, or it needs further work