Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:46 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some advice please

I am planing on turboing my 2006 350z over the winter. My goals is 400whp max. as I would like to retain the reliability to some extent.

Ok, so I have recently purchased a UTEC with map sensor, sofware, cables and all the other stuff that is standard with the "kit". Also bought some APS injectors, 500cc rated @ 4 bar . I called around town to see if anyone if familiar with the interface and tuning this ECU. No luck, but there is a tuner shop about 1.5h away that has tuned with it. So I thought great, here is the solution.

I call the tuner to get an oppinion on returnless fuel system, and then we get talking about this UTEC. As soon as I mentioned it, he takes a deep breath and pauses. He has tuned it but doesn't like it, AT ALL, saying it's arkeic. Then he mentioned a few other things, like the fact that it uses Hyperterminal and that you have to adjust settings, save them and then see if that works...bla bla bla.

As he proceeds, and starts talking Haltec I begin to understand that they are a Haltec dealer. I know a Haltec would set me back about $2500 when it's all said and done. I know that it is a better platfrom but is it really worth that much, considering my 400whp goals.

What do you guys think? I don't really have $2500 for a Haltec, but I'm afraid of a bad tune.

How is the E-manage ultimate? I see that some members are using it as well on FI applications.

Any advice is apreciated.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 09-17-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 AM
frankie945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell your tuner to upload the Turobonetic's map on there site and go from there. I think they have a 550cc map that is what we used to get started. Or sell the utec and go with uprev thats what I plan to do in the future as soon as I see more results with FI cars using uprev.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:08 AM
UpRev
Banned

I know I'll get flamed by Fluid1 but...

We have a shop that we work with in Red Deer that can use our system to tune your car, it's cheaper than the Haltec choice over all, and you will recoup money on the Utec if you can find a buyer. Plus with the weather change up there, having MAF over MAP is a big help. You won't need a retune as soon as the weather changes.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 AM
frankie945

The weather is always messing up my tune. Here in the Ohio Valley the weather changes all the time. Last night 58 degrees this afternoon is to be 85 degrees.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by UpRev
I know I'll get flamed by Fluid1 but...

We have a shop that we work with in Red Deer that can use our system to tune your car, it's cheaper than the Haltec choice over all, and you will recoup money on the Utec if you can find a buyer. Plus with the weather change up there, having MAF over MAP is a big help. You won't need a retune as soon as the weather changes.

I am guessing you are refering to light speed innocations. I talket to CAM about this whole thing, and he is the one pushing Haltec. The car will only be used during summer months so I'm not too worried about changing weather.

What is this sytem you are talking about? Through my searching here I have noticed that you get flamed for just about every post in this section. If it is a good stystem why didn't he recomend it when I was talking to him?

Thanks guys
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 AM
frankie945

Not to many people have heard of uprev that I know off they a fairly new I think.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I am guessing you are refering to light speed innocations. I talket to CAM about this whole thing, and he is the one pushing Haltec. The car will only be used during summer months so I'm not too worried about changing weather.

What is this sytem you are talking about? Through my searching here I have noticed that you get flamed for just about every post in this section. If it is a good stystem why didn't he recomend it when I was talking to him?

Thanks guys
Don't know that company. I was refering to VEX Tuning in Red Deer. Talk to Franklin and let him know we sent you.

VEX TUNING
Bay 10 7875-48th Avenue
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada T4P 2K1
(403) 352-8839
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by frankie945
The weather is always messing up my tune. Here in the Ohio Valley the weather changes all the time. Last night 58 degrees this afternoon is to be 85 degrees.
Yeah it's the same thing here in Texas. The weather changes every 15 minutes. But it keeps us on our toes when it comes to tuning.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by UpRev
Don't know that company. I was refering to VEX Tuning in Red Deer. Talk to Franklin and let him know we sent you.

VEX TUNING
Bay 10 7875-48th Avenue
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada T4P 2K1
(403) 352-8839

Well I talked to Franlin and I don't know what to say. He tells me that they just did a G35 tune @ 9psi (mustang dyno). It made 315whp. WTF? How can you only make 315whp on 9psi? He did not say 350 as I asked him several times because I couldn't believe it.

Either way, they tell me that they are capable of tuning my Z and that the Uprev system will set me back $750 + tax + install. He also told me that he can't guarantee reliability over 330whp. I see people runing in the 400whp range on stock internals here, so that's another thing that I'm wondering about with this shop. Are they not confident in their tuning? I would be really happy with 360whp as long as it's a good tune, and I don't have to worry about detonation and bent rods.

Now I'm thinking about scraping this project all together

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 09-17-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 AM
UpRev
Banned

Well I talked to Franlin and I don't know what to say. He tells me that they just did a G35 tune @ 9psi (mustang dyno). It made 315whp. WTF? How can you only make 315whp on 9psi? He did not say 350 as I asked him several times because I couldn't believe it.

Either way, they tell me that they are capable of tuning my Z and that the Uprev system will set me back $750 + tax + install. He also told me that he can't guarantee reliability over 330whp. I see people runing in the 400whp range on stock internals here, so that's another thing that I'm wondering about with this shop. Are they not confident in their tuning? I would be really happy with 360whp as long as it's a good tune, and I don't have to worry about detonation and bent rods.

Now I'm thinking about scraping this project all together

This is why dyno numbers are useless. Dyno's are a tool and the graph is god. Mustang Dyno's do not share the numbers with Dyna Pack or DynoJet or etc etc. Generally you can convert to more industry standard DynoJet numbers, but thats also not always perfect. 315 on a Mustang is actually fairly decent, the guys at MZM have one and they do big Subie builds, rarely do they have a built STI that spins the rollers higher than 350, where as those same cars dyno across town at ProTech on their AWD DynoJet at well over 500.

Franklin is pretty conservative on his tunes. There may be dozens of people at 400whp on a stock block, but are they getting 50,000 miles or are they getting 5,000 miles on that set up? We generally side with safe than sorry, though there are customers that ask us to push for higher numbers. I'm pretty sure he'll get you going and make sure you're satisfied, we rarely hear anything but praise from customers. Also alot of the tunes they've done there have been using MAP calibrations, which like I said can be very dangerous when running huge climate changes. MAF systems are safer in that situation so you might get a bit more aggressive tune than someone running a MAP system.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
BoostedProbe

^^^ I do like the idea of a "safe tune" but at the same time don't want to be 1.5 hours away from the only place that can fix it if there is a problem.

Anybody using E-manage ultimate? It can be bought for about $900 with a 350z wiring harness and all. I know that every shop is familiar with that interface and is comfortable using it.

EDIT:

Well, I just read the whole UTEC manual that comes on the CD. I think with some more carefull rereading I can do the tuning myself. It's all very well explained, and seems to be straight forward. Not to mention that I can go and download Turbonetics base maps and go on from there with minor adjustments.

Thanks for all the help, it looks like I'm keeping this UTEC and learning how to tune it. If I can do it any tuner should be able to figure this out. I should mention that I have tuned before, it was my Ford Probe that had a Megsquirt system installed. It controlled fuel and ignition.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 09-17-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
JuJube

Hey Man,

I have the greddy Twin kit on a stock bottom end making 395HP. And all I can say is that the Haltech has been an absolute blessing when it comes to tuning.

Which ever way you go, I'd be more than willing to help you tune the car in my spare time.

Have a great day.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:46 PM
UpRev
Banned

^^^ I do like the idea of a "safe tune" but at the same time don't want to be 1.5 hours away from the only place that can fix it if there is a problem.

Anybody using E-manage ultimate? It can be bought for about $900 with a 350z wiring harness and all. I know that every shop is familiar with that interface and is comfortable using it.

EDIT:

Well, I just read the whole UTEC manual that comes on the CD. I think with some more carefull rereading I can do the tuning myself. It's all very well explained, and seems to be straight forward. Not to mention that I can go and download Turbonetics base maps and go on from there with minor adjustments.

Thanks for all the help, it looks like I'm keeping this UTEC and learning how to tune it. If I can do it any tuner should be able to figure this out. I should mention that I have tuned before, it was my Ford Probe that had a Megsquirt system installed. It controlled fuel and ignition.

Cool well if you're already comfortable, then the Osiris Tuner should be up on our site tonight or tomorrow morning (depending on the DNS updating) and thats $900. Just another option.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:34 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by JuJube
Hey Man,

I have the greddy Twin kit on a stock bottom end making 395HP. And all I can say is that the Haltech has been an absolute blessing when it comes to tuning.

Which ever way you go, I'd be more than willing to help you tune the car in my spare time.

Have a great day.
Rally apreciate the offer, and I might just take advantage of it next spring. I'm still enjoying the car in it's stock form as the weather is just awesome for this time of the year. I will probably start work in about a month. The plan is in place though, and the GT35r is going in a place where nobody has put a turbo before (on a 350z at least). I'll post pics when fabrication begins.

As for UpRev, I will see how my UTEC pans out. If I was to sell it and go with Siris I'd be out about $250 and that's a nice Tial wastegate.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JuJube
Hey Man,

Have a great day.
Glad to hear it is working so well for you, and that you would take interest in helping someone else out.

I want to clear something up. Haltech can tune based on MAF (factory or other), MAP or TPS. Most prefer MAP tuning for boost applications, and it comes with a built in map sensor up to 22psi or can accept an external MAP for more boost.

Also, Haltech comes equip with air temperature compensations for both fuel and timing, as well as coolant temp compensations. So for them to suggest their system is superior for changing temperature is invalid.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 AM
BoostedProbe

^^Don't get me wrong, if I had the cash I'd get Haltech NOW. I'll see if I can sell some supercharger kits this winter (that's what I do in my spare time, make superchargr kits) and maybe I will convert some time next year.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what can you do for me with my turbonetics kit on my z, i am in ny, i know you are looking for places but nothing yet huh?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Darkknight916

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the guy that was asking about the Greddy, emanage Ultimate, what about the base E-manage? what can i gain from using that VS. the haltech?

also, anyone know what APS is running in their Twin setup for engine management?