Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

haltech cuts out the engine under WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg1981
I'm having the exact same problem, with a totally different setup! I have not been able to find the solution, but I have a suggestion from Technosquare that seems plausible and the symptoms match exactly.

FYI, I'm running the Pro-EFI 48 PIN and Technosquare reflash to raise the rev limit. I have an SGP built longblock and Greddy TT. The problem did not start until I did the reflash, so we keep thinking it is related. I had them redo the reflash and only adjust the rev limit (originally they did other stuff). It is still doing the same thing. I have had Jason from Pro-EFI look at the car, as well as Tony from UMS. Neither of them find anything wrong with my programming on the Pro-EFI. Tadashi at Technosquare says it is a common problem when the MAF gives a voltage reading over 4.75. He said there are a few different devices that will limit/control the voltage reading going from the MAF to the stock ECU. The one he mentioned is the HKS FCD (Fuel Cut Defensor), but I can't find anywhere to get it and UMS couldn't find one to get me either.

Anyone else have any feedback or advise on this? I am dying to get this resolved.
stock MAF housing?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:50 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
stock MAF housing?
I believe so. Should this have been changed? I don't know much about this aspect of my build. I will double check to see what is on it currently.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by rcdash
Be careful w/ removal of the MAF on a 5AT. I've read that the MAF is used to generate "calculated load" and absence of that signal may mess up the % load signal sent from the stock ECU to the TCM. It's one of those 5AT specific quirks that make running without the stock ECU problematic (until someone finally cracks the TCM programming).

I don't know exactly what is going on here, but you could ask the UpRev folks for some help. I've had no trouble with the Haltech on my 2004.5 5at G35 and I've flashed the stock ECU many times (via Osiris).
Thanks. I will keep the MAF and look into the reflash possibly being the source or maybe a problem with my MAF or the housing. I will call Uprev. Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

definitely an odd issue - has it always done this, or only since raising the boost?

Do you know where on your table the MAP sensor takes over for the stock MAF? If the ecu doesn't have a clamp point for the MAF, what Hal suggested (lowering the point of where the MAP sensor takes over things) may be worth trying. Beyond that, its a process of elimination. Any stored codes? Does the datalog from the Proefi match the playback or peak hold on your boost gauge?

Something else that comes to mind - as part of the reflash, did TS also reprogram the throttle body? Or was it strictly upping the rev limiter

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-10-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
definitely an odd issue - has it always done this, or only since raising the boost?

Do you know where on your table the MAP sensor takes over for the stock MAF? If the ecu doesn't have a clamp point for the MAF, what Hal suggested (lowering the point of where the MAP sensor takes over things) may be worth trying. Beyond that, its a process of elimination. Any stored codes? Does the datalog from the Proefi match the playback or peak hold on your boost gauge?

Something else that comes to mind - as part of the reflash, did TS also reprogram the throttle body? Or was it strictly upping the rev limiter
It actually started when I did the TS reflash. The boost was at 22 PSI before the reflash. I got a new torque converter from SGP, since the original one was too loose. Those are the only 2 things that were changed. The boost is set to 12 PSI right now, so it shouldn't be boost related IMO.

I believe the MAP is always used for the Pro-EFI, but the MAF is used for intake temp and for the load % for the auto trans.

I originally had TS do a limited spec reflash, which DOES include adjustments to the throttle body. I sent it back and asked them to remove that and just set it to stock, but with 8000RPM rev limit. I am not even sure why it needs to be increased on the stock ECU. Jason increased the rev limit on the Pro-EFI, but it was still cutting fuel at 6500RPM. Anyway, I just received another ECU from Technosquare, which I will test tomorrow (just drove back from Disneyland; 8 hours with 3 kids and wife; ready for bed!).

I am also going to try swapping out the MAF adapter sensor (?). Hal is looking into a few things for me as well. FYI, I am the only 5AT boosted VQ using the Pro-EFI. The other Pro-EFI cars don't run a MAF.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It actually started when I did the TS reflash. The boost was at 22 PSI before the reflash. I got a new torque converter from SGP, since the original one was too loose. Those are the only 2 things that were changed. The boost is set to 12 PSI right now, so it shouldn't be boost related IMO.

I believe the MAP is always used for the Pro-EFI, but the MAF is used for intake temp and for the load % for the auto trans.

I originally had TS do a limited spec reflash, which DOES include adjustments to the throttle body. I sent it back and asked them to remove that and just set it to stock, but with 8000RPM rev limit. I am not even sure why it needs to be increased on the stock ECU. Jason increased the rev limit on the Pro-EFI, but it was still cutting fuel at 6500RPM. Anyway, I just received another ECU from Technosquare, which I will test tomorrow (just drove back from Disneyland; 8 hours with 3 kids and wife; ready for bed!).

I am also going to try swapping out the MAF adapter sensor (?). Hal is looking into a few things for me as well. FYI, I am the only 5AT boosted VQ using the Pro-EFI. The other Pro-EFI cars don't run a MAF.
You have the MAF sensor ordered right? We just got them in, Fedex was closed ? when we went to drop off last night, but you should get a tracking number today on it.

If you are getting our MAF, you'll need TS to change the MAF curve, or use our software that has the new MAF curve in it already.

What shop are you taking it to for tuning right now?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by UpRev
You have the MAF sensor ordered right? We just got them in, Fedex was closed ? when we went to drop off last night, but you should get a tracking number today on it.

If you are getting our MAF, you'll need TS to change the MAF curve, or use our software that has the new MAF curve in it already.

What shop are you taking it to for tuning right now?
I didn't order a sensor, that must be someone else. I may need to though. If I can't get it working with the TS reflash, I will be contacting you for a reflash.

I am working with Tony at UMS Tuning right now, since he is a Pro-EFI tuner. Jason worked on this a lot and said it is not the Pro-EFI system, so Tony is now working on it from each end.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't order a sensor, that must be someone else. I may need to though. If I can't get it working with the TS reflash, I will be contacting you for a reflash.

I am working with Tony at UMS Tuning right now, since he is a Pro-EFI tuner. Jason worked on this a lot and said it is not the Pro-EFI system, so Tony is now working on it from each end.
Ah ok. Well I have the MAF's in stock, and you can pickup Osiris Tuner for them to adjust the stock ECU completely, top to bottom. That way you don't have to ship the ECU back and forth to TS.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:39 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by UpRev
Ah ok. Well I have the MAF's in stock, and you can pickup Osiris Tuner for them to adjust the stock ECU completely, top to bottom. That way you don't have to ship the ECU back and forth to TS.
I just ordered an HKS FCD from Injected and will try that next week. If it does not resolve my issues, then I will be looking at the stock ECU and the Pro-EFI. I am about 95% certain that the voltage is the problem. I did some testing with UMS Tuning today and our findings point to this again. I may need a new MAF, and if I do, I'll let you know.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:07 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by doomsdaydonkey
Am not sure what a maf is. Since this problem is not consistent am gettin a new tune from a good shop. Will update, thank u 4 the interest.
Any updates for you? I'm taking the route of the HKS FCD. The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor. It is probably on your driver's side on the intake pipe and has wires hooked to it.

Is your car an automatic or manual transmission?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

mrg1981, I had a chance to play with maf limit on the dyno. On a 6spd car, I let it peg out and no problems were observed.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:13 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

All the JWT kits would have trouble if the MAF was an issue. They all peg to max around 7 psi. I have a 5AT - no issue maxing it out. Does TS know you have a 5AT? If they changed any of the maps, the calculated load may be screwy. If you have Cipher, you can log it or have someone display a gauge on their laptop while you drive. I would try going back to stock ECU programming if the values aren't reading correctly (calculated load should go to 100 when you press on the accelerator).

Last edited by rcdash; 12-15-2008 at 06:40 AM.