Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Wastegate Flutter with HKS EVC 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
LanceKA-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate Flutter with HKS EVC 6

I have recently purchased a slightly used HKS EVC 6. No instructions were provided, but I was able to correctly install it.

Setup:
GT32
KA24DE
JGS 40mm External Wastegate (open dump)

I have reset the unit and gone through the setup procedure listed on HKS’ website. Set it up for my car and the base wastegate spring pressure (7.6psi).

Now the problem; I am able to adjust target boost settings and offset just fine in order to reach the desired boost pressure. As boost climbs and the target boost is reached, the stepper motor sends the signal to the wastegate you can hear the wastegate start to flutter. It is able to hold that pressure, but I feel that the fluctuation in back pressure with the wastegate opening and closing rapidly is not the best scenario.

I have pressure tested the system and there are no leaks
Tried resetting and setting up the boost controller a few times with no luck
If the controller is turned off base boost pressure is reached without any wastegate flutter
The warning feature is set above my desired boost

If someone with experience with this type of controller can tell me if the are any other features I can adjust in order to fix this?

Without the instructions I am lost on a lot of the menus.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not be able to do anything about it. I am not familiar with that specific controller but wastegates are mechanical devices and the controller is bleeding off the excess gas to keep the snail from spinning up too fast and over boosting. Good controller will aim at closing the wastegate fast to max out the approach at target boost as fast as possible. As you approach the target boost, the controller should start to open the gate slightly to slow down the approach to minimize the overshot when you hit your target. Ideally, you should overshoot your target slightly and then come down gently to your target rate. The flutter you're hearing is the fluctuations in the position of the flapper when you're approaching the target or when you're already at your target boost. The controller often oscillates to continuously adjust the duty cycles to keep the boost on target. A little too much, open the wastegate, now it's too low, close it a little, oops, too high again, open the gate, etc, etc. Depending on the frequency and the size of the corrective adjustment, this will produce flutter sounds. I don't think you have to really worry about the performance side of things. When you're at your target boost, you most likely have the wastegate open a bit already so your flow will already have some element of turbulence in it. Slight flutter will probably not make much of a difference. I hope I was of some help here.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 03-01-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 AM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird... maybe the stepper motor needle is sticking or something, causing the flutter..? Its been a while since I messed with mine, havent touched it since I got it working... You set your wastegate type to external right? I have the EVC6 manual somewhere.... if you are still having problems shoot me a PM and il try and find it.

What boost are you trying to reach?

Last edited by jining; 03-03-2009 at 12:12 AM.