Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Is 7200RPM Safe on 5AT VQ35DE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beddow
I only asked 2 questions in my post, I did not think I was asking alot. The things I asked were not really covered here, more about rev range.

I get it I have an auto to, but don't sell yourself short, let the auto (D) save you hassle and gas. Then slide the the shift lever over and have fun, then slide it back. It just sounds like you are a little embarrassed in having an auto.

So have you figued out my second question? Does the AFR show in ratio or volts on the logger?
Save gas with D? I get better gas mileage when I shift myself, because in D the car shifts too late. And really? Embarrassed about owning a 5AT? Funny how it's the first thing in my sig on this forum and everywhere else. Everyone at the meets even knows I have an auto. Believe me, friend, I'm not embarrassed.

And I never said you were asking for a lot. In fact, I said the very opposite.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
The only reason to bump the rev limiter to 7200 RPM on the non revups would be to avoid bumping off the stock rev limiter.

Like others have said, on stock cams/block, you are not doing yourself any good in revving a non-revup up to 7200 RPM. The Revup has some modifications to help it produce better power up top.

Point being, shift at the stock redline (6700rpm for non revups, 7100 RPMS for revups).

It's all about averaging the best HP under the curve (for those math majors out there, think of Riemann sums).
This is true. But just to be clear, I didn't raise it to 7200, I was only asking. I had it raised to 6900RPM in the end.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Save gas with D? I get better gas mileage when I shift myself, because in D the car shifts too late. And really? Embarrassed about owning a 5AT? Funny how it's the first thing in my sig on this forum and everywhere else. Everyone at the meets even knows I have an auto. Believe me, friend, I'm not embarrassed.

And I never said you were asking for a lot. In fact, I said the very opposite.
I never said you were embarrassed, I said you seemed so. You seemed to imply you wanted a manual since to only use manual mode.

You save more gas in manual mode, really, I highly doubt that but there really is to much room for error when tracking MPG.

You seem to take things out of context, when I said I only asked two questions. I thought your reply was kinda ignorant, and funny that you could not answer either when it is all at your disposal. I think this is just your place to come and brag about the things you have done to your car, but don't desire to help anyone directly. Thats fine all kinds are here, but seriously you still have not answered either of my questions and you are on your third reply.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
SniperHunter

I won't answer your question because you came off like an *** in your reply to me, where you immediately assumed I didn't want to help you/or that I was of no help because I couldn't tell you if Osiris measures a parameter by voltage or AFR. And that's because my Osiris is installed on my laptop, which I did not have on me, because I left it in the office. After I replied to you, I forgot all about the thread, so a simple PM or a reminder asking me if I had an answer would've been nice.

So after your smarmy reply, I didn't even bother bringing my laptop back or check my logs to help you. And good one on calling me unhelpful...I'm one of the very few who still helps out newbs with questions everyone is quick to call dumb. I and another member have a giant thread ongoing in the maintenance section about a rattle where many of us tried numerous fixes at our own monetary expense, and btw which we have just fixed today. My contributions aren't just for posing and showing off. I have made and posted videos, helped people with their Borla problems, showed the locals what to do with their JWT heat-shields and how to prevent them from soaking heat...I could go on.

Nowhere in my first response to you did I come off like an assh*le. So when you posted this:
Hey I was looking for insight from a 5at Osiris tuned owner, and you provided no help whats so ever.
That just made me realize you were coming off like a baby for no reason, and from that moment I didn't want to help you, at all. I never said I wasn't going to help you, I just said I didn't have the logs on hand.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 01-19-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 PM
screener
Banned

Seriously, you need to reread post 32,33. My post simply asks a yes or no ?, and for info concerning the software. Buddy if you don't know the answer just say so. Why are you still rambling on to attempt to knock me down? I did get pissy back , but only after your reply was not necessary. If you did not have an answer as you clearly didn't, then what was the reply for, sure was not helpful.

I know none of this makes sence to you, so I will no longer go on about this anymore. I will just end with I am sorry, I am sorry you did not have the answers to my questions, but instead answered me back with some meaningless remarks.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
drivessidewayz

I don't see why you're getting on Arnold for telling you he would acquire the information for you when he could. This is so ridiculous I'm tempted to think this guy's just trolling I've not yet seen someone complain about someone actually trying to help them.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 AM
SniperHunter

Seriously, the guy's a complete tool. I never got smarmy with him once, and he cops this bitchy little attitude like a 5 year old girl who didn't get the Barbie she wanted at Toys R Us. Someone needs to loosen his panties.

And he wonders why I'm trying to knock him down? Is it me, or wasn't it this idiot who just called me a show-off who doesn't help anyone? I'll be damned if I take that sitting down without proving him otherwise.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 AM
screener
Banned

Dude thank you for showing your true pu**y colors. To the person wanting to lick your p#ssy, I'm a troll check the dates sir, I am now on my second 350z.

Arnold you need to fu#kin drop this as drasticly as you just acted, sir

Seriously, the guy's a complete tool. I never got smarmy with him once, and he cops this bitchy little attitude like a 5 year old girl who didn't get the Barbie she wanted at Toys R Us. Someone needs to loosen his panties.

And he wonders why I'm trying to knock him down? Is it me, or wasn't it this idiot who just called me a show-off who doesn't help anyone? I'll be damned if I take that sitting down without proving him otherwise.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:19 AM
SniperHunter

That's nice, big guy.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
screener
Banned

That's nice, big guy.
I apologize, it was not meant to sound nice.Truely have a nice day Arnold
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
oh boy

rcdash is 100% right - on a non revup, spinning the engine to 7200 is useless from a power standpoint - the car does not make power that high, and physically is unable to given the stock cams/manifold. 6200-6500 is the practical limit on a non revup

A revup will be able to rev a bit higher, and does a better job actually making power up top vs a non revup, but it's still nothing remarkable. Truly making power up top involves building the engine
stock power on stock cam timing makes power to 6200 then starts dropping off. increasing the cam timing will make power to 6800. We actually did one yesterday on a 5at 2005 g35 4 door. then again he did have the kinitex manifold replacement. probaly why it made more power up top. ill post up a dyno sheet
Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

But the horsepower doesn't drop off anything like that. It'll keep the car moving forward quite well.
Sorry just noticed this reply. Looking at the horsepower curve can be somewhat misleading in anticipating a car's ability to accelerate at a given point along the curve. Torque is a more direct measure. Of course torque levels at various rpms becomes important as we try to match up gearing and horsepower becomes a useful metric of work being performed by the engine.

To take an extreme example, a car making 500 whp all the way to it's 20,000 rpm redline is, at redline, generating less torque as a Nissan Sentra getting into its own powerband! If gearing were identical in the two cars at that point in time, which car do you think would be accelerating more quickly?

This is of course a fictitious example that ignores real world gearing, etc. What you feel is acceleration and acceleration decreases even if horsepower is maintained. In some cases, delaying the shift and continuing up the rpm curve makes sense (to a finite point), but only because of the torque multiplication benefits from *gearing*. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by rcdash; 02-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 AM
lanceccs

Quick question, I've got my car second hand and its a non rev up 03 NA. I think I am revving it to 7k+ rpm sometimes but I cannot confirm. If that is the case, the previous owner must have refreshed the ECU and up'ed the rev limit?

Is there anyway for me to rev the engine all the way until it cuts *SAFETY* so I could determine whats the current rev limit??
Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lanceccs
Quick question, I've got my car second hand and its a non rev up 03 NA. I think I am revving it to 7k+ rpm sometimes but I cannot confirm. If that is the case, the previous owner must have refreshed the ECU and up'ed the rev limit?

Is there anyway for me to rev the engine all the way until it cuts *SAFETY* so I could determine whats the current rev limit??
Yea, put it in neutral and press on the gas until it reaches the rev-limiter.