Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Question, 03 VQ35DE EMS No-Drive-By-Wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 AM
MREDDLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question, 03 VQ35DE EMS No-Drive-By-Wire

I have an 03 VQ35DE and tranny for an engine swap. I need help with the EMS and the Drive-By-Wire sys. I would like to be able to do the tune myself. Im not a fan of the Drive-By-Wire Sys. So are there any EMS Systems that can control the cams on the VQ with the factory sensors and without the Drive-By-Wire System. Or, should I just keep the Drive-By-Wire, the factory harness and factory ECU. If I go this way then I will have it re-wired and re-flashed to get rid of all the BS. So I need help trying to figure out a good direction to go so that I dont buy anything I dont need. O, and motor is just a long block so, I will have to buy everything. I hope some of you 350z pros can help me out.

Last edited by MREDDLE; 04-08-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The Haltech 350Z EMS is a fully programmable standalone that will drive the fuel, ignition, and cam timing all perfectly with or without the drive-by-wire system. It sounds like you are swapping this into something, and the Haltech is perfectly happy to run without the stock computer and drive-by-wire throttle system. You can use it as a plug&play with the stock harness (and adding a few wires if you are not using the factory computer and power distribution), or custom wire your own engine harness. The Haltech also clears you of any key-mismatch immobilizer problems that you would have with the stock ecu as well.

http://www.350zmod.com/Haltech-PnP-P...%20vq35pnp.htm
Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
MREDDLE

^^This sounds great. $$Tho this is almost half the cost of my motor build$$ LOL But if cost is my consurn then I guess I shold take up kniiting? Are there anyother option as good as this?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Not for your application... the old phrase "gotta pay to play" applies here. If you are swapping then this is definitely your best option.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:28 AM
MREDDLE

Yes, The motor and tranny are going into an older datsun. This does sound like what I will need. I not worried about the cost its with-in reason. But, anyone that doesnt cheap an eye on the cost either has too much or is stupid. JMO
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 AM
MREDDLE

BTW Thank You for your time and discussion.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MREDDLE
Yes, The motor and tranny are going into an older datsun. This does sound like what I will need.
I am not sure how good you are with wiring, but you may consider making your own engine harness to really clean things up and eliminate all of the factory wiring. I can provide wiring help with the unit if you decide to go this route.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
MREDDLE

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
I am not sure how good you are with wiring, but you may consider making your own engine harness to really clean things up and eliminate all of the factory wiring. I can provide wiring help with the unit if you decide to go this route.
The plan is to usse the factory harness but, only have what I need to properly run and tune the VQ. I am very good a wiring, but I've never looked at a VQ's ECU or wiring, I may need a hand. Does the haltech come wwitha base tune? Thank You.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

The plan is to usse the factory harness but, only have what I need to properly run and tune the VQ. I am very good a wiring, but I've never looked at a VQ's ECU or wiring, I may need a hand. Does the haltech come wwitha base tune? Thank You.
The unit comes with a generic map, or, if purchased from us I will include a tune tailored to your setup. Dyno tuning is still suggested/required, but in most cases it is close enough to get the car started/driving.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vi-PEC V-88 will control the e-throttle for sure and I think the Autronic SM-4 also controls the drive by wire throttle. However niether are any cheaper than Haltech and if Hal would give you a base map for the Haltech that would be a good way to go. IMO
Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
UpRevDev
Banned

It is possible to disable the stock throttle control, and replace it with a linear throttle response using an Osiris reflash. However, cruise control will not work while this feature is enabled, since it relies on the same electronic throttle control.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
MREDDLE

OK Hal I broke done and bought the Haltech. My motor is not ready as of now but I am getting the ball rolling on the computer stuff. What wiring do I have to do inorder to elemnate the DBW throttle, MAF and stock ECU? Also I know you said that it comes preloaded with a table But, is there anyway you came send me a Base map so I can start getting familiar with it?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ That will not be difficult.

DBW Delete - requires running new TPS wires into the existing dbw connector.
MAF Delete - requires adding an air temp sensor, LINK
OEM ECU Delete - No problem. You will need switched power and ground wires assuming you are not using the stock ipdm either.

As for a base map to get familiar with - there is one included when you install the software on your computer. www.injectedperformance.com/haltech

Email me for specific wiring assistance when you are ready,
Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 PM
MREDDLE

I downloaded the ECU Manager 1.06 and have the base map. Now on the maf delete, I dont see were the Air Temp sensor would plug into the stock harness or the Haltech harness. On the TPS do you know what Omh range the TPS should be, does it matter? I am not understanding were I tie in the switched power and ground wires. The only equipment I want to use is a modified stock enegine harness and the Haltech. I will not be taking the stock harness apart for a while, so I have time to figure this out.
Thank You Hal for your support.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

^

Air temp is run through the stock MAF wiring. Check out the FSM for your specific vehicle to find the wire location/color at the MAF connector.

TPS operates on 0-5v, same as OEM DBW TPS sensor. This will need to be recalibrated to your new TPS, but that is not difficult in the software.

Are you using the stock power distribution? If not, you will need to wire some things like a standalone - such as injector power, which is not delivered by the oem computer or haltech.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:43 PM
MREDDLE

^

Air temp is run through the stock MAF wiring. Check out the FSM for your specific vehicle to find the wire location/color at the MAF connector.
I will thank you.
TPS operates on 0-5v, same as OEM DBW TPS sensor. This will need to be recalibrated to your new TPS, but that is not difficult in the software.
I have this, and read about it in the manual, looks easy,Thank You.
Are you using the stock power distribution? If not, you will need to wire some things like a standalone - such as injector power, which is not delivered by the oem computer or haltech.
I just bought a engine harness with ECU from a 2003 350z. I still have to go through it to make sure I have everything. I want to have everything simple, I dont like the rats nest of wires. When you say 'power distribution' do you mean the harness that connects to the battery and starter stuff?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
MREDDLE

The unit comes with a generic map, or, if purchased from us I will include a tune tailored to your setup. Dyno tuning is still suggested/required, but in most cases it is close enough to get the car started/driving.
Hay Hal,
Does Haltech have/sell a universal harness that I could use instead of the 350z/haltech harness. Is there a link? I couldn't find one this weekend.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hay Hal,
Does Haltech have/sell a universal harness that I could use instead of the 350z/haltech harness. Is there a link? I couldn't find one this weekend.
Short answer, no. PM sent.