Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

More uprev questions.. license and reflash

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default More uprev questions.. license and reflash

so I've searched, but still not clear.

So my car needs the idle bumped, drop the speed limiter, TB mod, etc (ie no real tuning though). The shop I go to is an Uprev Protuner.

I assume I just need to buy a reflash license thru the shop and have them do the idle bumped, drop the speed limiter, TB mod, etc with their cipher cable.

How does the licensing work? Am I buying the license from Uprev or the shop; ie does the shop have like 200 licenses, or does each one have to go back thru Uprev?

So say the 1st time they bump my idle its not enough. Do I have to pay 50$ for them to try again?

What about the map switching. I use a haltech but would like a second map for valet since I am paying for that with the reflash.

That wouldnt even work though since the car is not using the stock ECU to run the car..

If thats the case, why is the price soo high if nothing can be changed except DBW related flashing?

Seems like Uprev can cripple whatever they want, so why not just offer the DBW mods as a separate package for like 100$? The rest of the options from the standard reflash are useless with a standalone.. Or am I missing something that justifies the high cost.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The license is ~$300.00 and includes the full capabilities of uprev -- it pays to allow your ECU to be flashed. Most/all of this cost is passed on to Uprev, and it's a one-time fee regardless of how many reflashes your tuner actually does on your ECU. For example, I've flashed mine about 50 times over the course of the past year but never had to re license anything.

For actual tuning, setting up multiple maps, touch ups, ect, that pricing is between you and your tuner to work out.

Last edited by djamps; 03-10-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM
str8dum1

but the 300$ flash will not let me change my own idle params even if i buy a cipher cable after the shop does the initial flash?

ie, I thought that the license is held in the cable, but say in a few months i want to adjust my idle and buy a cipher. That wont work right? I have to go back to the shop and use the cipher they used to reflash to make any adjustments?

Also the $300 just has map switching abilities, but the maps are sent empty from UPrev and rely on the tuner to make them?

Last edited by str8dum1; 03-10-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by str8dum1
but the 300$ flash will not let me change my own idle params even if i buy a cipher cable after the shop does the initial flash?

ie, I thought that the license is held in the cable, but say in a few months i want to adjust my idle and buy a cipher. That wont work right? I have to go back to the shop and use the cipher they used to reflash to make any adjustments?

Also the $300 just has map switching abilities, but the maps are sent empty from UPrev and rely on the tuner to make them?
The actual tuning license is held on the tuner's cable. If you buy your own cable you will only be able to use cipher for logging unless you buy your own $700 tuner license which lets you use ROM editor to modify the ROM which is where the features you want are.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The $300.00 is just for the license like DJamps said. We offer 3 free E tunes and Map switching when the license is purchased through us. For you to load you own ROMS you would need a minimum of an Osiris Standard which is $500.00 but that will give you a cipher cable and logging capabilities.

We also offer a reflash service for 300.00 which involves us flashing a license on to your ECU as well as multiple maps, but requires you to send us the ECU when you are not local.

I wonder if i could do a valet map for you using the throttle table as they are controlled buy the ECU still not the Haltech....

PM me if you are interested...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 PM
350sx23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does $500+ osiris standard include one license, so i could tinker on my own, then if i felt like i wanted to get a dyno tune, i could take it to the tuner and just pay his tuning fee. No license or cable fee etc. correct.

or vice versa, have him tune initially, then say i want to make changes after i can do it from my own w/ my cable etc..
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 PM
djamps

Pretty sure you can still do a valet map with a speed limiter at least... the stock ECU still controls the TB, but I'm fairly certain the haltech has full fuel/spark control so the rev limit might not be adjustable.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 PM
MardiGrasMax

Rev limit the valet more to 4500 rp, or so.

Alright, how about this scenario... Vince, if I let you do the $300 e-tune for say some transmission parameters, rev limiter etc, that I want, and in a year I decide to go with the full Tuner version. Will the full tuner just cost me $400 becasue I already paid for the license? Can we transfer the license tfrom your cable to my cable?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ Yes sir, it would only cost you $400 to upgrade to Tuner. We actually do this a lot for guys that upgrade. So upgrade to Osiris standard cost you $200 and upgrade to Osiris Tuner cost you $400. The license is actually on your ECU, so when I send you the new cable for a tuner version it would be enabled for Osiris Standard/Cipher/and ROM Editor. At that point if you wanted o flash it back to stock I can send you that ROM and then it would just put the License on to your cable and you would have a full Tuner set up on that cable that you could sell.

Hope this answered your question...I think..lol
Old 03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
str8dum1

Originally Posted by djamps
The actual tuning license is held on the tuner's cable. If you buy your own cable you will only be able to use cipher for logging unless you buy your own $700 tuner license which lets you use ROM editor to modify the ROM which is where the features you want are.
Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
The license is actually on your ECU, so when I send you the new cable for a tuner version it would be enabled for Osiris Standard/Cipher/and ROM Editor.

So which one is it? Vince's answer seems likely, but Dj's answer makes UPrev more money
Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
djamps

I guess Vince is right...I didn't know you could trade up to the tuner license..
Old 03-11-2011, 06:30 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hal@dynosty is doing this for me tomorrow, and quoted me $300 for the license... Too bad the haltech can't do the same.. I'm not feeling the uprev but hey Watever!

As for the license, me and a friend jus discussed this last night. The license is on the ecu... Some how i don't think u can use the same one on multiple ecu's or uprev would be beat....

Any one with more info chime in... I'm interested in clarification!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 PM
gerrychuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy Standard or Tuner and therefore get the cable, the license comes on the cable and transfers to your ecu when you do the reflash. At that point it's on your ecu and if you sold the cable it would not be usable for someone else (actually, it would be usable for Cipher, but not for Osiris). If you want to de-install Osiris and sell your cable and licence, you can do a return to stock procedure that puts your ecu back to stock and the license back on the cable.

If a shop does a one-time reflash or tune, they just install the license directly on your ecu, since you don't have the cable.

I think I have all that right
Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Let me see if I can clarify. If you think of the license as a seperate item it kind of helps. The License is 300$ and can only be married to one ECU at a time. Now a chiper cable is 200$ and that is for the Cable itself and the cable is cipher enabled only and with that you can only data log.

Now if you get Osiris standard, that is 1 license and 1 cipher cable. The license is put on the cable and the cable is enabled with cipher and Osiris stanard. That cost 500$ total(300$License + 200$ cipher cable) This is the minimum package u need to be able to Flash ROM's onto your ECU. However this does not allow you to tune your own Maps.

Last is the UPREV Tuner Version this comes with the above osiris standard but the cable is Enabled with ROM editor. The Pricing on Tuner version is 700.00(300$ for license, 200 for Cable, and the 200$ for Rom editor enabling on the cable. So the cable is Osiris enabled, chiper enabled and Romeditor enabled. This is the only package avaivialde for end user tuning.

Now, when you flash an ECU with one of the above packages. The cable installs the license on the the ECU and the ECU # ...Uprev flashed ECU. The cable is married to the ECU from the standpoint of flashing ROM's but the cipher side of the cable can still datalog on other vehicles.

If you would like to return your vehcile to stock you need a special Back to Stock ROM file, you flash that on to the ECU and the License is placed back onto the cable, and the the cable can be sold to another user.

All of the cable programming is done through the program "Cable Manager", and is upgraded using that program and cable reports in conjuction with US (protuner) or UPREV.

I hope that helps, and by doing it this way allows you to upgrade down the road and give the customers more options.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 AM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chiper can bump your idle and clear codes and of course data logging.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ yes sir...on most ECU's. That option isnt available on all ECU's. Also its on flashed onto RAM memory so when you disconnect the battery for an extended period of time it will lose that setting...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey guys, ill put this here cause I answered like 5 Pm's on uprev tuning options this weekend...

All Pm's replied!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM
str8dum1

So let me see if I understand.

Pay a protuner shop $300. Puts license on my ECU and they can change my idle and DBW features as much as they want.

Down the road, if I was to buy a 200$ cipher cable, that ECU license could be transferred from the shops cable to mine so I can infinitely adjust

* Up to 5 Maps on cruise control equipped vehicles
* Idle RPM
* Speed Limiter
* Electronic Throttle Control to achieve Wide Open Throttle at all speeds.
* Rev Limiter
* DTC disable
* AFR Targets
* Fuel Compensation
* Ignition Timing Advance
* Cam Phasing for equipped vehicles.

I want to be 100% clear I can adjust all those params listed about WITHOUT the rom editor.

I just could not adjust fuel/timing without spending another $200 on the ROM Editor.

But, if you cant adjust fuel/timing, how would you even utilize the 5 different maps? Or is that just a FWIW statement to let ppl know you can have as many as 5 maps if you pay $700?

Last edited by str8dum1; 03-14-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ other then the Tuner Version only a Pro tuner can adjust those things listed above. The cipher can adjust idle (up to +200rpms) and add two degrees of timing. If you pay a pro tuner 300$ thats for the license, they are a pro tuner so they have ROM editor on their cable, so if you wanted to pay for dyno time they could tune your vehicle for the cost of the license + dyno time.

For example, our winter Promo was 525.00 tuned + tax out the door for N/A applications. I raise the idle, tune the fuel and ignition maps, dial in cam advance etc etc, and set up map switching to their liking( stock, 93 octane, valet, antitheft, and etc. Once they are done, they are done, they can not datalog or load there own maps cause they dont have a cable. If he was to purchase The Osiris standard tuning package with tune, it would be 725$ tuned + tax out the door. The advantage in that is if he was to call me and say "hey vince raise my rev limiter to XXXX" i could send him a modified ROM and he wouldn't have to come here to get that done.

The only way someone( other then a Protuner or UPREV themselves) can adjust fuel and ignition maps is to buy the Tuner Version. I think they list those parameters adjustable under Osiris standard is cause when UPREV sells the Osiris Standard to customers that have E tuning Done, that lets them know what is adjustable, not necessary end user adjustable...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 AM
str8dum1

Thanks for the clarification.

So unless one spends $700, there is no end user functionality beyond standard Cipher abilities.

Quick Reply: More uprev questions.. license and reflash