Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Haltech tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure you have already checked this but what are you using for the wideband calibration in the Haltech? And does it show 8:1 AFR on the Haltech dashboard or on an external gauge? AEM UEGO shouldn't even read down to 8:1. Calibration for the UEGO is 0V = 10:1 and 5V = 20:1
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
TheSteve

The O2 correction is currently off and I am reading the AFR straight from the HKS display (no idea what sensor is currently on the car, so I can't really calibrate it to better than +- .5 AFR on the Haltech). I'll have the calibration set correctly for the UEGO, but this current sensor will actually read down into the 8s. Or at least it did before it died.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are a 6MT, the MAF output just keeps the CEL from coming on, that's it.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
TheSteve

Ok, got the UEGO installed and took a quick log of the engine to see what its actually doing. I'm still running AFRs rich off the scale, and any change to that kills the engine. Injector duty cycle is as low as 1.1%, and it still is super rich. I've tried moving that around in both directions, as high as 4% just to see what it would do. As soon as I try to lean it out properly, the engine stumbles and dies immediately. I've adjusted opening times and the injector size to skew the entire table to essentially get me direct control over the actual commanded pulsewidth. What could be causing this? I can send the datalog to anyone who may be able to help here.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 PM
TheSteve

I can sort of get it to idle with the tune Chris gave me; it'll hold idle at 10.5 instead of 8.5 and I can sort of drive the car up and down the street, but I can't get it to idle normally or drive without filling the neighborhood with smoke despite making adjustments. I'll lower the VE, very little will change until I lower it to the point where it just stumbles and quits.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM
TheSteve

I changed over to injection time tuning instead of VE and I was able to bring the AFR to 14.5, so there is definitely some hidden setting somewhere thats throwing off the VE tuning settings. I can't get a stable idle, as soon as it falls below 900rpm it cuts out too quickly to catch it with the throttle.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 PM
rcdash

Just create a row around 500 rpms and bump up the fueling in case rpms dip
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
TheSteve

Still nothing. I cant get this thing to idle at all. It wont even come close; It'll only run smoothly in the mid 9s, and thats only above 1500rpm while belching clouds of fuel out the exhaust. This is beyond frustrating, I've had this car for 3 weeks now and I think I've driven it 100 miles.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 962 Likes on 727 Posts

You hooked up the map sensor right? As in, ran the line into the car and plugged it onto the nipple? Make sure it is not kinked and comes from a good spot.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:16 PM
TheSteve

Yup, MAP line is right on the plenum and the pressure signal closely follows my throttle inputs. There's gotta be something else going on here, I can barely hold it at 2000 rpms when it goes leaner than 9:1. I've been out in the garage all day messing with it, to the point where I actually ran out of gas with less than 50 miles on the tank. That's a lot of trying to get it to idle..

I'm about to set up the Fcon again to see if there's now actually something wrong with the car itself. Although to do this I'd have to rewire the wideband, but I guess I can run without it for a lap around the block just to make sure everything is working.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM
TheSteve

Ok, Ive got a steady idle now at 8.5:1 AFR. It's stable enough for me to make changes and see exactly how the car is reacting. I've lowered the VE cells around my idle by a percent or two at a time, and the car runs a bit rougher but logged AFR is still reading 8.5, and there's still clouds of gas coming out the tail pipes. I can lean it out until the engine dies and it's still 8.5, as low as the UEGO will read. My only guess is that I have a leaky injector, and one of them is not closing off the fuel as it should be. I can see no other reason why commanded pulsewidth is not actually matching what fuel is going into the engine. The only place I can get some results is at very high RPM, and even then it wont readily go past 13:1 without a fight. I've got datalogs of all of this, but what the ECU is sending the injectors just doesn't seem to match what is actually happening. I'll pull the plenum off again and see if I can determine if any of these injectors are leaking.

Knowing my luck, I'll be in need of a new set soon.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

sorry to hear that.

I am experiencing a fuel issue right now too. Car was running way too lean, not going rich under throttle. Dont know if it is my fuel pump or FPR. Who knows.......parked it and will address it later.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:22 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

something is wrong in your settings. If you want you can email me all your parts info and your haltech map and i'll look at it. The VE isn't set properly.

also, in the email let me know if you have the wideband referenced in the haltech. that is the best way to tune it.

also, not sure what uego you have but mine never read below 10:1 so i'm confused how you are ever getting an 8.5:1 reading. I'm thinking it's set for the wrong fuel so it's telling you the wrong number. Using a lambda reading would work better for this purpose.

my guess is the map you have in haltech doesn't match your equipment (injectors, etc). You should have just purchased the dual haltech widebands so you can use it to tune with and it ties right into the haltech easily. You can still use the uego with the haltech as well though.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like the same problem I've had for the last two weeks. I'm starting to think something's wrong with my Haltech or injectors.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
TheSteve

After pulling the plenum off again and doing some leak testing of the injectors, I'm now suspecting a balance issue between injectors. When the ECU gives the injectors their prime pulse, only cyl 1 actually fires a substantial amount of fuel. Whether 1 is sticking open and having a hard time closing or 2-6 are not as responsive as inj 1 during small pulsewidths, there's a problem somewhere. Based off the testing I've done I'm relatively certain that this theory is correct; it seems that the only time the majority of injectors are running well is when there's an overall AFR of 9 or less meaning the majority of the injectors are probably not working right until 1 or 2 of them are pumping way too much fuel. I just bought a set of RC 750cc injectors from a member here, so I guess I'll swap them in to see if the problem disappears. I've tuned enough other engines with oversized injectors to know that something is just wrong here, and I'm beginning to think it isn't necessarily the state of tune of the Haltech or even the F-Con V. Hopefully it's just a failing injector.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM
TheSteve

Also, the newer UEGOs do read from 8.5-18.0 AFR. I've got the documentation here and set the voltage curve in the Haltech accordingly. If the injectors don't solve this issue I'll send you the maps to have a look.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so if you turn off/unplug injector 1, your AFR bounce right back from super rich to stoich?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

You should be able to do individual injector corrections as well.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 PM
rcdash

^ yes, but only plus or minus 100%, so you can double flow. Something definitely sounds wrong with the injectors or injector driver circuitry. Checking injector flow characteristics seems like a good idea. If you want to test in advance, you can try a fuel injection test using Osirus with the injectors spraying into cups. What is the injector impedence with direct measurement at the pins? Are they all the same. Changing out to a known set of injectors sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by rcdash; 06-01-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
TheSteve

I'll check the resistance across the injectors, and I may also try to rig together a quick flow test to try and determine what's happening. I haven't tried the injector trims (not 100% certain which injectors are at fault) nor unplugging them with the engine running. Can you even reach their connectors with the plenum on? Guess I hadn't thought of that if it's even possible. New injectors should be here in a few days

Quick Reply: Haltech tuning help