Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Utilizing/Sharing maps...risky business?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 PM
farvaric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utilizing/Sharing maps...risky business?

Cars are both HR's.

So, I know the answer is typically "YES", and also know that even if you are running the exact same mods down to the provider and version, it can still be risky as location and cars are all different.

The reason for the question is simply because cars have a tempermant and I am curious from hearing from the pros what that leeway is exactly.

In a nutshell, I am looking at an Accessport (yes, they are discontinued and yes we all love Up-rev, but I dont want this thread to go off in that direction).

The individual has a custom tune on it and has the following mod list:

- Injen CAI's
- ART TP's
- Legalis exhaust
- Ypipe
- car tuned by Cobb

I have the following:

- Takeda short rams with heat shields
- CNT high flow cats
- Godspeed exhaust (HKS hi-power and that has an H-pipe setup)

Does an HR Z have enough wiggle room to run a customer tune made for the parts of the original owner and can be applied to my car with my type of mods? For exmple, Cobb made 3 canned tuned based on the types of mods you have, and were generic to the point that it didnt distinguish between CAI or shortram, single or dual exhaust, ect.

So points of itnerests for me:

1. Yay or Nay on the primary question
2. If honestly more info should be gained, what questions should be asked of the original owner...one might be a dyno graph depicting A/F ratios???

Thanks for the assist
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is enough wiggle room in the stock ecu to adjust for those mods.

The main benefit of a NA uprev tune is to adjust the target AFR tables. The stock ecu closed loop has enough correction to hit adjusted targets without much adjustment (if any) to the fuel table

Ie: its fine.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
farvaric

Originally Posted by str8dum1
there is enough wiggle room in the stock ecu to adjust for those mods.

The main benefit of a NA uprev tune is to adjust the target AFR tables. The stock ecu closed loop has enough correction to hit adjusted targets without much adjustment (if any) to the fuel table

Ie: its fine.
Thanks for the quick response str8!

Just wanted to get clarity (to be sure)...

Are you saying that essentially "yes" despite the slight alteration in types of parts that I can flash that custom tune with the accessport and still achieve the benefits (ie: measurable whp gains) while the stock ECU makes any small adjustments to/within the custom tune/map as necessary at WOT/throughout...or are you essentially saying that for those parts, the stock ECU is efficient enough on its own, leading to no need of even the accessport nor tune on it (I am pretty sure you mean the former, but might as well check )

Thanks again!

Last edited by farvaric; 07-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM
farvaric

Originally Posted by farvaric
Thanks for the quick response str8!

Just wanted to get clarity (to be sure)...

Are you saying that essentially "yes" despite the slight alteration in types of parts that I can flash that custom tune with the accessport and still achieve the benefits (ie: measurable whp gains) while the stock ECU makes any small adjustments to/within the custom tune/map as necessary at WOT/throughout...or are you essentially saying that for those parts, the stock ECU is efficient enough on its own, leading to no need of even the accessport nor tune on it (I am pretty sure you mean the former, but might as well check )

Thanks again!
And this same question goes out to the community, best to ask and confirm then to dive right in on generalized experience and assumptions

Thanks for the support!