Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

logging knock retard !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Unbootable

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default logging knock retard !!!

how do you guys monitor the knock retard ?

I looked in cipher but I couldn't find any selection , Any software or logging tool ?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM
balaguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can monitor knock strength using the ROM editor. It's not listed within the standard Cipher parameters.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:45 AM
Unbootable

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately I don't have the tuner version of Osiris, But how about back probing the knock sensor signal wire, Will it give an accurate voltage reading or at least show me what's going on ?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 AM
balaguru

See http://uprev.com/documentation/Knock...n%20Device.pdf
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't log retard... just 'strength' which doesn't mean much of anything. Best to listen in yourself for knock using the aforementioned article.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Unbootable

Originally Posted by balaguru
Originally Posted by djamps
You can't log retard... just 'strength' which doesn't mean much of anything. Best to listen in yourself for knock using the aforementioned article.

Thanks for the info / diagram guys, But I think the KS will be picking up all kind of noises and it's not easy for some to differentiate between real and false knock.

The FSM states that the KS voltage should be about 2.5v ( I think this is the no knock zone ), So using a voltmeter is still a good idea but I will not be able to translate the voltages to degrees !!!

logging knock retard !!!-g4sui2v.jpg

I do believe that my ECU is pulling timing and causing me performance and MPG,

Is it normal for the ignition timing to be about 30:33 degrees while cruising at high way speeds ( doing 60 : 80 mph in 5th gear for example ) and it drops to about 27 if I give it a lil bit of gas ( it bogs down pretty bad at this point ) ?!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 AM
balaguru

Originally Posted by Unbootable
Thanks for the info / diagram guys, But I think the KS will be picking up all kind of noises and it's not easy for some to differentiate between real and false knock.

The FSM states that the KS voltage should be about 2.5v ( I think this is the no knock zone ), So using a voltmeter is still a good idea but I will not be able to translate the voltages to degrees !!!

The KS is basically just a microphone. I don't think you'll get anything meaningful from it using a voltmeter. Low on my list of prorioties is to write an android app to allow me to plug the signal into the mic on my phone and log/display a knock count. If anybody wants to beat me to it, then knock yourself out -- pun intended. I'd pay $5 for an app like that.

I do believe that my ECU is pulling timing and causing me performance and MPG,

Is it normal for the ignition timing to be about 30:33 degrees while cruising at high way speeds ( doing 60 : 80 mph in 5th gear for example ) and it drops to about 27 if I give it a lil bit of gas ( it bogs down pretty bad at this point ) ?!!!
This is what I saw when I logged my stock G35 and it ran fine.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Unbootable

Originally Posted by balaguru
This is what I saw when I logged my stock G35 and it ran fine.
Weird, I have always thought that it should be in the high 30s to low 40s ( between 37 to 43 ) .

One thing, My base ignition timing is dead on 15 degrees ( in Neutral ), But it drops to 10 and some times to 9 when I put it in gear, And the car takes off like a pig, is it normal ?!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:45 PM
HOODEY

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done a lot of work on knock detection.

Once i have an understanding of the cam and crank signals I can determine the amount of knock, ignition timing and which cylinder is knocking in real time.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Unbootable

Update,

So i replaced my knock sensor with a 560K Ohm resistor just to make sure that my theory was right. And now the car runs like a DREAM, No more bogging ( especially after warm-up ) , No more jerking at shifting points,,,,

My timing used to be about 9 degrees when the car is idling in gear, Now it jumps to over 22 degrees. So i'm sure that little b!tch was pulling away over 10 degrees of timing !!!

Now my question,

Did any one re-located the knock sensor, How safe it's ?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:13 AM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why do you want to relocate the knock sensor ?

First make sure that the car is not pinging and you don't have any metal rattle like an exhaust hitting the frame or the sway bar, Then replace the sensor if you think that it's over sensitive.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There have been multiple instances where the know sensor has been detecting false knocks with noisy built engines/FI....my tuner disabled my knock sensor using osiris for the hero tune, not sure why you had to use a resistor in your case...

Update,

So i replaced my knock sensor with a 560K Ohm resistor just to make sure that my theory was right. And now the car runs like a DREAM, No more bogging ( especially after warm-up ) , No more jerking at shifting points,,,,

My timing used to be about 9 degrees when the car is idling in gear, Now it jumps to over 22 degrees. So i'm sure that little b!tch was pulling away over 10 degrees of timing !!!

Now my question,

Did any one re-located the knock sensor, How safe it's ?