Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

new bee tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013 | 07:47 AM
916z

Default new bee tuning questions

sup guys.. I just purchased my 2006 stock 350z track a few weeks ago.. I came from and still have my 2003 cammed mach 1 mustang.. so in my few weeks of owning the car im disappointed with my 350z throttle response.. feels very lethargic .. other then that I like the car alot.. I purchased the car with the intent to track the car... but this lack of throttle response is killing me.. so looking into getting a tune.. and have a few questions..

1. if I get a dyno tune does the shop lock the tune? so no one can work on it
2. since I am going to keep the car stock.. mainly looking for throttle response and fixing the dbw.. is there just a reflash tune I can get?
3. on a uprev base tune... has uprev basically done most of the work? as in dbw.. other related things... and the dyno shop needs more to just dial in a/f ratio?

thanks.. any info will be greatly appreciated
Old 05-22-2013 | 10:57 AM
seymore4
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 916z
1. if I get a dyno tune does the shop lock the tune? so no one can work on it
2. since I am going to keep the car stock.. mainly looking for throttle response and fixing the dbw.. is there just a reflash tune I can get?
3. on a uprev base tune... has uprev basically done most of the work? as in dbw.. other related things... and the dyno shop needs more to just dial in a/f ratio?

thanks.. any info will be greatly appreciated
1) Often times yes
2) Yes, Osiris standard
3) The base tune is a ballpark tune, then its dialed in with datalogs that you record. You'll usually make a few more HP with a full dyno tune, but in your circumstance etuning would be more than enough
Old 05-22-2013 | 11:42 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Check out this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/5188...ing-101-a.html
Old 05-22-2013 | 11:00 PM
916z

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
thanks for that thread.. reread it for the second time.. picked up a little more info..

how sensitive are the knock sensors on these cars?? do these cars pick up false knock? how do people usually set up the knock tables on these cars?
Old 05-22-2013 | 11:04 PM
916z

Originally Posted by seymore4
1) Often times yes
2) Yes, Osiris standard
3) The base tune is a ballpark tune, then its dialed in with datalogs that you record. You'll usually make a few more HP with a full dyno tune, but in your circumstance etuning would be more than enough
thanks.. once the tune is locked... can it still be data logged?
Old 05-22-2013 | 11:30 PM
916z

thanks for that thread.. reread it for the second time.. picked up a little more info..

how sensitive are the knock sensors on these cars?? do these cars pick up false knock? how do people usually set up the knock tables on these cars?
found it.. thanks again sparklecityhop

A spark map should be developed on a chassis-loading dyne.
Developing a good spark map isn't as straightforward as tuning the fuel with a sideband sensor.
The car is run on the dyne and for every RPM and load bin, the ignition timing is advanced until torque starts to drop off. The point right before torque drop off is MBT (mean best torque).
The problem with this method is that many engines will encounter knock and most will encounter ping before reaching MBT, so it is important to rely on a knock sensor.
Typically, the low-load stock ignition timing is best. It's mainly under high load and with higher compression pistons, etc. that areas may need to have some ignition advance removed.
When tuning ignition timing with a knock sensor, you simply reduce the timing advance under the conditions that you encounter knock.
You can also reduce the chances of knock by reducing the intake air temperature.
The IAT (intake air temperature) sensor measures the temperature of air as it enters the engine. Cold-air intakes and intercoolers exist to lower air temps so that more ignition-timing advance can be used, which adds power unless you've hit MBT.
Detonation, or knock, is when the air/fuel mixture ignites before the cylinder reaches maximum pressure. There is a specific sequence of timing for the explosions occurring in your engine, and detonation puts stress on the engine in ways that it wasn't designed for.
Low-octane fuel, high-compression ratios, advanced ignition timing, high intake temperatures, are the most common causes of detonation.
Detonation is the cause behind broken pistons and bent rods.
Preignition is when the mixture ignites before the spark plug fires due to isolated hot spots (carbon deposits)in the combustion chamber.
Programmable ECUs allow us changes at any point in the Fuel MAP that we encounter knock, but somemay retard the timing for the whole RPM map instead of only the RPM where knock occurs.
Old 05-23-2013 | 06:11 AM
seymore4
Professional
Premier Member

thanks.. once the tune is locked... can it still be data logged?
If you have access to an Uprev cable you can always datalog, even on a completely stock Z. However if you got tuned somewhere and it was locked no one else would be able to edit or even view the original tune, so you'd either have to have the original shop update it or start from scratch
Old 05-24-2013 | 08:59 AM
str8dum1

bigger issue is that i doubt any tuner has really played with the ETC tables more than just loading the "uprev modified" preset.

I doubt that will satisfy your need for better throttle response.

You better ask that question before you continue down this path.
Old 05-24-2013 | 09:06 AM
seymore4
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by str8dum1
bigger issue is that i doubt any tuner has really played with the ETC tables more than just loading the "uprev modified" preset.

??? Most people are very satisfied with it on a DE... Its only with the newer motors that it gets tricky
Old 05-24-2013 | 08:23 PM
916z

Originally Posted by str8dum1

thanks.. this is what im concerned with...not necessarily the etc.. but the whole tune in general... i know most tuners in the mustang world would set your tune within parameter and call it good... but not tuning it to the most power,throttle response, driveability.. plus how can you really tune part throttle or real road situations on a dynojet that most shops have.