Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

I'm gonna need a tune but how do I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013 | 10:52 PM
Doggman9

Default I'm gonna need a tune but how do I get it?

Planning to have alot of exhaust/intake mods so I'm thinking I will need a tune after.

There is only 1 car shop in my city that I know of and I don't really trust them tuning my car. So a dyno tune with a tuner is out of the question.

What are my other options? I've read alot about "osiris". I understand enough about tuning to know that it's pretty complicated.

Are there preprogrammed tunes I can buy that will be better than the stock tune after my mods? Or do I have to actually tune it myself from scratch if I can't get it to a dyno/pro tuner?

Thanks to anyone who responds. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-12-2013 | 11:05 PM
Suwaidi

E-Tunes are available from several pro-tuners (assuming you go with UpRev Osiris), RTTuning.com being one of them. If you're willing to make a drive out to a tuner you'd trust within reasonable distance, that would be more optimal.

Osiris is a tuning solution offered by UpRev. There's a list of dealers here:

http://www.uprev.com/dealers.php

Plot in your zip code and you should be able to see what's available around you. Within the Alabama region, Z1Motorsports seems to be closest (they're located in GA) as a reliable solution. With that, I would suggest getting a tune once you've had all your mods together (eg. no intention of additions in the near future), to avoid having to pay for a re-tune.

Last edited by Suwaidi; 06-12-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2013 | 12:16 AM
Doggman9

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
E-Tunes are available from several pro-tuners (assuming you go with UpRev Osiris), RTTuning.com being one of them. If you're willing to make a drive out to a tuner you'd trust within reasonable distance, that would be more optimal.

Osiris is a tuning solution offered by UpRev. There's a list of dealers here:

http://www.uprev.com/dealers.php

Plot in your zip code and you should be able to see what's available around you. Within the Alabama region, Z1Motorsports seems to be closest (they're located in GA) as a reliable solution. With that, I would suggest getting a tune once you've had all your mods together (eg. no intention of additions in the near future), to avoid having to pay for a re-tune.
Thanks for the reply. A drive to Carrollton would probably be worth a custom tune. On their website it says "Z1 Motorsports specializes in Eprom tuning for the Z32, Uprev Osirus for the 350Z, G35, 370Z, G37, and GTR and Haltech tuning for all models" so it sounds like this place could be trusted to tune a 350z. Anyone have experience with Z1Motorsports?

Also I just want to clarify, I would need to purchase an Osiris License ($300) and a NA tuning ($295)? What's the deal with the license? What's that even for?

Thanks again for replying.
Old 06-13-2013 | 04:47 AM
Bmurray350z

Z1 motorsports is one of the most reputable shops in the country. definitely worth the drive.
Old 06-13-2013 | 08:15 AM
Suwaidi

That's correct. You need to purchase an initial license (one time) and pay for tuning time (hourly rate). The license is for the software to be applied to your ECU, and since you're planning on going to Z1 and they charge more for licenses purchased elsewhere, I would recommend purchasing that from them. If were to get more mods in the future, you'd only be paying for the tuning time involved (hourly rate) since you already have the license. Hence, that's why I would recommend holding off until you've gotten most of your mods together (with no plans in the near future). That way, it's a one time thing for now.

Also, some shops offer a bundle of time + the license - ask them if they have that. From what I've read on the boards, they're one of the most reputable shops in the country (as the above poster has mentioned), and currently run the fastest NA stock internal Z33 and fastest NA Z34.

Last edited by Suwaidi; 06-13-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-13-2013 | 11:58 AM
Doggman9

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
Z1 motorsports is one of the most reputable shops in the country. definitely worth the drive.
Sweet, I had no idea one of the best in the country was so close to me! (1.5 hour drive one way)

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
That's correct. You need to purchase an initial license (one time) and pay for tuning time (hourly rate). The license is for the software to be applied to your ECU, and since you're planning on going to Z1 and they charge more for licenses purchased elsewhere, I would recommend purchasing that from them. If were to get more mods in the future, you'd only be paying for the tuning time involved (hourly rate) since you already have the license. Hence, that's why I would recommend holding off until you've gotten most of your mods together (with no plans in the near future). That way, it's a one time thing for now.

Also, some shops offer a bundle of time + the license - ask them if they have that. From what I've read on the boards, they're one of the most reputable shops in the country (as the above poster has mentioned), and currently run the fastest NA stock internal Z33 and fastest NA Z34.
Awesome news. Looks like I found where I'm gonna get my tune! Thanks for the help Suwaidi, I really appreciate you taking the time to find Z1 for me and respond.

FWIW my build will be something like this Stillen true dual (check) + stillen hiflow intake (check) + motordyne MREV2 manifold + motordyne ART pipes + tune from Z1. Then I'll probably take a break from engine mods and maybe do some other stuff (brakes, suspension, etc). I have a GTM TT or Nitrous kit in the back of my mind for the years to come, however.

Last edited by Doggman9; 06-13-2013 at 12:00 PM.