Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Mapping Z in "other way"

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 PM
karletto66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mapping Z in "other way"

Hi to everyone !
I have a "different" question about mapping a Z !

Here in Italy we use "old style" systems sometimes so one my friend opened a 350Z ECU (300hp, rev-up), used an official italian instrument (KTAG) and read the rom in boot mode. Real content of the main eeprom !
I attached the file. There is someone that is able to give us some suggestion about address of main maps ? Ignition times, A/F and so on ?
He had official software also to make changes to file but this car is not covered by "drivers" included and looking at it i cannot find any table.
My personal car is mapped using UPREV (and i'm very happy for that!) and i'm only trying to help one my friend. It will be nice to discover other way to map this car, maybe also with better (but i doubt...) result ?!?
Thanks for any info coming !
Attached Files

Last edited by karletto66; 01-16-2014 at 01:49 AM. Reason: usual typing errors...
Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 PM
karletto66

No one working in old way ?
All using the "too easy" Uprev ?
It's too simple to become a Nissan tuner...
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 AM
tcode

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Why wasting time when it's already done.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 AM
karletto66

Originally Posted by tcode
Why wasting time when it's already done.
Because if you are a TUNER like my friend, and have only ONE Z to map it's "convenient" only in old way...
To buy uprev pro or tuner is too much expensive for one car.

If not you "loose" the client and maybe if he has other hardware mod with uprev using log system is not the best way.

And for ME is interesting to discover real maps on wich UPREV is doing it's "magic", i also map others my and some of my friends car for fun and i'm addicted to that !
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 979 Likes on 742 Posts

Well good job on thinking you're doing it better by doing it the hard way. You come on here with a very arrogant outlook on those who use already developed software.

We await your findings and DIY/ HOW-to but we wont hold our breath.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 AM
karletto66

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Well good job on thinking you're doing it better by doing it the hard way. You come on here with a very arrogant outlook on those who use already developed software.

We await your findings and DIY/ HOW-to but we wont hold our breath.

Arrogant way ?
I wrote that i can do better ??? Where ???

May be your posting is in that way, there is some problem with similar questions ? I know that PRO are very jelous of their secrets, never asked to have help from them...

I only ask info to other guys loving this world like me and explained the reason.
If someone want to share his info thanks, if not it's not a problem and thanks the same.
UPREV and other tools are great, i have used and payed for it so i don't see any problem in saying this. Simply looking for other way for doing the same.

It's easy to post only "i had a map DONE from someone other and take 200hp more...", more difficult to DO somenthing.

I think this forum is for SHARING info, not only for commercial.
Maybe i'm wrong.
But i don't care, not my problem in this case...
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
trusovici

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

keep up the good work karletto. For some reason the Z community loves to pay for tunes and protect the tuners work. If you pay for a tune then i dont see a reason not to share it. other communities are very open to the idea.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 979 Likes on 742 Posts

people already openly share utec, haltech and uprevs maps/tips and tricks. If you spent anytime in the FI section you would know this.

Doing it the hard way......go ahead.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

without the official italian instrument (KTAG), anything discovered is pretty much useless.

I am not sure how you think you will be able to tune for free?

Originally Posted by trusovici
keep up the good work karletto. For some reason the Z community loves to pay for tunes and protect the tuners work. If you pay for a tune then i dont see a reason not to share it. other communities are very open to the idea.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM
karletto66

Originally Posted by str8dum1
without the official italian instrument (KTAG), anything discovered is pretty much useless.

I am not sure how you think you will be able to tune for free?
I think there are other tools to do in this way.
I know FOR SURE that in Japan they make (or made...) ECU of Z in that "old" way.
But my japan language is very poor to look in their forum...

(also my english is not much good for sure...)
In Italy there a lot of forum for this kind of mapping, simply the Z is a car very few used so there is lack of info about addresses in map.
Anyway is a car like all others, with correct info not impossible to map.
And i repeat UPREV and similar did a GREAT job, my interest is not to make better...

If i discover something i'll write here, i'm not a PRO so no secret ...

Last edited by karletto66; 01-22-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM
norris_83

Wow, I just tried looking at the tune in tuner pro. That's really put a strain on my eyes!

Wish I could help. Your friend should have a parameter finder if he uses K-tag and tunes most vehicles from Hex. ECM Titanium from Alientech does the job. I'm sure since you guys are in Italy, you could get a great deal on the software.

Also if I'm not mistaken, the Nissan 350Zs are on the supported list for Kess.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 PM
karletto66

Originally Posted by norris_83
Wow, I just tried looking at the tune in tuner pro. That's really put a strain on my eyes!

Wish I could help. Your friend should have a parameter finder if he uses K-tag and tunes most vehicles from Hex. ECM Titanium from Alientech does the job. I'm sure since you guys are in Italy, you could get a great deal on the software.

Also if I'm not mistaken, the Nissan 350Zs are on the supported list for Kess.
Yes, we usually use ECm or similar software.
We have also drivers for some "old" 280hp Z but :
- no original rom dump of 280hp to look at
- the rev-up 300hp ECU seems different from 280hp

So we can't compare the "old" driver data with "new" file

We found some maps maybe in this file but we are not sure at 100% and my friends that is quite competent it this job (in Italy most are diesel now...such a shame...) doesn't want to "try&mess" with similar engines.

Better avoid than broke we say...

Thanks the same !
Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

NicoAnalyze (http://wikitest.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/...ry/NicoAnalyze) was a pretty useful tool for finding tables back in my OBD1 honda days (I ran a chipped OBD1 honda ECU on my MR2's 3SGTE as a stanalone). It assigns color shades for hex values, making the tables stand out pretty well. Tables will appear as gradual color changes. Note start and ending hex values, resize the dataview to get an idea of what the dimensions of the table are and enter those into tunerpro.

Unfortunately, it's up to you to figure out what the table actually does. It just makes locating the tables very easy. The A/F table shouldn't be too hard to determine since 1. you know it's size from uprev, and 2. the values should scale to 14.5 give or take. You can also use uprev to make a change in a known table in a similar ROM, then look for that change in the table in the raw data to determine which table is which.

Considering how many different ROMs there are, it may be more work than it's worth if using the wrong ROM will truly brick an ECU. Not to mention you probably have to dig up and alter/eliminate the checksums for the ROM to even work.

Last edited by kilogram; 01-23-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM
karletto66

Thanks !

This i a nice posting.
Maybe i will not able to do nothing but is interesting also to TRY to do somenthing in my hopinion...not always only to look...
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm all for a better solution, honestly. Uprev, to me, seems like it was mostly written by hired out third party software engineers with minimal knowledge on how engine tuning should be done. It "works," but its main advantage really is just that it's significantly cheaper than proper engine management. Quite frankly, of the 5 or 6 different OE ECU tuning platforms I've worked with, Uprev is by far my least favorite. It saves me the time of having to write it myself though, so I can't complain too much.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:13 AM
karletto66

Originally Posted by kilogram
I'm all for a better solution, honestly. Uprev, to me, seems like it was mostly written by hired out third party software engineers with minimal knowledge on how engine tuning should be done. It "works," but its main advantage really is just that it's significantly cheaper than proper engine management. Quite frankly, of the 5 or 6 different OE ECU tuning platforms I've worked with, Uprev is by far my least favorite. It saves me the time of having to write it myself though, so I can't complain too much.

But to say that here seems a offens...
UPREV is rellay great because is simple (the way of making maps with remote logging is super easy for example, also if not perfect solution) not because is the best you can do with an ECU...

But me the same used this tools for my Z, so no complain at all...

Only looking for info if it's possible to do in "classical" way...