Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Timing Advance. Am I stupid or he just don't understanding me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:41 PM
OdesiTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Timing Advance. Am I stupid or he just doesn't understand me?

Hi!
I have a Bully Dog Programmer that I get for $70 from my friend. Works great, and for 70 bucks making great difference. However. They offering 3 types of tuning: Stock/Medium/premium.
Premium tune require higher octane level and it's making me think that Premium tune have some timing advance.
I tried to chat with BullyDog tech to find out if Premium tune have any advance.
Check it out:

User/Me
Hi! Tell me please, how much timing advance I'll have with a premium tune? And when I have to check my current timing: when car on Neutral or in "Drive" position? Thanks!

Brandon
What vehicle and device are you using?

User/Me
Nissan 350Z 2006 AT
Gas GT

Brandon
let me look that up for you then

User/Me
thank you

Brandon
you can advance the timing 4 degrees on regular and 2 degrees on premium

User/Me
I can run only premium
Anyway, using your BullyDog gauge, when I have to check timing? I'm asking, because with a premium tune I see +15 on "Drive" and +17 on Neutral

Brandon
i wouldnt go over 2 on the timing or you will be advancing the timing too much

User/Me
Thank you. But can you find out for me, I'll have a correct timing readings, when transmission in position "Drive", "Park" or "Neutral"? I just have a different readings.

Brandon
so youre meaning on the gauge screen its showing timing?

User/Me
Yes

Brandon
thats the reading from the ECM on what the timing currently it at that point

User/Me
I understanding. I see almost steady 17 on Neutral and Park, and 15 on Drive. It's making difference because if I have a 17 already, I wouldn't advance it more
I understanding that it's variable according to RPM, temp, throttle position etc

Brandon
that is correct, so it will adjust depending on those variables

User/Me
Right

Brandon
it will never give a steady number, it will be different in park and neutral or drive

User/Me
so I have 15 degrees or 16 or 17? My "stock" base timing advance is 15. I'm sorry for bothering you, its just looks like I can not explain it correctly
I mean stock timing. Not advance. I'm sorry

Brandon
the timing showing 15 or whichever number it is, is the timing on the vehicle at that point of of the timing table. Even stock vehicles have advanced timing at certain times on the timing table
so lets say you are driving in lets say 3rd gear at the 2500 rpm, your timing may only be 13 at that point
and that was an exam, I'm not exactly sure where the timing is at that point

User/Me
But what timing I should have when it's Idle. I have a pretty steady numbers
My owners manual saying that I should have 15* timings. Nissan can advance it by two degrees and make it 17*, right?

Brandon
yes, or you can retard the timing if needed as well

User/Me
So I'm curious, does your premium tune advancing timing to 16* or 17*? Probably yes, that's why high octane gas recommended with Premium tune

Brandon
higher octane usually requires more advanced timing

User/Me
Whatever)) Thank you anyway

So... English is my third language, and I'm realizing this, but FTW? Can somebody understand what I'm asked him about? If so, when I have to merge/check that God damn timing readings, when I'm at "N" "D" or "P"(N and P same readings)

Last edited by OdesiTT; 09-19-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:44 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i would ditch the bully dog and get uprev/osiris or get it professionally tuned. just my
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (09-16-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:53 PM
OdesiTT

Originally Posted by travlee
i would ditch the bully dog and get uprev/osiris or get it professionally tuned. just my
Yeh, but for 70 bucks...
Old 09-12-2016, 02:56 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i completely understand, my lack of tuning is limited and that is why i suggested taking it to someone. best of luck sir
Old 09-12-2016, 03:01 PM
OdesiTT

Originally Posted by travlee
i completely understand, my lack of tuning is limited and that is why i suggested taking it to someone. best of luck sir
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

So your idle timing is going to be rougly 15*, when they talk about adding or taking away timing that is usally at wot. More timing equals more power but higher chance of knock "ping" and removing timing reduces power and reduces the chance of knock.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:39 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by OdesiTT
Yeh, but for 70 bucks...
ask 'speednz' what a few degrees of timing cost him...lol

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...wn-engine.html
Old 09-13-2016, 10:54 PM
MartinZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeh, but for 70 bucks...
Pay peanuts, get monkeys...

The advance is not constant/static - the ECU varies the timing depending on RPM and load (as well as things like engine and air temp)

The idle advance would be set with the car fully warmed up, aircon off, in neutral - without knowing how the "Bully Dog" programming works it's hard to know if this is just an idle setting (useless) or an advance trim across the entire rev range (which is where you need to be careful)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Osiris can advance/retard 2 degrees to any Nissan for free if you know someone who has the cable. I'm almost sure this will do the same thing. It will bump the timing 2 degrees across the RPM range. Its not worth it.

you can advance the timing 4 degrees on regular and 2 degrees on premium
what? did you mix them up or is that what he said? If its the later then he has no idea what is going on.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Mia Mia

Old 09-19-2016, 02:03 PM
OdesiTT

Originally Posted by Conway_160
So your idle timing is going to be rougly 15*, when they talk about adding or taking away timing that is usally at wot. More timing equals more power but higher chance of knock "ping" and removing timing reduces power and reduces the chance of knock.
I'm pretty familiar with timings and how it's works. 350Z's base timing is 15. I tried to figure out, does their "premium" canned tune advancing some timing. They just saying that I can adjust it by 2* and (hopefully) pretending that they don't understanding what I'm talking about. The problem is, that I was right, and Premium tune advancing it to 17(+2). I didn't know that and adjusted it by 2 more. After all I was running 19* and couldn't figure out why my car overheating.

Originally Posted by bealljk
ask 'speednz' what a few degrees of timing cost him...lol

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...wn-engine.html
n my case I just get a valve cover leak. Fortunately, I fixed the source of the problem before it's caused some damage.

Originally Posted by MartinZ
Pay peanuts, get monkeys...

The advance is not constant/static - the ECU varies the timing depending on RPM and load (as well as things like engine and air temp)

The idle advance would be set with the car fully warmed up, aircon off, in neutral - without knowing how the "Bully Dog" programming works it's hard to know if this is just an idle setting (useless) or an advance trim across the entire rev range (which is where you need to be careful)
Yes, BullyDog advancing timing all the way across the band

Originally Posted by midz350
Osiris can advance/retard 2 degrees to any Nissan for free if you know someone who has the cable. I'm almost sure this will do the same thing. It will bump the timing 2 degrees across the RPM range. Its not worth it.
This programmer doing a lot of cool stuff beside of timing.
1) BD tune adjusting fuel maps and ECU targets like AFR, timing etc. This thing works, but not making as much power on Z, as on the trucks.
2) WOT restriction can be removed(big deal btw)
3)Idle can be adjusted up to 1250 RPM, and it's helps as some kind of launch control for AT.
4) AFR can be adjusted, but only 14.7(13.6-8 at WOT) or 12.3(11.9WOT), probably for FI.

And after all, this is a great gauge on great looking LCD where I can see my Coolant temp, transmission temp, air intake temp, AFR, etc and also its have a performance testing software and showing your 0-60feet, 0-60mph, 1/4 mile etc.
For $70, this is my best purchase ever. Very happy with it
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

And after all, this is a great gauge on great looking LCD where I can see my Coolant temp, transmission temp, air intake temp, AFR, etc and also its have a performance testing software and showing your 0-60feet, 0-60mph, 1/4 mile etc.
For $70, this is my best purchase ever. Very happy with it
well - you just proved to a random group of people how ignorant you are (best $70 you've ever spent ... lol)

does it tell you how much wheel horse power your car makes? enjoy your light-box

Last edited by bealljk; 09-20-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:57 PM
canadarob

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its beyond terrifying that it would increase timing across the whole MAP!!! That is beyond unsafe.

A real tune is very dynamic
Old 09-22-2016, 08:39 AM
OdesiTT

Originally Posted by bealljk
well - you just proved to a random group of people how ignorant you are (best $70 you've ever spent ... lol)

does it tell you how much wheel horse power your car makes? enjoy your light-box
I know that people are very skeptic about programmers, but this one is proven to work. To backup my words, here is the video.
Please note how the graph looks like. Much better curves as for me.
And its many dyno tests was done w/BullyDog(see youtube) and it's always making power. This is not like eBay chips. This one in line with Cobb and Hypertech.
Moreover, this is only programmer that have a great gauges, alarm lvls etc. Some people paying $50 for 2* advance, so, even if this thing just advancing timing(but in fact its doing much more) and for $20 more bucks I'm getting 25 different gauges and ability to switch Timing/AFR/Idle etc one the fly, I think this is a deal.

Last edited by OdesiTT; 09-22-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 AM
OdesiTT

Originally Posted by canadarob
Its beyond terrifying that it would increase timing across the whole MAP!!! That is beyond unsafe.

A real tune is very dynamic
I know. But I have a lot of things to spend the money on, so UpRev have to wait. BD advancing timings safely. That's why you are not going to make some incredible power, but you'll have a good gains while you still staying on the safe side.