Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

eManage installed on my N/A Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:39 AM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by THX723
Haven't been monitoring this thread for a bit. How are things progressing Chris?

I'm glad you were able to validate the AF reading and that your wideband is not off cal. Now that you've eliminated this x-factor ... it's time for you to retune your eMange maps. If you're basing your map for GReddy TT, you'd definitely not want to leave other cells alone (the green ones). They are too rich for you. When did you last tune your eManage? ... was it during the summer? The colder weather (denser air) lately could have accounted for a slight shift in the cells being read in the MAP. Can the eManage log MAF voltage? If it can and you happened to have logged it from before ... you'd be able to tell very easily.
No, I haven't had the chance to tune anything. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to. I know that the eManage logs a lot (MAF included), but I normally don't log anything with the eManage, I just log the A/F from the Zeitronix and then adjust the cells of the eManage map based on RPM. Might not be the best way to do it, but it worked before. I'll see what I can come up with.

-Chris
Old 01-26-2005, 04:40 PM
350zWarz

did you get a chance to do any tuning this past weekend
Old 01-27-2005, 08:23 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by 350zWarz
did you get a chance to do any tuning this past weekend
Nope, I didn't get the chance. Hopefully this weekend I will.

-Chris
Old 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
zcar03

Anybody have a link to download they CD. Or can email me a copy gtabadboy@yahoo.com
Old 02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by zcar03
Anybody have a link to download they CD. Or can email me a copy gtabadboy@yahoo.com
Here's the link:
http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/#supporttool

You get the software, the proprietary cable (you must have this cable in order to use the software), any future updates. All for $119!

-Chris
Old 02-25-2005, 08:11 AM
JoshTreeFity

How many NA bolt ons do you think you would need to put down some good numbers with tuning the e-manage?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:34 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by JoshTreeFity
How many NA bolt ons do you think you would need to put down some good numbers with tuning the e-manage?
Well, I've determined that N/A SUCKS the BIG one!!! There is nothing that you can really do to get good numbers with NA. It's all a crap shoot based on how much hp your bone-stock Z makes from the factory. Considering at the last dyno meet there were guys who had absolutely NOTHING done to their Z's and were making MORE hp than people with well over $2500 in bolt on mods it would seem that there is nothing (aside from going FI) that you can do to get any decent gains with N/A bolt-on mods. I have given up on attempting to gain any hp with this e-manage and have decided to just use it to keep my A/F in a safer zone than running without it. I am so irritated with this car. I have focused all my attention on my chopper and haven't done anything on the Z in well over a month. It's just not worth the effort.

-Chris
Old 02-27-2005, 10:05 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

chris, i'm sorry that you feel that way. but thanks to your extensive research, it really helped a lot of people around the forums, and i mean a lot, including myself! without your contributions, we would have been left in the dark about mods, the emanage, and how they all came together. there may still be hope, but maybe we jus' have to dig deeper, or look for better products! again chris, thanks for the great info! cheers!

n1cK!

ps-good luck on your chopper!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:30 AM
johanna1

Well one reason you are not making much more hp is because you still have stock headers, cams, exhaust, and etc. You have parts up there that do nothing hardly to your car. Do you really think a popcharger will send your hp flying up. And it would help to free up that exhaust the whole way instead of just new cats or test pipes. Don't give up either because of what other people have dynoed. Dynos differ and peoples Z's differ. Some parts that are on the market for the Z suck. Try that new AAM spacer or the APS plenum. Hey just get a supercharger if you want to stay cheap.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:52 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I agree with Johanna.

Chris I mentioned a while ago (in the thread following our dyno numbers from Stricty Dyno in reseda) that you won't see gains without finishing the exhaust. You've increased flow from the cats, but that improvement diminishes once it's hits restrictions in the Y-pipe.

A tuned exhaust system can only perform as good as it's worst restriction allows.

Non-cammed but properly modified Z's have shown the potential to run 260+ to the wheels. Almost a consistent 20-30 over stock.

I got 256 that day with limp timing due to knocking
Old 02-28-2005, 08:41 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by zxsaint
I agree with Johanna.

Chris I mentioned a while ago (in the thread following our dyno numbers from Stricty Dyno in reseda) that you won't see gains without finishing the exhaust. You've increased flow from the cats, but that improvement diminishes once it's hits restrictions in the Y-pipe.

A tuned exhaust system can only perform as good as it's worst restriction allows.

Non-cammed but properly modified Z's have shown the potential to run 260+ to the wheels. Almost a consistent 20-30 over stock.

I got 256 that day with limp timing due to knocking
Yeah, I guess there is a lot that you can do, but unfortunately when you throw all that money into the black hole of performance and only get around 10 hp over what your stock numbers are, you get a little miffed. I guess that's where I am right now. I just don't see spending any more money on things that will only get me a few extra hp. I've learned my lesson with this car and that lesson is that if you want a car that's a HP Monster.... make sure it's alrealy like that when you buy it.

-Chris
Old 02-28-2005, 08:53 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i'd say you'd be in the 250ish range with grounding kit, popcharger, UR pulley, cats and plenum.

The reason I've been following this thread was back awhile ago I was wanting something to balance my A/F. I wasn't going to expect to get any real gains from better A/F tunig - if anything it'd be like 1 or 2 hp
Old 02-28-2005, 12:45 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

with the danger of running lean after adding so many mods, this thread was great in showing how the emanage tuned out the A/F. that's what i'm sayin'....i hope no one is looking to get any major gains with the emanage, especially if you're NA. if you're going FI, that's a different story.

also, did we ever figure out if the ecu will jus' relearn everything that you "retaught" it with the piggy back, effectively cancelling out the piggy back signals? i must've missed that in the ungodly amount of pages!

n1cK!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:57 PM
johanna1

The thing is that you have parts from companys that show little gains. If you would have spent your money wisely on better parts then there would be gains of 20-30hp. I have seen people gain really good gains from crawford headers and stillen headers. I have seen better gains from people with other types of test pipes and plenums. And another main reason like everyone has said is because you have a stock exhaust. Change that thing out and you will probably get another 10hp from it because now you will get the true gains from the test pipes.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:31 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally posted by johanna1
The thing is that you have parts from companys that show little gains. If you would have spent your money wisely on better parts then there would be gains of 20-30hp. I have seen people gain really good gains from crawford headers and stillen headers. I have seen better gains from people with other types of test pipes and plenums. And another main reason like everyone has said is because you have a stock exhaust. Change that thing out and you will probably get another 10hp from it because now you will get the true gains from the test pipes.
i disagree. 20-30hp is a lot for bolt-ons. now, i'm talkin' about "basic" bolt-ons, no cams or engine internals...jus' things such as intake, exhaust, etc.

in all reality, test pipes are test pipes...there shouldn't be much difference (unless the diameters differ), but let's not take it for more than what it is, they're jus' pipes.

10hp just from an exhaust, on an NA car, even with fuel/ignition management, is a little much, don't you think. 10-20hp on FI, that's a different story.

n1cK!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:44 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by n1cK!
i disagree. 20-30hp is a lot for bolt-ons. now, i'm talkin' about "basic" bolt-ons, no cams or engine internals...jus' things such as intake, exhaust, etc.

in all reality, test pipes are test pipes...there shouldn't be much difference (unless the diameters differ), but let's not take it for more than what it is, they're jus' pipes.

10hp just from an exhaust, on an NA car, even with fuel/ignition management, is a little much, don't you think. 10-20hp on FI, that's a different story.

n1cK!
I tend to agree with n1cK. I have discovered that there is only so much that you can do with an N/A car that is relatively cost effecvtive. Cams and Headers do NOT give you enough gain to justify their price unless you are made of money. I realize that parts work "together" to add and/or subtract gains. Something that gives you 8 hp by itself may only provide 4 or less when combined with other things. It's like a big puzzle. Originally I thought that if I got my A/F into the sweet spot or 12.5 or so across the board I would see some impressive gains. Unfortunatly there are just too many factors that influence hp. Then there is the never ending debate on whether the ECU adjusts itself over time to negate the mods you install. As far as I'm concerned the ONLY thing that you can do to an N/A car to see some dramatic gains is to convert it from N/A to FI

-Chris
Old 02-28-2005, 03:06 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Well, I've determined that N/A SUCKS the BIG one!!! There is nothing that you can really do to get good numbers with NA.
That's why I only decided to put basic bolt ons like I/E for small additional power. I think I'd be far better off improving the handling and making the car turn in terms of bang for your buck performance. And thats what I'm in the process of doing at the moment. Until my driving skill improves to the point where the stock amount of power is the limiting factor, I'm sure I'll be fine.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:46 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Then there is the never ending debate on whether the ECU adjusts itself over time to negate the mods you install. As far as I'm concerned the ONLY thing that you can do to an N/A car to see some dramatic gains is to convert it from N/A to FI

-Chris
well, i would hope that the ECU wouldn't do that with the bolt-ons! but my question was whether it will adjust itself over time to negate the piggy back. i think that is a debateable issue as well.

i agree with dklau33, one of the best things to do is to upgrade the suspension. don't get me wrong, it's great out of the factory (especially the G), but like all things, there is room for improvement. new sway bars, camber/toe arms, strut bars (yeah yeah yeah, we G drivers need one of those!), etc.

n1cK!

ps-wish i was made of money
Old 03-01-2005, 11:27 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

i disagree. 20-30hp is a lot for bolt-ons.

It's been done again and again. Quite a few in the 260 club without cams and headers. Also, don't forget that peak hp numbers aren't the end all. Some modifications (incl rotational mass reductions like pulley/flywheel) pass on more power to the wheels and that affects the whole TQ line, not just peak.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:06 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally posted by zxsaint

It's been done again and again. Quite a few in the 260 club without cams and headers.[/B]
please, point me in the right direction maybe i haven't seen enough around here or on g35driver.com...

n1cK!

Quick Reply: eManage installed on my N/A Z