Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

eManage installed on my N/A Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:10 PM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zexy
Clint is a freakin genious.

So basically you can never tune it perfect, but close because the ECU will always tweak it because of POS OBD2

So i would conclude(not sure) resetting the ECU prior to dynoing will cause or help you to get the highest reading on the dyno? Won't the car lose power later on anyways due to the normal ECU tweaking? How often should it be reset?(still don't really know)
I'm thinking once a week should be good to keep your car in the "sweet spot". Not sure if a TS flash will make your car stay in the good ignition map, but the reason that I went with the eManage was so I wouldn't have to pay to get a TS flash so that would kinda defeat the whole purpose.

Looks like I'll just be resetting the ECU on a weekly basis from now on to make sure that it's on the aggressive timing map.

-Chris
Old 01-11-2005, 12:48 PM
dchi_t

chris-
what are your map numbers again? the aggresive one. what about daily drivin scenirios? do you have seperate maps to cruise in or something? sorry im new, and im looking into getting an eManage also,. it'll cost less than reflash
Old 01-11-2005, 03:15 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by dchi_t
chris-
what are your map numbers again? the aggresive one. what about daily drivin scenirios? do you have seperate maps to cruise in or something? sorry im new, and im looking into getting an eManage also,. it'll cost less than reflash
Well, the eManage doesn't work like that. You get 1 map to play with... that's it. Either you are running the map, or you aren't. You don't have the option of loading different maps based on driving conditions. Unless you buy the E-01 unit, you have to enter everything with a connected laptop so it would not really be convenient to change the numbers while driving anyway.

By "aggressive" do you mean the timing map? If so, that is what THX was saying is built into the ECU from the factory. Supposedly there are 3 timing maps and it starts out on one of the first two which are I guess more aggressive on the timing advance and then after a while it goes to the third one which is really moderate.

That's why I am going to reset my ECU each week. So the timing stays in one of the first two maps. It might be a little extreme, but if it will gain hp, it's worth it in my opinion.

Now after having this eManage and seeing what it can and can't do, I think that if I had it to do over again, I'd just get a TS flash since it does everything by itself and also can advance timing and other stuff. Since my Z is an '03 I think that they've got those pretty much nailed down. Don't get me wrong, the eManage is cool, but unless you are running FI, it might not be the best thing to do.

We'll see if I change my mind once the rain stops long enough for me to get a few WOT runs to check my A/F. If it still says that I'm running 12.5 then I'll really be confused because it will mean that either the tailpipe sniffer is way off or my Zeitronix Wideband is way off.

We'll see...

-Chris
Old 01-11-2005, 07:53 PM
THX723

Originally posted by Zexy
So basically you can never tune it perfect, but close because the ECU will always tweak it because of POS OBD2.

Won't the car lose power later on anyways due to the normal ECU tweaking?
That is correct. However, if you are careful about which area of the map you tweak ... you can sneak around w.o. too much adverse reaction from the ECU. It'll take some trial and error and lots of road tuning.

So i would conclude(not sure) resetting the ECU prior to dynoing will cause or help you to get the highest reading on the dyno?
Yes, that is generally the case. However, running the most aggressive map also means you'd want the best gas you can get to take advantage of it. The ECU will start to take out timing at the first sign of knocking. It won't have down graded maps right away ... but if the knocking persists for a specified period of time, it most definitely will.

The *main* objective that I recommend an ECU reset before Dyno runs isn't so much so you'll make more power (however, that will generally be the case). Instead, it's a way of standardizing all dyno runs ... making sure the same ignition timing map is used in every single case (remember ... there are three and you're never certain which one it's currently on after some time.).

How often should it be reset?(still don't really know)
That's a tough one to answer. It'll depend heavily on the quality of the gas you use and can get in your area. Also factored in is how you drive your car ... the general environment (temp, humility) in your area. The deciding factor here is engine knocking ... ones that are so minute that you can't hear but the knock sensor can. Sometimes it could very well have been a particular noise/vibration that appeared to be knock to the sensor ... those will also count against you. Heh ... tough luck! For the sake of being safe and reliable ... this is how the system works.

Last edited by THX723; 01-11-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:57 PM
dchi_t

so to simplify things w/ all the hassle...just reflash this SOB w/ technosqaure or the Altered atmosphere reflash.....they are both the same no? timing, raised redline, raised fuel cut off, rasied max mph..etc...correct? if so which one is better? i believe the AA is cheaper than the techno square, but on the other had the TS is much more well known
Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 PM
THX723

Chris,

Well, I have modified the numbers in every cell of the injector map. I based my original map on the GReddy TT map, then added and removed numbers from there.
Well, that may not have been the best idea. Your close-loop sections and certainly part of your open-loop sections will have been wayyyy too rich. Basically, only those you manage to revised are (assumed) ok.

If you’re wondering why your car’s AF appeared to be ok during idle or cruise … that’s because in close-loop … the ECU’s doing a hell of a job correcting it (it’s capable of up to +/- 30%) and in the process driving your short-term and long term fuel trim out of wack.

We'll see if I change my mind once the rain stops long enough for me to get a few WOT runs to check my A/F. If it still says that I'm running 12.5 then I'll really be confused because it will mean that either the tailpipe sniffer is way off or my Zeitronix Wideband is way off.
Yup … by all means don’t reset your ECU just yet, so we can determine what’s happening.

If under the same previous conditions (when you were tuning the eManage) … you still manage to get 12.5 AF, the it could be either of two things:

1. Your Zeitronix Wideband’s off-Cal.

or

2. You car did NOT see full load on the DynoJet. eManage was accessing cells that you did not tune (those you left untouched from the GReddy TT map).

Can you post your current MAP so I can take a look?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by THX723
Chris,

Yeah, let me find it.

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 01-12-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by THX723
Chris,

Stupid 10 minute edit limit!

Here is the map that I am currently running. I was wrong. I did not modify every cell. I took the GReddy TT map and then changed the cells highlighted in pink to get the 12.5 A/F that I was supposedly running.

-Chris
Old 01-12-2005, 11:36 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I'm starting to strongly believe that this car isn't tuned for 91 octane gas, and even more so after it's been even slightly modded. Even with the ECU flash, it pulls timing on me all the time due to pinging. The result is weak, rough and raspy acceleration. I put this to test by filling up on 101 octane last night and resetting the ECU (using the gas pedal dance). This morning, pure bliss. The exhaust note is deeper, acceleration is smoother -- and it'll probably stay this way until it pings on crap gas again.

Permanent solution would be to get TSQ to pull out some of the advanced timing out of the map -OR- find a cheap source of toluene.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:48 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Good news... kinda

Well, I got some good news a little while ago. I was able to get 2 good WOT runs in on my way back to work and it appears that the tailpipe sniffer on the Dyno this past Saturday was pretty accurate. I AM in fact running PIG rich as the graph below shows. Now I am just confused as to why I was at 12.5 a few months ago and nothing changed (that I had anything to do with) and now I am about a whole number richer?

-Chris

Old 01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Default Re: Good news... kinda

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Well, I got some good news a little while ago. I was able to get 2 good WOT runs in on my way back to work and it appears that the tailpipe sniffer on the Dyno this past Saturday was pretty accurate. I AM in fact running PIG rich as the graph below shows. Now I am just confused as to why I was at 12.5 a few months ago and nothing changed (that I had anything to do with) and now I am about a whole number richer?

-Chris

chris, refresh my memory please, but when you initially tuned, did you get good WOT runs in the first place? i remember you saying that one run was cut short. could that have anything to do with it?

clint, how would you go about verifying the calibration of the wideband that you have versus the dyno sniffer? even simpler, how would you just go about verifying the calibration of YOUR wideband? that's probably something important that people should know, yes?

chris, maybe it was the ECU "adapting" to the eManage.......hmmmmmmm............

n1cK!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:54 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

clint, if the ECU is so finnicky and makes so many adjustments to try and offset the piggyback input, then why even bother with a piggy back? also, if the ECU is sooooooo adaptive, why can't it adapt (ie change its own maps) to the mods we install (mainly w/intake, exhaust)? i mean, if the ECU's correction factor can be so large, then i don't see the point. am i missing something here?

n1cK!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Good news... kinda

Originally posted by n1cK!
chris, refresh my memory please, but when you initially tuned, did you get good WOT runs in the first place? i remember you saying that one run was cut short. could that have anything to do with it?

n1cK!
I was able to get some WOT runs in before (4 I think) and they were all in the range of 12.2 to 12.8 on A/F across the board. I am going to reset the ECU a little later and get a couple runs in and see if my A/F is back up into the 12's where it was before. If so, then that will mean that either the ECU is adjusting itself for the additional fuel the GReddy is injecting or the ECU Timing map is on the conservative map now and after the reset it's on the aggressive map (where it may have been before).

-Chris
Old 01-13-2005, 03:03 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Interesting results after ECU reset

Well, I reset my ECU and was able to get in a couple more WOT runs on the way back to work again and the results are quite interesting. Below are the graphs of both WOT runs yesterday as well as the ones today after resetting my ECU. They are virtually identical +- .2!

Looks like it may just be a case of adjusting the numbers on the eManage to get into the good range again.

-Chris

Old 01-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Larrio

one thing that confuses me is that Tadashi at TS claims A/F readings from the tail pipe and dyno are completely inaccurate due to vehicle load capacity and the sniffer being too far downstream.

the last two times I was down at TS they just pulled my spark plugs to check for lean/rich air fuel ratio and dismissed the dyno readings.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:27 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Larrio
one thing that confuses me is that Tadashi at TS claims A/F readings from the tail pipe and dyno are completely inaccurate due to vehicle load capacity and the sniffer being too far downstream.

the last two times I was down at TS they just pulled my spark plugs to check for lean/rich air fuel ratio and dismissed the dyno readings.
Well, I too believed that A/F reading would differ between a sensor pre-cat near the downpipe and a tailpipe sniffer. Based on the numbers that I got from the dyno vs. the A/F that I am logging with my Zeitronix wideband, that is not correct. The reading from the tailpipe sniffer was pretty darned accurate despite what I thought. I don't know how they could tell your exact A/F by pulling a spark plug. It would tell if you were generally lean or rich based on the condition of the plug, but it wouldn't tell what you were currently running.

-Chris
Old 01-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always found the same thing...if the sniffer is working, I have never seen a big deviation at all between 02's at the test pipes and the sniffer
Old 01-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Larrio

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Well, I too believed that A/F reading would differ between a sensor pre-cat near the downpipe and a tailpipe sniffer. Based on the numbers that I got from the dyno vs. the A/F that I am logging with my Zeitronix wideband, that is not correct. The reading from the tailpipe sniffer was pretty darned accurate despite what I thought. I don't know how they could tell your exact A/F by pulling a spark plug. It would tell if you were generally lean or rich based on the condition of the plug, but it wouldn't tell what you were currently running.

-Chris
well I should note that this was on my 01 maxima, which was the test vehicle for TS. Apparently its a market that hasn't been too profitable for them in the past, hence the lack of ethusiasm in service and tuning. I just lucked out because the 01 ECU skematics are similar to the Z/g35/02+maximas

They just pull one spark plug, tell me its on the lean side (even though the A/F charts on the dyno are pig rich 11.8-12.0) and send me on my way. I have much better service with my sister's Z, but I can't blame them too much for that (shady and cheap maxima owners).
Old 01-15-2005, 07:38 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Larrio
well I should note that this was on my 01 maxima, which was the test vehicle for TS. Apparently its a market that hasn't been too profitable for them in the past, hence the lack of ethusiasm in service and tuning. I just lucked out because the 01 ECU skematics are similar to the Z/g35/02+maximas

They just pull one spark plug, tell me its on the lean side (even though the A/F charts on the dyno are pig rich 11.8-12.0) and send me on my way. I have much better service with my sister's Z, but I can't blame them too much for that (shady and cheap maxima owners).

Ummmmmmm....... ok
Old 01-17-2005, 07:52 AM
THX723

Haven't been monitoring this thread for a bit. How are things progressing Chris?

I'm glad you were able to validate the AF reading and that your wideband is not off cal. Now that you've eliminated this x-factor ... it's time for you to retune your eMange maps. If you're basing your map for GReddy TT, you'd definitely not want to leave other cells alone (the green ones). They are too rich for you. When did you last tune your eManage? ... was it during the summer? The colder weather (denser air) lately could have accounted for a slight shift in the cells being read in the MAP. Can the eManage log MAF voltage? If it can and you happened to have logged it from before ... you'd be able to tell very easily.

Quick Reply: eManage installed on my N/A Z