Looking good Chris

Almost there buddy, keep up the good work

Laterz
Aceman
Old 09-12-2004, 08:03 AM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by motr bldr
can you or are you using the emanage to tune timing at all? if i remember you can tune the ignition with the optional harness, cant you?
No. Since my Z is still N/A there is no reason to mess with timing. With the eManage you can retard timing if you buy the optional ignition harness, but I don't need it.

-Chris
Old 09-22-2004, 11:13 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default WTF?!?!

Ok. This is for all of you who are currently running the eManage.

I can't understand what's happening with mine. I did some WOT 3rd gear runs and logged my A/F, then did some more and did a map trace to see which cells were used. I took this information and by using it and also looking at the base GReddy TT map, I came up with some new numbers for my Additional Injector Map. I exported the new map the the eManage yesterday and then took it for a couple WOT 3rd gear runs to check the new A/F. The results are mind boggling. Perhaps one of you might have an explaination for it??

Here's the numbers for the map that I entered into the eManage. The Yellow cells are those from the first map trace and the blue are from the second (the blue overlaps most of the yellow). They show the cells that were used for the WOT 3rd gear runs. I then entered the other numbers based on the GReddy TT map.

Now for the confusing part. After entering those new numbers and resetting the eManage then taking the car out for a few runs the A/F ratio is LEANER than before?!?!?! How can that be? I don't understand how the mixture can be leaner if there is more fuel? Maybe I need to increase the numbers in the cells? Maybe if I enter the exact numbers from the GReddy TT map that might make a difference? I am really at a loss.

Here's the A/F graph that shows the difference in the A/F ratios. The Blue line is my base A/F with "0.0" in all the Injector map cells. The Red line is with the above map information entered.

Can anyone explain this?? I'm not sure what to do at this point?

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 09-22-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:35 AM
g356gear

Is the injector scaling different when you imported the greddy map info???
Old 09-22-2004, 12:05 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by g356gear
Is the injector scaling different when you imported the greddy map info???
No, I am still running the stock injectors so I have not changed anything with the scaling option. I just entered the info into the cells, then exported the new map data to the eManage unit.

I was also confused on how the numbers are actually used. For example:

If the Injector duty cycle is 40% at a given cell location (based on the eManage maptrace and realtime data display) and I enter 30 into that cell, does that mean that the total injector duty is 70? That's how I was understanding it, but then I looked at the Support Tool manual again and it doesn't appear that's the case. Math was never my strong suit but it looks like they are taking the base injector duty % for the given map location then multiplying it by a decimal of the number you enter into the cell?

So using the above numbers:

40 + (40 X 0.3) = 52 rather than 70?

I hate math!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:26 PM
IceY2K1Max

Yes, 52. Whatever PERCENT you enter into the cell from 0-100%(not exceeding a combined 100% MAX) will be the percent of ORIGINAL added to the stock ECU value, 40 in this case.

So, in your example, adding 30%(0.30) to the original 40, ie 40 x 0.30 means:

ORIGINAL + (ORIGINAL x New) =
=40 + (40x0.30)
=40 + 12
=52 total

I think your issue is related to downloading and not making a new customer file or whatever, others have had issues with.

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
.... it looks like they are taking the base injector duty % for the given map location then multiplying it by a decimal of the number you enter into the cell?

So using the above numbers:

40 + (40 X 0.3) = 52 rather than 70?
[/B]

Last edited by IceY2K1Max; 09-22-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:31 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Success!!

Well I was a bit frustrated and decided to tinker with the eManage on my lunch break. I decided to try something so I changed the injector map numbers to match the ones that come programmed with the GReddy TT kit. Here's what I entered:

I saved the map and then reset the eManage and then drove back to work. I got in a good WOT 3rd gear run on the way back and as you can see from the results in the graph below... the GReddy numbers made a BIG difference. I was a little concerned that my eManage unit might not be working, but as you can see by the green line in the graph... it's definitely A LOT richer now:

Now I just need to tweak the map numbers a little to get it nice and smooth. I also want to lean it out just a little on the top end. Since I'm N/A I don't need to be sub-12. I'm looking to get a nice smooth 12.5 across the RPM range.

More to follow...
Old 09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
IceY2K1Max

Any way you can log MAF voltage and AFR vs. RPM?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:02 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by IceY2K1Max
Any way you can log MAF voltage and AFR vs. RPM?
Not really. With the eManage "Realtime" display I can log MAF voltage and RPM, but not A/F. I have a seperate Zeitronix wideband that I use to create the graphs of my A/F but it only logs RPM, A/F and TPS.

-Chris
Old 09-22-2004, 05:05 PM
IceY2K1Max

I think I've read over on the yahoo groups you could use the WB02 output and put it in on the eManage MAP or TPS inputs to log. The TPS will work, but its units are off.

Let me know if you do.

Alex

Not really. With the eManage "Realtime" display I can log MAF voltage and RPM, but not A/F. I have a seperate Zeitronix wideband that I use to create the graphs of my A/F but it only logs RPM, A/F and TPS.

-Chris

Last edited by IceY2K1Max; 09-22-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:09 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by IceY2K1Max
I think I've read over on the yahoo groups you could use the WB02 output and put it in on the eManage MAP or TPS inputs to log. The TPS will work, but its units are off.

Let me know if you do.

Alex
Well, you can import A/F into the eManage, but you need the E-01 unit which I don't have. I think that I'll cool now with the new numbers. I just need to do a little tweaking on them to get them dialed in.

-Chris
Old 09-23-2004, 03:22 PM
ChrisMCagle

Talking Almost there!

Well, I must say that this is coming together a lot better (and quicker) than I thought it would once I actually began tuning.

I massaged the map a little when I got home last night and was able to get in one test run. Unfortunately I had to cut WOT at a little past 5500 RPMs because my Passport 8500 started screaming at me (CHP about 1/2 mile behind me).

Luckily I was able to log enough data to show that my A/F is now A LOT smoother and pretty consistant at between 12.3 and 12.7. I will try to get in some more runs tomorrow night. I still need to see what the top end looks like. I'm very happy with the results so far!

Here's what the A/F map is looking like now (Purple line):

-Chris
Old 09-23-2004, 04:12 PM
THX723

Default Re: Almost there!

That's looking pretty sweet Chris!

BTW ... have you noticed any power gain in the process???

I decided to go the TS ECU route and have just got done fine tuning my AF. It's looking pretty good at 12.8-12.9 across the board.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:48 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Almost there!

Originally posted by THX723
That's looking pretty sweet Chris!

BTW ... have you noticed any power gain in the process???

I decided to go the TS ECU route and have just got done fine tuning my AF. It's looking pretty good at 12.8-12.9 across the board.
Well, with the most recent change to the map I noticed that it has a nice smooth increase in speed and power. With the other maps it felt as though the accelleration flattened out in a few spots. I still need to get a run of the full RPM range to see how the 5500+ RPM range looks.

I can definitely feel the difference though over the stock map.

-Chris
Old 11-27-2004, 12:06 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Thumbs up any progress?

haven't heard from you in a while, i jus' wanted to keep this post alive so here's a "bump." any progress? i'm thinkin' about doin' the same thing after all the mods are installed.....don't wanna run too lean either!

n1cK!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:37 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: any progress?

Originally posted by n1cK!
haven't heard from you in a while, i jus' wanted to keep this post alive so here's a "bump." any progress? i'm thinkin' about doin' the same thing after all the mods are installed.....don't wanna run too lean either!

n1cK!
Well, Ive pretty much got it dialed in. I'm at about 11.5 across the board up to redline. I can definitely feel the difference in power. I am just waiting for the dyno day to get organized in the SoCal forum so that I can go and actually "see" what I'm making to the wheels.

-Chris
Old 11-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

11.5 on an NA car?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:56 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
11.5 on an NA car?
Whoopsie! my bad.

I mean't 12.5, but I typed 11.5.

-Chris
Old 11-27-2004, 11:36 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Whoopsie! my bad.

I mean't 12.5, but I typed 11.5.

-Chris
whew! so you're 12.5, even above 6k rpm now? i remembered in some of the earlier posts and how dropped down significantly in the higher rpm ranges. has this issue been resolved?

n1cK!
Old 11-27-2004, 11:53 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by n1cK!
whew! so you're 12.5, even above 6k rpm now? i remembered in some of the earlier posts and how dropped down significantly in the higher rpm ranges. has this issue been resolved?

n1cK!
Well, at the lowest point I am at about 11.9, but that's pretty much right at 6000. From about 2500 RPMs up till about 5700, I am in the 12.3 to 12.7 range.

-Chris

Quick Reply: eManage installed on my N/A Z