Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

The "right" way to tune the Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly right. The other consideration is the ultra close relationships that exist between the Euro and US markets in terms of the ecu and other specs. I know I went through the same thing on my S4 - my chip nearly doubled boost as I recall (it's been a few years)and yet ran as flawlessly as it did with the OEM ecu.

The Japanese ecu's on the other hand tend to have huge differences in them to the US counterparts - on an Evo, just as an example, the pinouts are even different! I have not studied the JDM Z ecu in any depth to know how it differs, though I am told there are significant differences between them
Old 08-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but you guys are refering to turbo upgrade kits for cars already equiped with turbos. Often, there is very easy and safe HP to be made by ECU tweaking in those cases.

What about full aftermarket kits that chancge euro N/A cars to F/I cars....that's what I was refering to in my example. Seems like the japanese kits are producing bigger percetage gains than their euro counterparts.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

hehe..I totally forgot about that too for a second

I have turbocharged a few of my own cars in the past 10 years...non were out of the box solutions, even the ones that came in a box as a "kit".
Old 08-19-2004, 02:44 PM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gq_626
What about full aftermarket kits that chancge euro N/A cars to F/I cars....that's what I was refering to in my example. Seems like the japanese kits are producing bigger percetage gains than their euro counterparts.

A good consideration. The only Euro NA-to-FI kit I'm familiar with is the PES Tuning supercharger kit for the Audi 2.8 V6 engine. I believe it just includes a chip upgrade for the stock ECU, just like the turbo-upgrade kits for the 1.8T and 2.7T. Anyone have experience with the Dinan supercharger kits for BMWs?
Old 08-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Zoomy_1

Some people seem to forget that the "import tuner" market is mainly a bunch of kids. These people expect that the consumer of thier product DOES NOT know exactly what he is getting into.

I saw a 8 or 9 psi kit with no engine management and no tuning reqired!!!

I mean come on I've built/tuned high boost V8 on a couple of occasions, I know better than to put that sort of boost on a 10.3:1 motor. Getting large gains out of a car that came off the line with a turbo/supercharger is a totally different monster than sticking a twin turbo on a stock N/A motor and expecting it to work.
I jumped through hoops tuning a supercharged 383 that was going to be boosted from the moment I bought the block. The current (in 1989) chevy fuel injection was WAY to weak to deal with 14psi and I had to drop over $2,000 in DFI's and intake to get the thing to work. 14psi on a 383ci motor...oh yes...you go beyond power into the trust range. My stock appearing Firebird Formula ate vipers/porshes/vetts/and most grand nationals for breakfast. You know who I made the most money off of. The "ricer" crowd. I would SHOW them the supercharger and the NO2 connections and these guy would not only still run me, they would bet that thier dual stage nos kit would take my heavy dinosuar of a car down. I don't pretend to be an auto motive engineer but I know my way around.

This is my first post, I'm on this board to see if anyone has figured out how to manipulate the stock ECU because I'm getting a 350Z after I deploy next week and I want to know how far I can tweek it.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by Zoomy_1
Some people seem to forget that the "import tuner" market is mainly a bunch of kids. These people expect that the consumer of thier product DOES NOT know exactly what he is getting into.

I mean come on I've built/tuned high boost V8 on a couple of occasions, I know better than to put that sort of boost on a 10.3:1 motor. Getting large gains out of a car that came off the line with a turbo/supercharger is a totally different monster than sticking a twin turbo on a stock N/A motor and expecting it to work.
I jumped through hoops tuning a supercharged 383 that was going to be boosted from the moment I bought the block. The current (in 1989) chevy fuel injection was WAY to weak to deal with 14psi and I had to drop over $2,000 in DFI's and intake to get the thing to work. 14psi on a 383ci motor...oh yes...you go beyond power into the trust range. My stock appearing Firebird Formula ate vipers/porshes/vetts/and most grand nationals for breakfast. You know who I made the most money off of. The "ricer" crowd. I would SHOW them the supercharger and the NO2 connections and these guy would not only still run me, they would bet that thier dual stage nos kit would take my heavy dinosuar of a car down. I don't pretend to be an auto motive engineer but I know my way around.

This is my first post, I'm on this board to see if anyone has figured out how to manipulate the stock ECU because I'm getting a 350Z after I deploy next week and I want to know how far I can tweek it.
Yes, but how many "kids" can afford a new $27,000-$41,000 vehicle, then drop in another $20,000 for high power mods, brakes, wheels/tires, etc. This isn't a '94 Civic DX. I would think the tuners know who can afford to seriously tune this car. With regards to the ECU, there are several upgrades and aftermarket options......in Japan. Technosquare is the only company in the U.S. so far. It is a tough nut to crack apparently
Old 08-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Z BOY

Originally posted by Zoomy_1

Welcome! And keep your head down!

Last edited by Z BOY; 08-20-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

In terms of the FYI, ALL the Japanese firms that offer pretuned, or flashed ecu's all do som using the same exact Technosquare technology we in the US get Technosquare is the US distributor for Techtom Japan. Techtom is the company that Mine's, Impul, Esprit, etc etc etc bought software from.....it's like if Z1 were to buy the TS software and offer its own "flash" program - that is what the Japanese firms do.

Adam
Old 08-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Zoomy_1

Originally posted by Speedracer
Yes, but how many "kids" can afford a new $27,000-$41,000 vehicle, then drop in another $20,000 for high power mods, brakes, wheels/tires, etc.
I'm not trying to be a pain but c'mon 8-9 psi boost with only bigger injectors to keep detonation down......who, that knew thier hind quarters from a hole in the wall would buy that, then run it with no tuning as the website said to. I see ALOT of tricked out imports out here.....American cars are a bit rare. I've had jobless college kids bet me some decent money on a couple of occasions to go race. If I hadn't taken it off the street, I would be a rich man. Mommy and Daddy's money goes far apparently.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:39 AM
adanande

tilton fywheel, aps plenum, aps exaust with factory air guide, suspension, and headers and a gruppe m intake, throttle body , ecu reprogram. are things that will put you in M3 territory.

I already have that oil pan spacer kit and i love it, it protects you engine form oil starvation and it is harder to heat up all that oil so you perating temperature will be closer to stock for all of you fi guys and i think fi should have and oil cooler as well and an upgraded radiator. heat is bad when you have fi it throw rods and warps heads and pops pistons.
But imagein rear differential and 3.917 final drive, that m3 will be in your blindspot even if your going easy on it. but some can go like 180 so if we are virtual racing then 3.9 final drive wil only hlep till 150. but m3 are the ones with hardly anyupgradable power potential, they are maxed out baiscally, i mean it takes lots of money to get them faster. but tilton will definetly put a hurtingon them for shure, plus the smg's are sisy lala's hahaha and macpherson suxz