Notices
United Kingdom London, Manchester, Portsmouth, Wales, etc.

Telephone Connections...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 07:26 AM
rich Zed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telephone Connections...

I was in Epson today at Wilsons Nissan getting my Almera MOT'd, and raised the question on the telephone integration...

Unfortunately, it seems that news of the telephone system has not been fed down to the 350Z in house 'experts' on the Sales Floor, as Nissan had not even told them about the buttons on the Steering Wheel.

As I've just upgraded my phone to a Nokia 6310i, I now have an option of Bluetooth, as well as a standard install... I was wondering if anyone out there knows any details on how this system is intended to work yet...

yours hopefully...

rich
Old 05-22-2003, 09:20 AM
Paul UK

I can't understand why they can have telephone buttons without even having telephone integration as an option?

Perhaps i'm missing something? It would be like having switches for electric windows without having windows!

Maybe they arn't standard??

I'm sure Nissan will clraify all soon!

Paul UK
Old 05-23-2003, 12:22 PM
RickB

Paul,

My understanding is that the telephone integration is standard on UK models - like the Primera. I got a photocopy of the spec list issued to Nissan UK dealers during training in February/March and it specifically mentions the phone integration.

My dealer (Middlehurst Nissan) believes that you will just buy a module specific to the phone to connect it to the wiring loom enabling the phone functions on the steering wheel.

RickB
Old 05-24-2003, 12:34 AM
Paul UK

Originally posted by RickB
..........you will just buy a module specific to the phone to connect it to the wiring loom enabling the phone functions on the steering wheel.
Hi Rick

I'm not sure how this works, hope you can help.......

1 Where from?
2 How much?
3 Where soes it connect? Where does the phone sit?
4 Is it an easy job or does the dealer have to fit it?
5 What do the buttons on the wheel do when its all connected?
6 Do we need separate microphones?

Cheers

Paul UK
Old 05-24-2003, 01:04 AM
RickB

Paul,

This is what I was told (if I can find a decent picture of the centre console where it passes between the seats on a UK 350Z I will have a better idea). There should be a part of the trim between the seats that lifts off revealing the wiring loom phone connection - you should then be able to just plug in a module suitable for your own mobile phone. The setup is supposed to be similar to the Primera setup which is: -

'Every Primera SE and SVE will also come with standard integration for the driver's mobile phone.

Developed with Nokia, but suitable for the majority of modern mobiles, the phone is simply slotted into a cradle between the two front seats. Calls can be made or answered using the central console controls and the car's audio system.'

To answer your questions as best I can: -

1. Nissan Dealers is my guess

2. Your guess is as good as mine - I have ordered it for my Nokia phone but no word on price yet.

3. Between the seats behind the gear stick

4. Supposed to be an easy job - remove a small panel, insert the replacement panel which is the cradle and connect the wire harness and your done.

5. Dunno im afraid - if I get chance I will check out the Primeras sometime today - minimum will be answer and hangup on calls - usually you can scroll through your phone book and select someone to dial.

6. Supposed to be there already by the rearview mirror but cant be certain until I see the UK car at Goodwood.

I will try and clarify this later today as its an issue for me too.

Cheers

RickB
Old 05-24-2003, 05:37 AM
RickB

Just checked out the Primera phone integration kit and im told the 350Z version will be similar.

The replacement module sits where the cup holders on the Primera sit (next to the handbrake) - its an empty bay and in the bay sits a standard phone cradle depending on the type of phone (the one I played with was Nokia 6210/6310 type). The controls on the dashboard allow you to answer calls / cancel calls and dial calls by showing the information on the in-dash screen and using the up/down buttons to scroll through the phone book.

Dealer doesn't have a price still but estimated somewhere around the £200-250 mark for the cradle etc. or roughly the same price as on the Primera.

Since I already have the full car kit for my Nokia - all I need is the replacement interior panel for the 350Z so hopefully it should be a lot cheaper since most of the expensive bits will be my own !!

RickB