Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Early stages of HR/VHR intake manifold dyno testing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:27 AM
godmans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb
This sounds very interesting from an engineering and performance point of view.

I have never heard of a variable geometry intake manifold before. Do any currently exist?

Will the intake actually have moving pieces? I'm trying to visualize how this will work and am very curious, but I don't want to expose any of your secrets.

My guess is that manifold vacuum/pressure will somehow cause the runners to expand or contract???
Correct me if I am wrong, but the intake manifold of current BMW's v8s all have variable geometry to give a very broad power band.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by godmans
Correct me if I am wrong, but the intake manifold of current BMW's v8s all have variable geometry to give a very broad power band.
Not just V8's. All the old (M54 engined) 330's had them. The intake has what is called a "DISA" valve that would change the runner length at around 4500 RPM. The tuning aspect was pretty hard, but the basic idea was simple. I can't remember if they had 2 sets of runners that were switched between, or if it was something simpler, but that seems like an easy after market approach to try.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

OK Guys,

I gave it a shot. Unfortunatly Nissan didn't want me (or anybody else) to do this test...

Although the bolt hole patterns of the manifolds "look" the same, they are not exactly the same.

Apparently Nissan doesn't want people swapping plenums around like we did with the revup and non-revup engines.

The bolt pattern of the G37 VHR plenum is slightly offset from the 350Z HR plenum. Only 4 of 8 bolt holes lined up so it couldn't be bolted down securely enough to make a reasonable seal.

After looking at the bolt holes more closely, its apparent that they didn't "need" to change the pattern, but apparently they did it for the sole purpose of preventing VHR/HR manifold swaps.

What a bummer.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

I can try again another day but it will take special accomodations to make it seal.

BUT THERE IS GOOD NEWS TO REPORT!

The front upper lid of the 350Z plenum is dished slightly (like a kinetix plastic plenum).
This is to allow more clearance for the strut bar.

The good news is the G37 manifold.... Its also slightly dished on the top front.
Although the G37 doesn't have a strut bar, the VHR manifold is clearly designed to accomdate one!

Nissan wouldn't waste time designing a manifold to accomodate a strut bar unless they intended to use it with one.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I can try again another day but it will take special accomodations to make it seal.

BUT THERE IS GOOD NEWS TO REPORT!

The front upper lid of the 350Z plenum is dished slightly (like a kinetix plastic plenum).
This is to allow more clearance for the strut bar.

The good news is the G37 manifold.... Its also slightly dished on the top front.
Although the G37 doesn't have a strut bar, the VHR manifold is clearly designed to accomdate one!

Nissan wouldn't waste time designing a manifold to accomodate a strut bar unless they intended to use it with one.
Thats bad news for me
Old 09-09-2007, 12:45 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Any chance you could heli-arc the existing holes that don't line up and re-drill them?

It might not be cost-effective long term, but it would help you determine if it was a direction worth pursuing.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:15 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really do not understand why Nissan has such a hard time with consumers testing/swapping products.

If they didn't want us doing this then they shouldn't have put a HR motor in the G37.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by __jb
Any chance you could heli-arc the existing holes that don't line up and re-drill them?

It might not be cost-effective long term, but it would help you determine if it was a direction worth pursuing.
Can't put heat anywhere near that plenum... Its 97% plastic.

I can probably make it work long enough for a dyno test with a little ghetto modding.

It will take time though.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Can't put heat anywhere near that plenum... Its 97% plastic.

I can probably make it work long enough for a dyno test with a little ghetto modding.

It will take time though.
How much does a new intake manifold cost as a part (wholesale even?) for the VQ37HR. I would think it wouldn't be astronomical, and you should be able to drill the holes in the correct area and worst case use a bolt with a washer to tighten the manifold down for testing (so as not to ruin someones only intake manifold). I mean, maybe this is the more expensive route ... I dunno.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I really do not understand why Nissan has such a hard time with consumers testing/swapping products.

If they didn't want us doing this then they shouldn't have put a HR motor in the G37.
Prob because they don't want to make it "easy" to gain another 10-15 hp...they want you to buy newer models with newer engines.... They want to sell cars.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a new HR manifold, and it was about $260....FYI. In fact..Tony...if you have any use for it, I can loan it to you.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 AM
WalkerT
Professional

My murano has a daul stage intake on it. It is a DE engine But if you are looking to make a daul runner intake with a vacum operated valves that will open up a shorter path runner then there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Just thought that you might be able to use it as a design platform. The lack of two TB can be solved by adding another opening to the other end of the plenum section. Down side is that it is rather tall.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I just ordered a new HR manifold, and it was about $260....FYI. In fact..Tony...if you have any use for it, I can loan it to you.
Thanks for the offer Sharif but I already have one of each type.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by WalkerT
My murano has a daul stage intake on it. It is a DE engine But if you are looking to make a daul runner intake with a vacum operated valves that will open up a shorter path runner then there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Just thought that you might be able to use it as a design platform. The lack of two TB can be solved by adding another opening to the other end of the plenum section. Down side is that it is rather tall.
Thanks Walker!
I'll check this out.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 AM
WalkerT
Professional

Has anyone takin pictures of the both of them (hr35/hr37) split open? To see how they are designed or how they might be improved?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by WalkerT
Has anyone takin pictures of the both of them (hr35/hr37) split open? To see how they are designed or how they might be improved?
And for that matter, while looking does anyone have M54 intake pics (I'll call a couple shops .... Active Autowerk for starters). I think its a good idea, tuning around the change can be tricky (google "MS45 dip" and you'll find a lot of BMW stuff on it), but with the right setup this could be a great mix of bottom and top end power.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 PM
jimmyloose

IIRC yamaha uses a similar system on the more recent sportbikes they've been building...

There it is...

Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ITB's ftmfw!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Variable geometry ITBs O_O

Come on Tony, shove that square peg into the round hole already!
Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by jimmyloose
IIRC yamaha uses a similar system on the more recent sportbikes they've been building...

There it is...

that is very impressive.

Quick Reply: Early stages of HR/VHR intake manifold dyno testing.