Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Whinning noise at 3-4k rpm... any idea..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whinning noise at 3-4k rpm... any idea..?

Hey guys, ive been looking thru the forums similar to my problem but no such luck. Went in another forum but only found a thread that describes the exact problem as mine (as described below) but no solution. I took my ride to my local dealer but they have no clue on whats causing it. I was told to install my stock exhaust back coz dey said theres mayb a leak on my aftermarket exhaust . Any help or advise is appreacited.

"I'm not sure how to explain the problem better but here goes.
I crank the car (the engine is cold).
I get out on the road and begin increasing speed.
When the engine reaches the RPM range of +/- 3000 (does not matter what speed the car is going)I begin to hear a whining noise. This is not a belt. If you have ever heard a dry bearing spinning this is what it sounds like.
As the RPM increases the whine becomes higher in pitch.
Noise is primarily evident in 4th or 5th gear.
If I release the trottle and coast the noise seems to go away. Give it a little gas and she begins whining again. Give it too much gas and the noise dissipates." (post from other forum)

My ride is an 07 HR, a yr old as of this Feb. Had to postponed my coilover installation because of this

Cheers,
D
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Skorch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe your HR came with a supercharger?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:23 PM
malibuboy54

i think i read somewhere that it may have to do with dual intake setup...but i could be wrong.....i have a 07 as well and there is a slight wine as you up into the rpms......is it a very audible wine, like louder than your exhaust? cause mine is pretty slight
Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 PM
toples z

i have an 07 and dont have that problem. I just put HFC and i noticed i little rasp around the same RPM as soon as i let of the gas.... for my case it could be a leak i have to check it out. But for your case i dont think your exhaust would have anything to do with the winning noise....
Do you have a ny other mods.... i.e intake, drop in filters, clutch or flywheel, etc.? the onlt other things i would conseder other then that is the LSD if you have one, or gear box...... i heard from a few local people that have an 07 that they get a grinding sound from there gear box when they gun it (a grinding not winning) if its not any of those things then i wouldnt know what to tell you....
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM
mcarlomagno

I was told to install my stock exhaust back coz dey said theres mayb a leak on my aftermarket exhaust
don't ever use english in this form ever again.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
mikez97

dont have the problem but maybe it would be the dual intakes?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 PM
toples z

Originally Posted by mikez97
dont have the problem but maybe it would be the dual intakes?

i know plenty of guys that have the 07 with the stock dual air boxes and none of the have a problem + i put the Fujita dual intales and i dont have that winning sound or problem with noice.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 PM
syndacit

I have the same noise problem, its right after a cold start up. What kind of environment do you live in?

I dont get it when I'm at my place in Rancho Cucamonga but when I visit my parents in Orange County closer to the beach, I get it when I am driving right after a cold start up.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Skorch
Maybe your HR came with a supercharger?
Lol... oh i wish... but i wud prefer a TT setup

Cheers,
D
Old 04-03-2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
i think i read somewhere that it may have to do with dual intake setup...but i could be wrong.....i have a 07 as well and there is a slight wine as you up into the rpms......is it a very audible wine, like louder than your exhaust? cause mine is pretty slight
It is audible from inside the cabin (windows all up), my exhaust opens up during the same rpms but u can tell as it gets louder the more i accelerate. But at higher rpms say 6k, it dissapears

Cheers,
D
Old 04-03-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by toples z
i have an 07 and dont have that problem. I just put HFC and i noticed i little rasp around the same RPM as soon as i let of the gas.... for my case it could be a leak i have to check it out. But for your case i dont think your exhaust would have anything to do with the winning noise....
Do you have a ny other mods.... i.e intake, drop in filters, clutch or flywheel, etc.? the onlt other things i would conseder other then that is the LSD if you have one, or gear box...... i heard from a few local people that have an 07 that they get a grinding sound from there gear box when they gun it (a grinding not winning) if its not any of those things then i wouldnt know what to tell you....
No other mods other thanmy exhaust which is only from mid pipe n back. I definitely don hav any grinding issues with my gearbox.

Cheers,
D
Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by mcarlomagno
don't ever use english in this form ever again.
Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,
D
Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by syndacit
I have the same noise problem, its right after a cold start up. What kind of environment do you live in?

I dont get it when I'm at my place in Rancho Cucamonga but when I visit my parents in Orange County closer to the beach, I get it when I am driving right after a cold start up.
Its mostly sunny here ard 33 deg c. Anyhow, the whinning sounds comes out in any condition. I might post a video on it if I hav the time.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Cheers,
D
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
toples z

Originally Posted by syndacit

Then for your case maybe it could the moisture in the air (effecting the dual intakes i have no idea in that case....
Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Peak350

My buddy had a noise (might be completely different as its less whine more....rattle) that was at around those RPM's and it turned out to be a loose bracket on his Y-pipe. I don't want to say jack the car up for nothing, but could it be a loose bracket from the exhaust swap?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peak350
My buddy had a noise (might be completely different as its less whine more....rattle) that was at around those RPM's and it turned out to be a loose bracket on his Y-pipe. I don't want to say jack the car up for nothing, but could it be a loose bracket from the exhaust swap?
I sent to my local dealers already and im sure they checked my exhaust brackets for leaks. I'll inspect it myself with my local tuner here juz in case. Thanks man.

Cheers,
D
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by 9292
I sent to my local dealers already and im sure they checked my exhaust brackets for leaks. I'll inspect it myself with my local tuner here juz in case. Thanks man.

Cheers,
D
Yeah, like I said, whistling likely means it isn't it - but sounds are hard to describe online.

One think it *could* be is just a combination of the intakes with your exhaust.

I know a lot of people had trouble with Gruppe M intakes on BMW's when coupled with certain exhaust systems. The 2 combined produced horrible resonations that couldn't otherwise be explained...see if anyone else has that exhaust system on an 07...
Old 04-05-2008, 08:33 PM
xNeo

I also have an 07, and I used to have a whinning noise when I first got my car. My friend has a SCed G and it was a similar sound but not as dramatic. After a while it went away, I don't have it anymore. No idea what it was
Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Cadre

mine does it too. I have no idea what it is.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
M_FRESH

Mine does it aswell. I guess its normal. If you guys ever watched I am legend when hes speeding in the stang at the start of the movie the car makes the same noice, sort of like a supercharger. I pay no mind to it, seems normal.

Quick Reply: Whinning noise at 3-4k rpm... any idea..?