Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Motul if it's so bad for VQ Eng why does Nissan???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneZtech
Motul

I really want to try it but I keep reading people saying it's not good at all.

If it was really that bad why would Nissan Nismo and Autech use it in there GTR-500 and 350GT 500 cars for racing??

Is there anyone out there who is using Motul in there HR setup? that really likes it.

got a source for this hearsay? I have not really ever heard of anyone crapping on Motul
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how motul compares pricewise to mobil 1 in Europe. The reason why it is so much more could be because of the euro vs. dollar exchange. Or it could be just european pricing and lack of US discounts…
Old 05-17-2008, 07:36 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil 1 and Motul are actually almost the same price here in Europe, so it really doesn't make Motul a premium oil. 300V is a bit more expensive, but not by much.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ thanks !
Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Izb

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Mobil 1 and Motul are actually almost the same price here in Europe, so it really doesn't make Motul a premium oil. 300V is a bit more expensive, but not by much.
Price of MOTUL X-lite 0W-30 (ester-based) = price of Mobil-1 0W-40
Price of MOTUL 300V = price of MOBIL-1 0W-40 ARCTIC (more PAO than 0W-40)=price of Mobil-1 0W-40 +25%

p.s. I cannot understand, WHY 300V has not excellent additives, but a lot of cheaper oils have them...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Izb
Price of MOTUL X-lite 0W-30 (ester-based) = price of Mobil-1 0W-40
Price of MOTUL 300V = price of MOBIL-1 0W-40 ARCTIC (more PAO than 0W-40)=price of Mobil-1 0W-40 +25%

p.s. I cannot understand, WHY 300V has not excellent additives, but a lot of cheaper oils have them...
When used as a race oil for short periods of time on engines that aren't run for hundreds of thousands of miles, those additives aren't needed.

A high zinc oil might not be a bad call, Amsoil has a could of those out now.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Pirelli4906

Default Motul bad for VQ?

My HR did NOT like royal purple (noob first oil change, my apologies) and it did NOT like the top of the like castrol synthetic 5w30 however since I started using Motul 8100 and a Nismo filter expensively delivered from Z1 Motorsports with the proper copper crush gasket (thank you Z1) my oil pressure is MUCH better, my engine revs better, it gets better gas mileage, and ya know the feeling of really really knowing your daily, if something is off you can tell immediately? Got the car with 36,000; two poor oil changes for me to 40,000 then started using Motul everything and currently have ~53,000 and runs better than when I bought it. It feels faster, and I'm not saying 15 hp fast, no, but oil because it is so directly linked to the amount of friction, and as a result the cause of heat generated internally...I swear this runs better on a daily basis. Especially considering the constant wide open throttle I always give it. No other oils I've tried could take that constant racey driving style and no filter has worked for me as well as Motul and Nismo combo. I use Motul everything. ATF for the p/s; gear oil for the manual trans; their special LS (limited slip) gear oil for the rear; RBF600 [do not use this in daily---> RBF660** it is designed to be changed after races**] RBF600 is in my clutch line and in my brakes. I change my fluids quite regularly....*so yes it gets expensive*.....But it's not a corvette, or a wrx or an Altima, these aren't Grand Touring cars. These are sports cars, you don't buy them because they're convenient, or practical, or good on gas, or even because they're reliable (which...good god, this thing is GREAT &#128077 stubborn and needy and doesn't like even changing gas stations and takes her sweet time warming up....But I plan around it. It's my commuter for school, and it's ALLLLLLLL highway in southwest Florida....Yeahhhhhhh I'm not easy on it. But I'll never use anything but Motul (and Nismo) for anything in this while I own it. Why? Because Motul is worth every penny. Audi(racing), Ducati, Nismo....use this oil for a reason. The 350z is a sports car....is it a race car? No, but keep in mind stock internals (bottom end, I'll change top end out of preference) is still race capable. Don't forget that, 3,500 mile oil change AT MOST, regardless of oil or use. At my pace and use I go by pressure, mpg, texture and color, 2 oil changes ago was ~3,150, last one was ~2,800. Motul isn't meant to last long, it's meant to be better at higher temps for a longer period of time, not the longest lasting or the oil that does that the most times. Motul, if used properly, will never be the cause for something to go wrong. *Once it needs to be changed, it gets worse VERY quickly* But while it is still perfect, faster revs, better stopping distance, better clutch feel, better shifting, smoother gear changes. When I got my car it was a little soggy, brakes felt mushy, clutch seemed tired, gear changes were...eh...since these fluids, my car has it's "snap" back. Now when I shift, it feels perfect, it changes gears easier, faster, harder. I get a sense that this is how this was when it was new, it's sharper, it's more responsive, it's just.....better.

Long rant, but Motul is worth it, with the over priced Nismo filter, it's just superior in my personal experience and opinion. Hope this helps.

2007 350z HR full intake, header back exhaust, a bit of an aggressive tune, but why not? :P
Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

holy dead thread bump. glad you like it, next time you do a marathon post... break it up some, with it all together like that it makes it hard to read
Old 02-09-2016, 06:41 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirelli4906
My HR did NOT like royal purple (noob first oil change, my apologies) and it did NOT like the top of the like castrol synthetic 5w30 however since I started using Motul 8100 and a Nismo filter expensively delivered from Z1 Motorsports with the proper copper crush gasket (thank you Z1) my oil pressure is MUCH better, my engine revs better, it gets better gas mileage, and ya know the feeling of really really knowing your daily, if something is off you can tell immediately? Got the car with 36,000; two poor oil changes for me to 40,000 then started using Motul everything and currently have ~53,000 and runs better than when I bought it. It feels faster, and I'm not saying 15 hp fast, no, but oil because it is so directly linked to the amount of friction, and as a result the cause of heat generated internally...I swear this runs better on a daily basis. Especially considering the constant wide open throttle I always give it. No other oils I've tried could take that constant racey driving style and no filter has worked for me as well as Motul and Nismo combo. I use Motul everything. ATF for the p/s; gear oil for the manual trans; their special LS (limited slip) gear oil for the rear; RBF600 [do not use this in daily---> RBF660** it is designed to be changed after races**] RBF600 is in my clutch line and in my brakes. I change my fluids quite regularly....*so yes it gets expensive*.....But it's not a corvette, or a wrx or an Altima, these aren't Grand Touring cars. These are sports cars, you don't buy them because they're convenient, or practical, or good on gas, or even because they're reliable (which...good god, this thing is GREAT &#128077 stubborn and needy and doesn't like even changing gas stations and takes her sweet time warming up....But I plan around it. It's my commuter for school, and it's ALLLLLLLL highway in southwest Florida....Yeahhhhhhh I'm not easy on it. But I'll never use anything but Motul (and Nismo) for anything in this while I own it. Why? Because Motul is worth every penny. Audi(racing), Ducati, Nismo....use this oil for a reason. The 350z is a sports car....is it a race car? No, but keep in mind stock internals (bottom end, I'll change top end out of preference) is still race capable. Don't forget that, 3,500 mile oil change AT MOST, regardless of oil or use. At my pace and use I go by pressure, mpg, texture and color, 2 oil changes ago was ~3,150, last one was ~2,800. Motul isn't meant to last long, it's meant to be better at higher temps for a longer period of time, not the longest lasting or the oil that does that the most times. Motul, if used properly, will never be the cause for something to go wrong. *Once it needs to be changed, it gets worse VERY quickly* But while it is still perfect, faster revs, better stopping distance, better clutch feel, better shifting, smoother gear changes. When I got my car it was a little soggy, brakes felt mushy, clutch seemed tired, gear changes were...eh...since these fluids, my car has it's "snap" back. Now when I shift, it feels perfect, it changes gears easier, faster, harder. I get a sense that this is how this was when it was new, it's sharper, it's more responsive, it's just.....better.

Long rant, but Motul is worth it, with the over priced Nismo filter, it's just superior in my personal experience and opinion. Hope this helps.

2007 350z HR full intake, header back exhaust, a bit of an aggressive tune, but why not? :P
Anecdotal
Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

No kidding.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Pirelli4906

I'll keep that in mind should I choose to write that much again, although it probably will not be until I start or finish my engine build. Gotta build my own TT kit of course haha
Old 02-26-2016, 11:14 AM
ipodhustle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't that Nismo filter like 30 bucks shipped?

why not just get a purolator pure 1?
or a mobil 1 filter?

both are like half or less than half the price, can be found locally, filtration is great, and
are great filters for extended oil change intervals.

i use the mobil 1-105 filter. much larger than the small stock size for added filtration/flow and fits perfectly.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:15 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by ipodhustle

i use the mobil 1-105 filter. much larger than the small stock size for added filtration/flow and fits perfectly.
I've been using the M1-110 since the car was new. It's the same diameter as the M1-108 (OEM size), but is longer.

Looks like the M1-105 is the same length as OEM, but larger diameter, and the M1-104 is both longer and larger in diameter. Maybe the M1-104 is the best of the lot?