VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Injen True CAI for the HR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KA24DE
Say's who? You? And who are you again, and what have you accomplished?
Nexx contributes a lot to the site. Be careful about what you say, unless you know him personally. Strong verbage for someone that just started posting..
Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
visionz

Originally Posted by clifftrail
The HR would probably achieve 300rwhp without any breathing mods, its too bad your dyno was done after the techno reflash and not before, it doesn't help people see if any of the power increase is due to addition of the intake itself as I believe a more aggresive tune from techno is where your gains were made.
My dyno was done before and after reflash the black curve shows the before reflash and red is after. I didn't have a more agressive tune or any tune at all, since I really have no other mods. Nothing really to tune except the intakes. How would you explain then some people who's had a reflash and a tune with their exhaust mods who didn't get to 300Hp?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 AM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think 300hp to the wheels with a few mods is awesome. Great work. Time to take her to the track.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Say's who? You? And who are you again, and what have you accomplished?
im a nobody who is trying to help out fellow members make a intelligent choice on a intake on the HR. many new members who havent had as much time on the forums as i have will assume a "cold air intake" will benefit our cars but infact they have proven otherwise. ive only pointed out the obvious.

1. long tube intakes hinder performance on the VQ motors, its been true since the VQ35DE thru VQ35HR.

2. yes, even if the chances are low, there have been numerous members who have sucked water into their motors through their cold air intakes. and some to the extent of hydro locking their motors

3. the DE motors run best with a short ram or drop in. i suggest drop in's for the revup and hr motors.

4. the way our stock cars are designed, the stock intakes get "cold air" when the car is in motion.

CAI's are a tremendous waste of time and money, i'm just trying to help others who arent as informed.

i hope this info could be of help, even if it is coming from a nobody.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:16 PM
visionz

Originally Posted by Nexx
IBTF, hopefully im wrong about this product.
You might just be...but nothing wrong about being wrong every now and then. It is possible that someone figured out how to make an intake for the HR that's worth something.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:29 PM
clifftrail

The only true way to tell is doing a dyno without a flash before and after the mod at same time and location. It may make the power you claim, or it may be your engine is stronger than another HR or it may be just temp, baro, hum changes that day. Too many variables to guess. Just saying that the power shown on the dyno sheet is consistent with all the other technoflashes done and a flash does alter the tune of the vehicle.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:35 PM
A.H

Well I after i get my headers installed im going to technosquare to see the differnece over my last dyno. Then after i get the numbers with the headers I am going to have technosquare install these intakes and redyno right away. So i'll get dynos to see how much power this gained over the stillen long tube intake, not stock. But before all this happens my goddamn coilovers need to arrive from germany to GTM so i can finally get my car back
Old 06-15-2008, 08:50 PM
visionz

Originally Posted by clifftrail
The only true way to tell is doing a dyno without a flash before and after the mod at same time and location. It may make the power you claim, or it may be your engine is stronger than another HR or it may be just temp, baro, hum changes that day. Too many variables to guess. Just saying that the power shown on the dyno sheet is consistent with all the other technoflashes done and a flash does alter the tune of the vehicle.
You have to remember other Technosquare flashes done was with cars that has an aftermarket exhaust with both stock and other aftermarket intakes tested. A couple of which went the extra mile and did a dyno tune with their reflash, which I didn't do, to achieve 300hp.

I am not claiming that my Intakes made power at all. I wouldn't do such a thing, especially if I don't have numbers to back it up. I'm just sharing what I made on the dyno before and after the reflash which showed that I had a little more power than others before the reflash and gained not that much after but still made over 300hp when others did not. Maybe I do have an HR that has more power; that mine is just special than other HRs out there. I'll take it.

I really don't have anything more to gain with other people buying the Injen CAI. Only thing I gained was a nice looking intake that sounds awesome for nothing, just for showing it to the public on my car at the Stillen event. Injen did not ask me to do a write up on it nor talk about my experience with it. Just show up at the event with my ride with intakes on, that's all. It would be great If I was the only one in the planet who has them.

I'm just stoked that my ride has a nice looking, awesome sounding intake, that now revs up to 8000 RPM(after the reflash), and topped over 300HP.

Last edited by visionz; 06-15-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
im a nobody who is trying to help out fellow members make a intelligent choice on a intake on the HR. many new members who havent had as much time on the forums as i have will assume a "cold air intake" will benefit our cars but infact they have proven otherwise. ive only pointed out the obvious.

1. long tube intakes hinder performance on the VQ motors, its been true since the VQ35DE thru VQ35HR.

2. yes, even if the chances are low, there have been numerous members who have sucked water into their motors through their cold air intakes. and some to the extent of hydro locking their motors

3. the DE motors run best with a short ram or drop in. i suggest drop in's for the revup and hr motors.

4. the way our stock cars are designed, the stock intakes get "cold air" when the car is in motion.

CAI's are a tremendous waste of time and money, i'm just trying to help others who arent as informed.

i hope this info could be of help, even if it is coming from a nobody.
And I'm an ******* here to tell you that you are incorrect.
Find me one race team that uses the stock intake.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:01 AM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you extrapolate that the results from using a CAI are positive, because race teams use them?? I think you got deceived by all the ads on the net. The HR in fact will not benefit a lot from intakes. I am skeptical that It will lose whp (probably cause i have JWT pops). However, the point is that spending $500 + installation, = couple of whp, and a risk of your motor sucking water.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:10 AM
johnnyblaze007

VisionZ, what did your car dyno at stock? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 AM
GodSendsDeath

phew...id rather get a 2nd video card for my new desktop lol.

Nexx is right save your money for a exhaust. Unless you really must spend some money go with the Nisimo pair they look very clean and stock like.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:18 AM
KManZ
Banned

Chill out... Who gives a crap if a "race team" uses an aftermarket intake? Dyno results have repeatedly proven that aftermarket intakes provide no gain for the HR engine. The HR dual intakes are a great design from factory, and I for one am happy that Nissan saved owners from having to buy an aftermarket intake to eliminate a poorly designed, restrictive stock box to FREE UP HORSEPOWER THAT WAS ALREADY THERE.

All of these "race teams" are modifying cars which have restrictive intakes from factory (Hondas are the prime cars which come to mind), so changing out the intake is a no-brainer. I conjecture that most people are still stuck in the mindset that the intake and exhaust are restrictive and naturally must be modded to free up as much HP as possible. I am pretty sure there isn't a race team out there that won't mod the intake as one of the first steps in a build, but empirical evidence proves that it is not necessary for the HR motor, and as such will only provide a sound bump.

Last edited by KManZ; 06-16-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:10 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I'm an ******* here who needs to learn more about the VQ platform before I post again.
Fixed.

I will respectfully disagree though with Nexx regarding the risks of water injestion & hydrolock with these Injen intakes. Judging from the pics in the OP, these intakes are mounted up high near the top of the radiator. This placement of the filter elements is much different than the typical CAI setups we have seen for the DE motor.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 AM
A.H

ok so I contacted multiple vendors including Adam at Z1 and Scott at Stillen and both have told me that these intakes have not been released yet and stillen told me that they have been getting many calls for these intakes due to a false rumor on the forums. He told me another two weeks. I thought that if something was released then that means its in stock at vendors ready to sell??
Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 AM
WalkerT
Professional

Well here is my .2 cents.

There are a lot of factors that a dyno can not tell you. They are a good tool if used correctly and they can tell you of a problem ... but only to a point. The effects of 50-80 mph air on the front of a car and going into an opening on your front bumper is hard to duplicate on a dyno. So does the Injen look like a good design yes and no. Yes because it does place the filter element in a cooler place than a in engine bay open filter intake does. The down side is the longer tube. Here is were it can get tricky because a longer intake tube can improve residence and increase torque. This usually causes a decrease in horse power because of the extra volume that has to be moved.

One thing I think most people miss with the stock intakes that makes them so damn good. There is a high pressure area right were the stock intakes suck from. The radiators will only let so much air in at a time and the air builds up right in front of the radiator with no were to go. If you look at the under side of your hood you will see a black circular seal. This seal in there to prevent the air from flowing over the rad support and across the top of the engine. The only other passage for the air is into the two openings for the stock intakes. This will actually create a ram effect above a particular speed. If you look between you bumper and Rad you will see that Nissan has done a good job in managing the air and making sure flows into the intakes and not into the fender wells or around the Rad. This is the problem with open air filters in the engine bay. You loose the pressure and the effect of the air management. Yes the air will blow a certain amount of ambient air on the intake but not the same as stock.

Back to the Injen design they put the filters in a great place but the air will bleed around the tube and into the engine bay and not build pressure in the intake as the stock one will. Please note that we are talking about a small amount of pressure but even a same amount of PSI will make a difference.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:35 AM
WalkerT
Professional

repeated post above

Last edited by WalkerT; 06-16-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 AM
A.H

Last edited by A.H; 06-16-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 AM
A.H

Last edited by A.H; 06-16-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:46 AM
A.H

My bad iPhone made me post 4 identical posts.

Last edited by A.H; 06-16-2008 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Injen True CAI for the HR!!!