Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Engine wont let me Rev past 2200 RPM techs are stumped!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM
staticfive05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine wont let me Rev past 2200 RPM techs are stumped!!!!!

well... after not driving my car for a few days because of the rain, i drove it yesterday let it warm up like i do all the time before moving no problems...
today was different, i started my car up to warm up while i got the mail, got in the car and drove away..

everything was completely fine, i went to the bank and the bank faces foothill blvd AKA route 66 in rancho cucamonga CA, anway i saw a 370z in yellow! and i thought to myself thats pretty sweet buy why yellow, anway while i backed out of the parking spot a quarter of the way out it stalled, and i was like wow thats what i get for something smack! but i never stall hmmm... so i turned down my radio and backed up but it studdered, and so i thought to myself geez i suck at driving after not driving for a few days.

so i put it in first when i get out and my car chokes out at about 2300 to 2500 rpms, and im thinking to my self ****... im going to get into an accident if i take this thing home with this problem... we'll i parked my car and tried to rev in neutral same problem and when its in neutral the rev drops almost to 0 and back up eratically, so i get out and pop the hood to see if my sensor is connected properly and it is, and my engine is clean and what not... so i drive my car to the dealership its all downhill and shift my gears before 2grand to keep it from choking... i finnaly got it there...

i had this same problem once before in my VW GTI vr6 and it was the "mass air flow sensor" and i had mentioned it to the tech , i dont know much about cars but i take care of mine for sure, i do my oil changes every 1500 miles with mobile 1 senthetic, and my car is completely stock no intake, no rims, no tint even and i ALWAYS put 91 octane in it from mobile or chevron.

we'll few hours later which is tonight the tech calls me and tells me
man.. we put new intake on it, replaced the sensors, adjusted the idle, reset the computer, and we cant get it to stop doing what its doing, we need to call nissan tommrow and see what we can do, and we have our master tech doing the work on it. so its something weve never seen before.

also i forgot to mention the carbon minoxide smell seems a bit stronger could it be my catalitic converter being to hot melting insides becuase of the high octane?? that also happened on my GTI.

if anyone knows please respond!!!!

edit..

its a 2007 couple base with 10200 miles on it, and is never redlined and always taken care of

Last edited by staticfive05; 02-10-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: year and mileage
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
FastZ33

i had a similar problem

everygear wont go past 2500rpm

i drove the car home gettin in like 5th gear doin 35 lol

parked the car over night, then started it back up in the monring and it was fine

try doing a ecu reset
Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 AM
10-E-C-350Z

I had the same problem shortly after installing a K&N intake on my old 04 maxima. It was accompanied by a check tans/check engine light. It was in limp mode, just like yours is. I changed the intake, disconnected the battery overnight and trie it again the next day. It went out of limp mode, but stored the code, so I drove around with my CEL lit up for a couple of days until it turned itself off.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did it smell like sulfur? I wonder if you have a faulty/ messed up cat. Honestly 1500 miles on mobil 1 synthetic is mega overkill. Your just throwing your money away.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:23 AM
HKS-Z
Backroad Pro

this is why i got on the forum.last night similar deal.My gf was driving(that always makes it sound worse),anyway it was raining,she was driving it a good ten minutes through town.stoped at a redlight,then stalled it when it turned green.Started the car,turned and when she put it in 2nd it hit fuel cut at 2.5.everygear.I was like WHAT YOU DO.lol,then i rememberd i;ve heard of this happening before.i think i scared the **** outta her.i got her to pull over and i noticed it was idleing way high and running super rich to where it would back fire on down shifts,but no cel.I couldnt remember the ecu reset,so i figured i would stop and take off the neg terminal..but wheres a 10 mill when you need one.i turned the key on then off a few times,the started it.same thing.so i shut it off again.let it sit while a smoked a ciggrette scratched my head,and i figured on driving it down the street to advanced so i could borrow a wrench.started the car..back to normal..i have no idea.never happend before.

Last edited by HKS-Z; 02-11-2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 AM
rps13drift

Its most likely a problem with your maf. 240sx's and other nissans usualy experience those symthoms you described when there is a problem with you mass airflow sensor
Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 AM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 10-E-C-350Z
I had the same problem shortly after installing a K&N intake on my old 04 maxima. It was accompanied by a check tans/check engine light. It was in limp mode, just like yours is. I changed the intake, disconnected the battery overnight and trie it again the next day. It went out of limp mode, but stored the code, so I drove around with my CEL lit up for a couple of days until it turned itself off.
K&N Intakes are too oily a lot of the time and get the MAF sensor all oily f'king it up.

I would suggest 1) clean your MAF. 2) reset your ECU

If that doesn't work look into the cat's like other's have said, but I don't see how a messed up catalytic converter could put your car in limp mode. Afterall our cars can run test pipes...
Old 02-11-2009, 06:58 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i didnt mean limp mode. Ive seen car and trucks where for whatever reason a clogged cat seems to choke the car and it wont rev. Sounds like a long shot with his mileage, but just a suggestion. Sounds like the maf is more likely after the last post.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Zeebra

At least its under warranty... keep us posted as to what the result is.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
savvy

I had something similar on my 05 base. Started my car up to go to work, drove down the street and first and 2nd gear just stopped around 2.5k even if I floored the pedal. I turned the car off and turn it back on and it drove fine but i threw a CEL. It turned out to be a bad throttle body sensor.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a throttle body problem.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM
PRuane

Sounds like what happened to my car when my intake got wet from the rain.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
staticfive05

well my car is completely stock, and never had intake on it, also it doesn't go away when you turn off the car and wait, its like a permanent thing, i noticed a lot of people talking about when you first start the car then it goes away, but it doesn't. and its 3:36 pm in ca and still no call from the dealership...

i hate that dealership even though the techs are supposed to be good and they are gtr certified last time it was there they broke my stock side skirt, opened a car door into my front fender on the creased part, and then scratched up my front bumper.... i do my oil changes at the dealership i work at so i get a sweet deal they just charge me for the oil.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Pat Bateman

Im not sure if this is the solution, but I regularly try to redline my engine and change my oil at intervals exceeding 1500 miles. I guess its preventative maintenance.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:50 PM
2007 Z

Originally Posted by bryan@Z1
Sounds like a throttle body problem.
+1.

Had the exact same problem on my 99' SS once. It went away after I turned the car off and back on twice, but still took it to the dealer. Warranty repair at dealer and they said it was a fault in the throttle body. Replaced it.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
JL350ZSD

I'm with 0jiggy0, sounds like it could be a clogged cat. I had the same symptoms on my old 95 Camaro, wouldn't rev past 2500 rpms and sputtered like crazy. Replaced the cat and everything was fine. Its not common for cats to go bad at only 10,000 miles, but not at all impossible. Good luck
Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Xendric

I remember having the same problem in my 2002 Porsche Boxster S.
They diagnosed a faulty MAF sensor at first, which was replaced, but the problem remained.
After a very detailed search in every corner of the engine bay, we found out that the induction had sucked in a 3x2" paper which had settled right on the outside of the MAF sensor.

I know it's silly, but I'd try the MAF before anything. The symptoms are exactly the same. I doubt you can clean it, if it's gone, it's gone. It might seem perfectly clean, but it's nanocircuits in there and you can't see the damage.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM
mysmokenz

I had the same problem! found the number six spark plug broke! The car would run great and then stumble really bad about 2,200 rpm. New plugs-runs great now!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM
danieluser

Throttle Position Sensor?

they gave lots of problems to 240 owners if they were lose, or disconnected
Old 02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
danieluser

Throttle Position Sensor?

they gave lots of problems to 240 owners if they were lose, or disconnected

Quick Reply: Engine wont let me Rev past 2200 RPM techs are stumped!!!!!