Old 09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
bblack_91240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Buy that **** man! Be the test mule haha
Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 AM
G35_Guy

Originally Posted by stealthz
yes I've read that before but it was posted before the new hr transmission came out which shares the same bellhousing pattern as the vq40... the vq40 and the hr share the same bare blocks... thats why the deck hieght is a little taller,

does anyone know this 110% for sure? HR blocks and VQ40DE share the same bolt patter? I've seen on numerous thread that they do, but....

The reason I'm asking is I've got a 08 350Z tranny (VQ35HR) and a VQ40DE motor sitting at the shop right now and the bell housing diamaters are about 2" off. 16" vs 18" roughly. I may of got a wrong part shipped...but both companies say correct parts were shipped.

are the manual and automatic bolt patterns the same?
the tranny is 6MT
the motor is from an auto, but was gonna convert. thought bolt patterns would be same either way...humm

I hope I didn't get

If I did, I may have a 08 350Z (VQ35HR) 6MT tranny with 243 miles on it and a 08 VQ40DE auto with 15k miles out of a Pathy for sale

Last edited by G35_Guy; 10-08-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:37 PM
stealthz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_Guy
does anyone know this 110% for sure? HR blocks and VQ40DE share the same bolt patter? I've seen on numerous thread that they do, but....

The reason I'm asking is I've got a 08 350Z tranny (VQ35HR) and a VQ40DE motor sitting at the shop right now and the bell housing diamaters are about 2" off. 16" vs 18" roughly. I may of got a wrong part shipped...but both companies say correct parts were shipped.

are the manual and automatic bolt patterns the same?
the tranny is 6MT
the motor is from an auto, but was gonna convert. thought bolt patterns would be same either way...humm

I hope I didn't get

If I did, I may have a 08 350Z (VQ35HR) 6MT tranny with 243 miles on it and a 08 VQ40DE auto with 15k miles out of a Pathy for sale
my original statement might be wrong but maybe this thread can help you out... it's stating that the 05 xterra came with a 6speed that is the same as the 350z's six speed just with a different bellhousing design, that you would be able to use... so maybe you could exchange your tranny for the 05 xterras and try that... http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=130223, my350z might block this link but it looks like you already posted on that thread... so you can't give up just yet, this has to be done lol, If you do want to abandon the idea though PM me a price for the long block...

**and a simple way to tell if you do in fact have an hr tranny or a de is... the DE tranny has a notch for the starter on both sides of the bellhousing where the hr tranny only has it on one side...

Last edited by stealthz; 10-09-2009 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EJohn (11-17-2023)
Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 AM
rdrfronty

Originally Posted by Lakeside
The Stillen Supercharger for the VQ40 is available.

They are claiming around a 97 HP gain with 83 lbs of Tq increase! Thats pretty tempting for me to get for my Frontier! Not sure how the pretuned system would run if the truck had a Gibson exhuast & UpRev tuned. Hmmmmm.... My frontier is completely stock so far. I haven't seen any threads on http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/

I'll have to double check now.
Don't bother with stillen. It's supercharger for the Vq40 sucks. Nobody has gotten anywhere close to their HP claims. Uprev helps it, but its still lacking.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 AM
G35_Guy

Originally Posted by stealthz
my original statement might be wrong but maybe this thread can help you out... it's stating that the 05 xterra came with a 6speed that is the same as the 350z's six speed just with a different bellhousing design, that you would be able to use... so maybe you could exchange your tranny for the 05 xterras and try that... http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=130223, my350z might block this link but it looks like you already posted on that thread... so you can't give up just yet, this has to be done lol, If you do want to abandon the idea though PM me a price for the long block...

**and a simple way to tell if you do in fact have an hr tranny or a de is... the DE tranny has a notch for the starter on both sides of the bellhousing where the hr tranny only has it on one side...
Thanks for the input stealthz. It wasn't just you, didn't mean for it to sound like I was doubting you or calling you out. I knew of at least 15+ other people, some even "Nissan Techs" who swore the VQ40DE block would bolt up to a HR tranny.

I've definitely got a HR tranny (edit: DE tranny, the ****'s sent me the wrong part). I went ahead and just got a VQ35DE for my swap (replacing cause rod knock in current). So, now I have a motor and tranny for sale, both fully functional out of running vehicles and tested/ran good. the VQ40DE block and HR tranny do bolt up, but I was sent the wrong tranny. (note to self, but from local or driving distance salvage yards so item can be checked before pickup)

I'll get some pics of the stuff for sale when I get a chance, may be a week or two though. They're about 2hrs away from me at this time.

Last edited by G35_Guy; 02-17-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
nissansource

Change the bellhousing with the MT frontier
Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 PM
stealthz

Originally Posted by nissansource
yea I was really hoping he would try the xterra transmission out, before giving up.... dang lol buy g35guy shot me a PM for a price for the vq40...
Old 11-01-2009, 04:46 PM
G35_Guy

Originally Posted by nissansource
If the motor doesn't sell, I just may keep the VQ40DE and sell the HR tranny then buy a frontier/parthy/xterra tranny! Not in my G tho, but a 350Z track/project car. I still think the VQ40DE could be a monster in something! throw in some diff cams (interchangeable with the VQ35DE cams) and just a low/safe boost turbo system could kick some major A$$

Deep down, I'm almost wishing I can't sell the motor :P but I know I need to

Oh well.
Thanks again for the input.
The VQ40DE project will be put on hold...for now.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM
archangel72

Any updates?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I was thinking about something like this the other day. Do you think the VK50DE from the FX50 could fit in the Z/G? Since the FX comes in both a 3.7 and 5.0 they've gotta fit pretty similarly. Unless they completly redesigned the FX engine bay for the 5.0.

What do you think?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM
ace32x

do it midz ^

Last edited by ace32x; 09-17-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Too poor to start a project like this.

Just giving ideas to people.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:25 AM
idrive_MD

I've come across a VQ40de from an 05 Frontier with 90k miles on it, a bit of rod knock under throttle for $300...think I should pull the trigger?

If I put it in the G35 I will do a bit of bottom end work towards an NA build that will take a long while to do due to budgeting and such. My other option is freshen up the bottom end with some new OEM parts and see about putting this into my 89 Volvo wagon with an auto trans (boring and wasteful I know).
Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
johnwigs

this thread is irrational and a waste of time...
1. HR heads will bolt up to VQ40... but will overheat, cooling route is differnt (DE to HR)
2. deck height is WAY taller than an HR (bellhousings are different too)
3. modify block to re route coolant... lower intake manifold will need to be custom... since the deck height is taller making the heads further apart nothing will fit
4. rear coolant outlet pipe... will need to be custom... nothing fits
5. rotating mass is enormous in a VQ40 will affect your thottle response

so it is dead... can't be done feasibly
Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by johnwigs
this thread is irrational and a waste of time...
1. HR heads will bolt up to VQ40... but will overheat, cooling route is differnt (DE to HR)
2. deck height is WAY taller than an HR (bellhousings are different too)
3. modify block to re route coolant... lower intake manifold will need to be custom... since the deck height is taller making the heads further apart nothing will fit
4. rear coolant outlet pipe... will need to be custom... nothing fits
5. rotating mass is enormous in a VQ40 will affect your thottle response

so it is dead... can't be done feasibly
1. I have a 04 G35 with a DE, so I wouldn't switch out heads anyway.
2. Deck height is tall, but not really an issue I think.
3. I shouldn't need to do this in a DE. Custom lower intake manifold wouldn't be too difficult with my resources and the people I know.
4. Just custom cooling lines?
5. If I put it in my G35 it would get forged pistons (apparently Wossner is the only company that makes VQ40 specific pistons) and new main bearings and throw some ARP hardware at the bottom end. I can probably leave the OEM rods in place and I could look into having the crank trimmed and balanced.

6.Bell housing issues: lots of conflicting info out there, but last I saw from someone who attempted it was the original trans he got was a DE 6spd by mistake. Worst case scenario, get a manual 6spd from the VQ40.

7. If I don't put it in my G35, it will be restored to stock like condition and go in my volvo wagon.

I figure if people can get a LS engine to work in our cars, why would it be so difficult to get a VQ40 to work. HR Block technology with VQ35DE heads seems like the right stuff for a DE chassis. The biggest hiccups I see are with the intake manifold (but not really) and with the exhaust plumbing which is a huge unknown really.

The only thing I can say is don't expect me to have the answers in 6-months because if I go down this route it will be a slow process. Best case scenario I could maybe have the block rebuilt in 8-12 months and thats on the fast side of things. Only way it would be rebuilt quicker is if I put it in my volvo because replacing the bearings and such isn't that expensive or difficult, beyond that I would just do some new engine maintenance parts and keep it stock because the Volvo is just going to be a street cruiser.

In the G35 = more engine work, less fab and reflash ecu.
In the Volvo = less engine work, more fab and electrical to work out.

Either way I think my volvo might get a VQ engine, because if I put the VQ40 in my G35 I'll have a perfectly good VQ35 just sitting there without a home.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
KhanMan

A bit related, but would any advantage to putting the 5speed(it has that faux manual mode right?) of the VQ40 on a VQ35de motor?
Old 10-15-2011, 03:33 PM
idrive_MD

so I may have stumbled on something that will make this swap a difficult ordeal (regardless of which Z/G car it goes into). The VQ40de is a rear sump where as all of our engines are front sump. Seems to me this big detail will require too much work to make it happen...I am still buying this local VQ40 I found and I think it will find a home in my volvo, or at least my engine stand for a good while.