Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Idle issues when cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:39 PM
IvoryPearl07g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SUBSCRIBED!
been fighting with this issue for a year now....i kept wanting to say its camshaft position sensors, but i replaced them with known working ones, and it didnt solve it. i cleaned all the electrical connectors/sensors i could find. checked battery and alternator outputs independently. took off grounding system. checked o2 sensors. replaced cats with GTM test pipes. now i have the headers off as i am looking for exhaust leaks...cant find any.

i have considered selling the car three times now but am hoping the dealers issue a TSB once a resolution is found since stock vq35hr's have this issue too.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa i thought i was the only one with this problem..

so I have had this problem for as long back as i can remember.. it does not occur in the morning when I start the car.. but after sitting in my campus parking lot for hours i come back to start up the engine and occasionally it idles very weird - almost like something is stuck in my exhaust system and the engine is choking. Just a few weeks ago i was experimenting with the problem to see why its doing it.. well I haven't found a diagnosis but I did realize that when (sitting in neutral clutch not engaged) i apply throttle slowly and consistently and once i hit 1900rpm it's as if though it's hitting a rev limiter.. and if i put it into gear and start driving my car starts shaking violently and the exhaust sounds different and nasty.. but as soon as i rev past 1900rpm it sounds normal, but once i shift into second and i'm back around 1900 rpm it sounds nasty weird again..BUT after driving for approximately 3 minutes the car runs perfect as if nothing ever happened..

it may have something to do with the ecu and test pipes... this is another thing pushing me to take off my test pipes..
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
srsairbags

same here . . .
Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Sooner350

Originally Posted by singh

so I have had this problem for as long back as i can remember.. it does not occur in the morning when I start the car.. but after sitting in my campus parking lot for hours i come back to start up the engine and occasionally it idles very weird - almost like something is stuck in my exhaust system and the engine is choking. Just a few weeks ago i was experimenting with the problem to see why its doing it.. well I haven't found a diagnosis but I did realize that when (sitting in neutral clutch not engaged) i apply throttle slowly and consistently and once i hit 1900rpm it's as if though it's hitting a rev limiter.. and if i put it into gear and start driving my car starts shaking violently and the exhaust sounds different and nasty.. but as soon as i rev past 1900rpm it sounds normal, but once i shift into second and i'm back around 1900 rpm it sounds nasty weird again..BUT after driving for approximately 3 minutes the car runs perfect as if nothing ever happened..

it may have something to do with the ecu and test pipes... this is another thing pushing me to take off my test pipes..

Check out this thread, https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/3078...g-warm-up.html You're definitely not the only one.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
MM'08_350Z

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

When that problem occurs does your Oil Pressure guage sky rocket to 120 psi?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:53 PM
srsairbags

. . but after sitting in my campus parking lot for hours i come back to start up the engine and occasionally it idles very weird - almost like something is stuck in my exhaust system and the engine is choking. . . . . . i apply throttle slowly and consistently and once i hit 1900rpm it's as if though it's hitting a rev limiter. . . .
i have had this issue with stock cats, hfc, etc etc . . soo be absolutely sure the TP are not the culprit. . (actually they may ease the issue). . . it happened to me tooo just like you said . . and it happens no matter if the clutch is engaged or not . . . . car in neutral or not . . .just like hitting rev limiter at 2k after 5 mins of idle or low rev warmup . . . im thinking ECU mapping issue
Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
singh

okay so test pipes are not the problem. Thanks for the feedback.

It does this every single day. But the weird thing is that it does not do it in the morning when I leave my house. It only does it on my way back from work/school.

So no one has been able to pin point the problem? In the thread someone posted up pics of coolant leaking onto the exhaust manifolds.. but if leaking coolant is the case then wouldn't we eventually start running low on coolant and throw a CEL?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 AM
srsairbags

Question

okay so test pipes are not the problem. Thanks for the feedback.

It does this every single day. But the weird thing is that it does not do it in the morning when I leave my house. It only does it on my way back from work/school.

So no one has been able to pin point the problem? In the thread someone posted up pics of coolant leaking onto the exhaust manifolds.. but if leaking coolant is the case then wouldn't we eventually start running low on coolant and throw a CEL?
my Z is a DD now since my other car broke down . . . and the sad part is that it does it in the mornings too, but the issue is much milder and fades away quicker than the afternoons/evenings (im in Fl btw) . . . . actually as im typing this . . im thinking . . . can the injectors be a contributing factor ?

cause i had an old car which had an issue with injectors getting warm . . losing resistance and robbing good injectors of the open voltage, starving the engine of fuel. . . . . anyone having changed injectors and issue still existing ? ? ? do HR and DE have the same injectors? ? ?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 AM
hellsoldiers08

Would a injector cleaner could solve the problem?? Even if a injector was going bad we would get a cell light right??
Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 PM
srsairbags

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
Would a injector cleaner could solve the problem?? Even if a injector was going bad we would get a cell light right??
i use a can of techron every 1500 miles and always use chevron premium 93 gas. . . have been using since i bought my car . . . issue still exits . .
Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM
hellsoldiers08

Hmm well see I had my car sense day 1 and this did happen toll I got my final tune and during that time I changed oil from role purple syn to castoral synthec both were 5w-30. I'm about to change my oil today to amsoil 5-40 to see if it needs a lil thicker oil to be running right. Sorry for all the bad grammar, I'm using my iPhone and my fingers like me to misspell things and ya
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
armando325

I'm having the same problem. Once I left it in idle without revving and the rpms dropped to 0 and it turned off. My only mod is a Borla TD exhaust.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/3078...g-warm-up.html

/Thread