Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

? about oil. going away from role purple

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? about oil. going away from role purple

So i did a search on oil, oil change, and best oil. I got lucky with the best oil search. I found in that thread a link to to another thread on explaining oil. I read it and boy i got confused :/. A guy in my local area (solo. who use to own a Z) he had put up some names of oils that i guess he would use. The question is i dont know which one to choose or if there is one better for certain conditions. like tracking or just street driving. I occasionally do drag and going to be soon doing autocross, so i would guess the oil should be able to hold up more for that.The guy said in the thread about tbm and how the acids and base ratio varies depend on what the oil is made for.

LInks:
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...-for-350z.html

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-and-info.html

SOLO-350Z
Z32TT Soon

On a serious side of things. Amsoil, Redline, Penzoil Platnum, M1 are the best oils.

Stay away from RP If you care about your car.
SOLD: 2007 NISMO 350Z #0044 Silver Alloy

so out of the oils he named which is a good one to choose for my suited needs?

Also the reason why im going away from role purple because i heard about how there is a Walmart oil that was the same as role purple and so on. I cant fully remember the details :/, which i know is bad. i have used role purple sense 12k and im about to go onto 23k (and yes i did change the oil every 3 to 4k miles).

Im sorry if this thread is kinda confusing because honestly im confused about it myself I also know that i could get flamed and that is a risk im willing to take in this thread. If anyone could help me out picking a oil that would suit my needs (very little drag, future autox, spiriting driving and that can with stand the texas heat I would great apprecaite it.

Last edited by hellsoldiers08; 03-26-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's Royal Purple
Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

green is good. red is bad. no color is average. you make the call. if you are concerned enough, perhaps you should contact blackstone and purchase an oil testing kit, ship it off to them after oil changes, to ensure your car and environment get along well with your oil choice?

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 03-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Lakeside

Sorry No Royal gerbil ahem purple for me.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 AM
FinlyZd

Royal purple is a very good oil. Iused it in my girls 07 z and changed it every 6k.
Its just hard to justify the cost since you get similar result with anyover counter synthetic at walmart. I guess its just a matter of perference . Amsoil don't buy it unless you plan on extending oci's. Really anything will work. Also don't ever change out synthetic every 3k what a waste. Just because you track it or drive it hard as some say doesn't mean the oil is bad. Send in a used oil analysis to see how the oils doing.

Also I use redline just becuz I get a deep discount. Very good oil I want to push it to 10k.

Bump up to a 5w40 for those texas summer if it really gets how. try rotella 5w40 very stout oil or mobil 0w40

Last edited by FinlyZd; 03-30-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also thought this was odd, it shows the cheapest, Shell brand oil, protects better than many other top dollar brands. I know that $ don't equal protection but I think there is more that needs to be stated. Something like the Rotella Shell brand is formulated to hold up and perform well under normal circumstances, however something like Amsoil or Royal Purple were designed and formulated for a tougher task. This will almost always force a company to trade one range for another. Either it protects well under high stress or it protects well under normal stress.

ehh.. just my

P.S. Don't get it twisted, Shell is a top notch oil provider, until recently I didn't realize they actually have worked hand and hand with Ferrari F1 for decades. Something has to come of that and that probably has something to do with the wear rating.