Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Deciding between stage 2 GTM or Greddy TT kit for the HR

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Deciding between stage 2 GTM or Greddy TT kit for the HR

By the end of the month I should be in the final process of going FI for the Z. Im either going with the Stage 2 GTM kit or the Greddy TT kit for the HR. The upside is that the GTM kit makes more power and is cheaper but the Greddy is a safer bet. This is going on a stock block. I know there aren't too many TT-HR Zs out there, anyone want to chime in? Im leaning toward the GTM kit because for the money, I like the idea of having roughly 500whp.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do you think the greddy is a "safer bet"?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Bumpinjeep

The shop that I am going throuh has more experience with Greddy and has more backing in case something goes wrong. Greddy/Trust is a pretty good size company. However, the whp with the kit is around 420. I know the GTM is a bit higher than that.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
warmmilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you getting it installed

greddy makes around 420whp on base boost, you can crank up the boost. iirc the greddy press release said that the turbo's are good for 700 whp.

as far as "backing" goes, greddy is kinda known for crappy customer service... unless they've improved recently...

i'd go with the gtm cause of the ball bearing turbo's if nothing else

... and i like gtm's intercooler design better... and they use tial bov's and wastegates if you get open dump, both better than greddy units

Last edited by warmmilk; 04-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Goo$e
Banned

I've been in your shoes and warmmilk is right on the turbo thing. I guess weigh your options and make a final decision. You do make a good point about the "shop" having better experience with GReddy kits. Tough call.

Either way dude, your going FI...and that equals BADA$$.

Last edited by Goo$e; 04-14-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
ATL_Red_G35

My advise is to go with the kit that your shop feels the most comfortable doing/using and with backup/warranty. Don't go with something the shop doesn't like and if something F-ed up, you are on your own.

Both are good kits with their pros and cons and have good potentials for what you need.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Go with the Greddy not just because they sponsor but because Greddy makes quality stuff. Your power output is determined by many factors other than who made the kit. The HR kit with 2 20g's can make over 1000hp. Since you are stock block be careful running it at the uper end of 500rwhp. For reliability on a non-built HR I would keep it right at the 500hp mark. There are many people running close to 600rwhp on stock internal and have for awhile but if you do, don't get upset if you blow it up. 500rwhp is more than enough for street and track.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are the greddy's watercooled? I thought I heard they weren't which is not that kind of sucks.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Bumpinjeep

Thanks for the advice fellas. Im leaning towards the GTM kit. I'll be happy at a little over 500whp. I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Goo$e
Banned

Can't wait to here your decision
Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
MDHRZ

The Greddy Kit is cheaper than the GTM kit. I went with the Greddy kit because of fitment issues with the GTM kit. Who said the GTM kit makes more power? The Greddy kit is capable of well over 500whp.

Keep an eye out for my build thread. Still waiting for some parts.

Last edited by MDHRZ; 04-14-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
warmmilk

^cheaper card doesn't work, once everything is said and done, price difference will be negligible

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
Thanks for the advice fellas. Im leaning towards the GTM kit. I'll be happy at a little over 500whp. I'll keep you updated.
who's doing the install?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:12 PM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by warmmilk
^cheaper card doesn't work, once everything is said and done, price difference will be negligible
I know. The Greddy tuner kit is cheaper than the GTM tuner kit if that's all you were to buy though. I've almost doubled the price of the kit by adding all the accessories and supporting mods that I've purchased with it. Like I said, I only went with the Greddy kit because of fitment issues with the GTM kit.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greddy TT FTW..
Old 04-14-2010, 06:29 PM
RoTors350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
...Who said the GTM kit makes more power? The Greddy kit is capable of well over 500whp.
OP mentioned Stage 2 for GTM kits and they are good up to 700 HP.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
I know. The Greddy tuner kit is cheaper than the GTM tuner kit if that's all you were to buy though. I've almost doubled the price of the kit by adding all the accessories and supporting mods that I've purchased with it. Like I said, I only went with the Greddy kit because of fitment issues with the GTM kit.
I have heard/read the same thing about the GTM kit.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 PM
08NismoZ

I bought the Greddy Kit for $6k and installed it myself and so far thats been the smoothest thing with this whole process. I got in touch with Sam at GTM and he was very helpfull and full of knowledge (and possibly the busiest guy on the face of the planet). So after talking to Sam I bought the GTM stage 2 fuel system w/ 800cc injectors, hks boost controller, 50ft. heat wrap, turbo blankets, and tried to purchase the Osiris tuner but somethings going on with their data cables so after a month and a half of waiting, I canned that plan and sent my ecu to GTM to do a base map install, then next week i'll be driving a couple hours south to Injected Performance to let them tune my car with their Osiris master cable. So my total cost before whatever my bill from Injected is going to be, is sitting right around $10k and the car has been down for about 6 weeks now pretty much all due to waiting on parts. I've heard of fitment issues with the GTM kit (the whole Forged Performance deal???) but all I can comment on is the Greddy kit, which has gone together fairly smooth. Some fitment issues are the two pipe that connect to the throttle bodies are to big not allowing me to put my factory strut tower brace back on, the front body stabilizer had to be modified to fit behind the intercooler. The Greddy kit uses the Tial external wastegates w/ open dump pipes. Oh and jiggy the greddy turbos are oil cooled. I'm a little worried with summer driving and how big the intercooler is (it literally leaves about 30% of the radiator exposed), that I might have oil temp problems but I guess we'll see.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:13 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by RoTors350Z
OP mentioned Stage 2 for GTM kits and they are good up to 700 HP.
I guess you didn't read his entire post . He also mentioned the Greddy kit which is also rated to 700hp. BTW, didn't you have fitment issues with the GTM kit?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Goo$e
Banned

Originally Posted by 08NismoZ
I bought the Greddy Kit for $6k and installed it myself and so far thats been the smoothest thing with this whole process. I got in touch with Sam at GTM and he was very helpfull and full of knowledge (and possibly the busiest guy on the face of the planet). So after talking to Sam I bought the GTM stage 2 fuel system w/ 800cc injectors, hks boost controller, 50ft. heat wrap, turbo blankets, and tried to purchase the Osiris tuner but somethings going on with their data cables so after a month and a half of waiting, I canned that plan and sent my ecu to GTM to do a base map install, then next week i'll be driving a couple hours south to Injected Performance to let them tune my car with their Osiris master cable. So my total cost before whatever my bill from Injected is going to be, is sitting right around $10k and the car has been down for about 6 weeks now pretty much all due to waiting on parts. I've heard of fitment issues with the GTM kit (the whole Forged Performance deal???) but all I can comment on is the Greddy kit, which has gone together fairly smooth. Some fitment issues are the two pipe that connect to the throttle bodies are to big not allowing me to put my factory strut tower brace back on, the front body stabilizer had to be modified to fit behind the intercooler. The Greddy kit uses the Tial external wastegates w/ open dump pipes. Oh and jiggy the greddy turbos are oil cooled. I'm a little worried with summer driving and how big the intercooler is (it literally leaves about 30% of the radiator exposed), that I might have oil temp problems but I guess we'll see.
Bold 1: Yep. This is true. lol.

Bold 2: When I keep reading that ppl are having fitment issues it seems to come from DIY ppl and not qualified installers. Seems like qualified installers don't seem to have fitment issues. I dunno, but I just call BS on the whole fitment issues thing. Let's not turn this thread into a FP thread either. So don't be quoting what I say and start talking about FP and their install. Anyways my 2 cents.

Last edited by Goo$e; 04-15-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbonator FTW!!!

Quick Reply: Deciding between stage 2 GTM or Greddy TT kit for the HR