Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Needin advice and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 AM
d.sted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needin advice and opinions

Got a 2007 350 with vr engine. Changed plugs and cleaned up throttle bodies with a rag, no spray directly, went to relearn ecm idle and couldn't get to go thru. So took it to Nissan dealership and they tried with no luck. It would hold new program for a few seconds then back to high idle. Said problem is ecm and I need new one at about 1000 bucks. Question is surely they would know with there computer hooked up if I had screwed up throttle bodies somehow before they went with new ecm right??? Any thoughts? Had no ecm issues before did the cleaning and they weren't really that bad. I did move the butterfly for cleaning but they weren't hooked up electronically.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 AM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Did you advise the dealer of what you did prior to the diagnostics?

And yes they could recommend a computer and be wrong happens all the time. The good news is if they're wrong they'll take it back out and try something else.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 AM
d.sted

Yes I told them exactly what I had done. If they take computer back if it was not the problem wouldn't be as bad. Just seemed like they didn't check anything else, but I'm (guessin)
the OBD would have told them if there was. No other codes come on but the p0507 and it surges idle speed as in 1500 to 1000rpms
Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery and also disconnect the throttle bodies before touching them?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:35 AM
PP08HR

Was the vehicle doing this before your attempt to clean the Throttle bodies...? I mean what prompted you to clean them?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:58 AM
d.sted

Car has 125k miles on it. Jus got it while back and changed plugs,thinkin they were the original ones,and basic cleanin it up. Checked injectors and cleaned intake which was a bit oily but not real bad. No idle issues before hand. Yes had battery disconnected and throttle bodies disconnected. Been lookin thru code numbers and if throttle bodies were screwed wouldn't they throw a throttle code? Says check pcv and maf and all but the only code it throws is p0507 which is the idle learn code. The butterflies on throttle move ok when started but surge like the idle.( open n close slightly) Tech says ecm is jus not holdin the new idle parameters
Old 02-22-2016, 12:17 PM
PP08HR

Well dude if you haven't had any accidents or rodent damage to your wiring then maybe they're right! If you approve the ecu repair then ask them up front if that doesn't work will they take it back out...
Old 02-22-2016, 12:51 PM
d.sted

Just seems odd. Or jus my luck!! Tried cleaning up the girl and she ####s me lol He tried a reflash and everything. Was reading another poster and he mention a used ecu and using a uprev system to bypass the key reassigning from the dealership. Anyone know anything about that? Might as well upgrade with a tuneable option system if I have to. Probably cheaper.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:40 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Its normal to have idle problems on the 350Z after cleaning the throttle bodies, you might try to do a manual idle air relearn.

It sounds like you did everything correctly so it is unlikely you killed the throttle bodies or ECU. The reason I asked is because there are people that have killed both the throttle bodies and ECU by ether not disconnecting the battery or not disconnecting the throttle bodies when moving the throttle plates.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:56 PM
d.sted

Ya I tried all of the manual type relearns multipllllle times before I took it in. Jus talked with tech again before I ordered new ecu at 1175 installed, says ecu is faulty cause it wont accept the new idle parameters due to the cleaning and tune up. Asked again about throttle bodies and if there were other issues wouldn't it have thrown other codes and he agreed..So I guess its ecu time. Theres a company on ebay that repairs ecu for 200 which is hell lot better than 1200 but don't really like used or refurbished stuff.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:13 PM
d.sted

Wow jus googled ebay repair place less than an hour from my place. Might be roadtrip time.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:20 PM
NissanZcrazy

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by d.sted
Just seems odd. Or jus my luck!! Tried cleaning up the girl and she ####s me lol He tried a reflash and everything. Was reading another poster and he mention a used ecu and using a uprev system to bypass the key reassigning from the dealership. Anyone know anything about that? Might as well upgrade with a tuneable option system if I have to. Probably cheaper.
I was going to ask if they tried reflashing the ecu but I guess they did.
Osiris can get rid of the NATS(Key programming) BUT reflashing your present ECU with Osiris won't make any sense,But I believe Osiris can adjust idle speed.I know when I had my car tuned for boost my tuner adjusted my idle speed up a bit.IIrc Osisris basic is selling for $550.

It does seem weird that after cleaning your throttle bodies out your ecu goes for a dump.You're certain you disconnected the battery before you moved the butterflies?
Old 02-22-2016, 02:31 PM
NissanZcrazy

As long as the tech performed the FSM step by step procedure for the code properly there's nothing left but to replace the ecu
The following users liked this post:
PP08HR (02-23-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 02:51 PM
d.sted

Ive disconnected that neg terminal on battery so many times its worn out workin on the car. lol So (pretty) sure I did. Gonna check out that ebay SIA repair place in Tilden Illinois tomorrow. Pretty small town so might be a cheap alternative for anyone in the future with ECU probs. 200 ALOT better than new cost plus its a plug n play so wont need reflashed just the manual relearns which hopefully will be corrected. When doin the relearn ya hear the clickin under the hood and flashin the mil light it just wont hold the new settings. Ill keep ya posted. Thanks for all the replies back.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 AM
NissanZcrazy

Did you get your throttle body concerns figured out?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:53 AM
d.sted

Took computer into a rebuild place and they saw nothing wrong hardware Not sure they would know a programming problem but I'm guessin!! Put new pcv valve in, new intake gaskets, and looked everything over again for the hundredth time.Tried the relearn couple dozen times. Still surging!! p0507 So ive ordered a new computer. $700 online and let dealer reprogram shouldn't be more than an hr on there end. Ill have it all undone dash wise. Done a lot of searchin seems alot of nissans have had this problem but no real answers of what fixes it. Guess throttle bodies will be next if this don't work but think it would throw a throttle code if that was it. What I do know is my tune up/ clean up is startin to cost a chit load!!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 AM
NissanZcrazy

I will be quite surprised if it ends up being your ECU. If I get a chance I'll print off the diagnostic flow chart at work, But like I said before. If the tech that looked at your car went through the proper procedures and came to the conclusion that the ecu is at fault then I guess that's the case.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM
d.sted

Ya ill be a happy man if he was right. But not gonna be shocked otherwise. Its crazy!!! Scares me to do anything else to it. lol. I had plans for it.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 PM
d.sted

Happy Days its runnin again. Turns out it was computer. Guessin software went bad. 700 for new puter and 80 bucks to reprogram. Damm expensive tune up, coulda been half way to some good rims. lol Thanks all for your replies and 2 cents, not sure how it happened but dam glad its over.