Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Hr regrets

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ashram
Thanks for the feedback guys , but o one really answered my original question, which is if you guys had to do it all over would you go with the de 350z over the HR

now that most of the super charger kits and single turbo kits for the de can be had at such bargains these days .

No regrets here. I knew I had to have an 07-08 Z when I had an 07 G35 loaner when the V36 first debut.

It all depends on you goals for the car. If you want to go FI and are planning on a rebuild then its best to go with an 03-06 car.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:00 PM
roplusbee

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I guess I need to answer the question properly! I would only go with a DE if I know (and trusted) someone to build it with forged internals. That being said, I skipped all of that and went with the 370z NSIMO Edition. While it was great compared to a 370z Sport, it wasn't great compared to a 350z NISMO Edition. Granted there are some ergonamic changes for the better with the 370z version, it just wasn't enough to say that it was better overall. All in all, I would choose the HR Z (whether NISMO Edition or not) over a DE, DE REV-UP, or VHR. Whenever my car goes on the dyno, I will post my sheet and it should be a wastegate only (about 6 PSI). I have big plans, but I need to do a good shakedown first.............

Last edited by roplusbee; 06-12-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:16 PM
roplusbee

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Juztin
FI will want your car at their shop, that is one of the reasons I didn't bite the bullet from my scenario but they were up for it last I talked with them - I just don't want to deal with the hassle and costs of shipping a car to Cali, trailing my car to CO from NM and back again soured my desire it doing that part myself. The other reason is I just don't want to throw away my GTM kit and would rather just frankenstein in upgraded turbo's with CJM's manifolds they are offering and use what I already have rather than rip and replace as the rest works fine.

JMS already has a proven HR TT kit that hit almost 1000whp, so they are another option to not overlook but probably $$$. Either way, all the current TT kits are pretty much $10K, the days of $7K TT kits seem to be gone.

Having the chance to do it all over again I would get a used 350z shell and put an LSx in it. That would be my #1 in all honesty (that's my next route after I am done maxing out my turbo setup unless I end up really liking the bigger turbos I want to run), #2 would be just to stick with HR as it's got enough support and ability like any other generation. Like others have mentioned you just end up using a mix of DE/VHR parts depending on what your doing.
I feel you on the FI thing. I have no problem taking my car to them, by either shipping or dropping it off. i spoke with Tony (I met him at ZDayZ 2013) and some other guy (that I never met) about making it happen AND I didn't have a timeline constraint. The fact that no-one got back to me deterred me from chasing that course of action. They are a great company AND make a top notch product, but I am not going to chase anyone for anything.

I disagree with the LSX (choose your poison) in any Nissan Z Car. If that is what floats your boat, go right ahead. I plan on making examples of quite a few make/model (and the drivers at that). I mean modifiy to your hearts content, but don't go and change it up completely. I wouldn't even drop another Nissan motor in my Z, but that is just me!
Old 06-12-2016, 03:45 PM
venture210

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

While you are concerned about the benefits of a DE over an HR, I'm over here doing the exact opposite lol NO RAGRETS! Love your HR for what it is. Sure there are a lot of bolt on SC or turbo kits that provide awesome results, but the beauty of the HR lies with fact that you have to be creative and enthusiastic to properly boost it. Then once it is boosted, it makes power much more efficiently than the DE. Naturally, the symmetry of the HR begs for a twin turbo kit. With the way our from end is designed, doing a vertical intercooler as opposed to the traditional horizontal isn't much of a challenge either. Vertical intercoolers have proven to be more efficient than horizontal anyways. I sure hope I dont miss my DE after I get my HR swapped in. Drop in greddy cams and the "poor mans" stroker kit are likely going to make the car 10x more fun than it was with the revup motor
Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

the main reason i ditched my HR is that it wasn't getting any faster without dumping a ton of money into it. do i regret it getting it vs de, no not at all. if i were to buy another one, i would still get an HR.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:56 PM
ashram

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again everyone for the great Feed back it's good to see the community is still strong , to answer my own question .

If I had to do it again I would get the de but only because there are such good deals now on used vortec and turbonetic kits . I'm only looking for about 420-400 bhp and the turn key kits like those would suit my power needs .

With that being said I believe my boost fever is starting to wear off now and I'm probably not gonna complicate things by adding boost .I may do an intake , headers another tune and call it a day . Even though I said I was done modding after art pipes and exhaust lol.